PDA

View Full Version : Celina vs. Gladewater

d0tc0m
11-14-2016, 09:06 AM
This game is going to be played at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Forney.

I'm not sure if Celina has ever played Gladewater, but I know they haven't faced off in my lifetime. I know the Bears like to run the ball and then run it some more. I know they've got some bruisers in the backfield and a burner at QB who you better account for on every snap. Other than those things, I don't know what to expect.

I've seen a bit of film, including the Gilmer game. But I can't get a very good feel for the Bears yet. I think they'll present a pretty big challenge for the Bobcats. They'll definitely be the fastest and most physical team Celina has played since Argyle.

Any of you Gilmer folks have any insight into Gladewater, and what the key is to knocking off the Bears?

Aesculus gilmus
11-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Friend of mine saw them in person the other night and predicts you'll win.

Their secondary has some problems, I think. Of course, he said Tatum couldn't pass at all, so they weren't able to exploit that.

d0tc0m
11-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Friend of mine saw them in person the other night and predicts you'll win.

Their secondary has some problems, I think. Of course, he said Tatum couldn't pass at all, so they weren't able to exploit that.

Interesting. I know Tatum hasn't really been a passing team this year, so perhaps they made the Gladewater secondary look really good.

One of the keys for Celina, I think, will be getting the Gladewater offense off the field quickly. We can't let them establish those long drives with 3-, 4- and 5-yard running plays on every down. We've got to keep them playing behind the sticks, force them into passing situations, and make sure when they do drop back to pass we've got a spy on their QB. I imagine if he drops back to pass and sees any green in front of him, he'll take off and be hard to bring down.

If we can keep their offense on the sideline, I think our offensive line, which is MASSIVE, will wear their defense out, eventually. To do that, we've got to make sure we consistently win the snap on first down. Keep it second- and third-and-manageable, and we can sustain drives.

waterboy
11-14-2016, 12:17 PM
This is definitely a game I'd like to see. I honestly can't pick a winner in this one. I will say that the huge offensive line of Celina will make it difficult for the Bears to get consistent stops, especially later in the game. If the Bears can play-action pass effectively, I think the Bears have a legit shot at the win. The Bear RBs are big (in excess of 220) with good speed, and will mash a defense with regularity, plus if their QB Calloway ever gets into the open field he'll take it to the house. This game will definitely be worth the drive and the price of admission.

d0tc0m
11-14-2016, 12:34 PM
This is definitely a game I'd like to see. I honestly can't pick a winner in this one. I will say that the huge offensive line of Celina will make it difficult for the Bears to get consistent stops, especially later in the game. If the Bears can play-action pass effectively, I think the Bears have a legit shot at the win. The Bear RBs are big (in excess of 220) with good speed, and will mash a defense with regularity, plus if their QB Calloway ever gets into the open field he'll take it to the house. This game will definitely be worth the drive and the price of admission.

You just hit on the things that concern me most about this Bears team. They don't pass a ton, but they pass efficiently. Their play action packages look extremely difficult to defend, and that's a credit to the run game. The RBs are big and anything but slow. Callaway isn't big, but, my Lord, that boy can fly, and he actually throws a pretty decent ball from what I've seen.

I also think the Gladewater defense is good enough to make some tough sledding for the Bobcats, especially early on in the game, if they come out fired up, which they're sure to do.

This will be a tough matchup for Celina, for sure. The good news is, they've seen a ton of teams that run this style of offense already this year. None of them were on the level of Gladewater, obviously, but from a schematic/install point-of-view, it makes things a bit easier on the DC, getting personnel in the right position, getting guys' assignments sorted out, etc.

waterboy
11-14-2016, 03:49 PM
You just hit on the things that concern me most about this Bears team. They don't pass a ton, but they pass efficiently. Their play action packages look extremely difficult to defend, and that's a credit to the run game. The RBs are big and anything but slow. Callaway isn't big, but, my Lord, that boy can fly, and he actually throws a pretty decent ball from what I've seen.

I also think the Gladewater defense is good enough to make some tough sledding for the Bobcats, especially early on in the game, if they come out fired up, which they're sure to do.

This will be a tough matchup for Celina, for sure. The good news is, they've seen a ton of teams that run this style of offense already this year. None of them were on the level of Gladewater, obviously, but from a schematic/install point-of-view, it makes things a bit easier on the DC, getting personnel in the right position, getting guys' assignments sorted out, etc.

Gladewater has been kind of hit and miss with their play-action passing. That gives you hope. Their running game is brutal, though, and their defense is pretty stout. Their best defense (although very good in its own right) is their offense most of the time. It's hard to get into a rhythm against them because of that. The pressure to score when you do have the ball starts to mount after a while because their defense is good enough to keep them in it even when their offense is not hitting on all cylinders. I don't think there's any real comparison to the teams that Celina has played that ran their type of offense. Gladewater is extremely physical on both sides of the ball. The question in my mind is how Gladewater handles the big stage and the mystique of a storied program like Celina.

d0tc0m
11-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Gladewater has been kind of hit and miss with their play-action passing. That gives you hope. Their running game is brutal, though, and their defense is pretty stout. Their best defense (although very good in its own right) is their offense most of the time. It's hard to get into a rhythm against them because of that. The pressure to score when you do have the ball starts to mount after a while because their defense is good enough to keep them in it even when their offense is not hitting on all cylinders. I don't think there's any real comparison to the teams that Celina has played that ran their type of offense. Gladewater is extremely physical on both sides of the ball. The question in my mind is how Gladewater handles the big stage and the mystique of a storied program like Celina.

I'll have to watch more film, I guess. I've only seen highlights so far, so their play-action game looks to be on point. It's easy to edit film to make it look as such. There's no doubt they'll be physical and fast. Historically speaking, Celina has fared very well against brutal running games that play this style of offense. One thing is for sure, these boys are going to be sore come Saturday morning. It's a lot easier to deal with the soreness after a W, though.

If Celina can control both lines of scrimmage, get some early success on offense and snag an early lead, I like our chances. If we allow Gladewater to dictate our pace/style of play, it could be tough.

Dawgs
11-14-2016, 08:27 PM
How good is Celina? It's hard for people outside of the area to know. Got beat by a bad Princeton team, and blow out by Argyle 1st 2 games of the year. I know they haven't lost a game since, but they haven't played many quality teams since. I definelty don't think they have played 1 team better than GW, with the exception of Argyle. But with that said I know how those 1st 2 games of the season go. You can look like a completely different team by week 12. And Celina has been blowing people out. I don't think you can pick this game. Just don't have enough info on Celina. I think you know who GW is at this point. Not tier 1 as the guys on the show say, but definelty a high teir 2 team. Very interesting game here. I'll take the Bears, but just cause I am an bEastTexas homer.

jason
11-15-2016, 09:10 AM
me and emerson, and maybe 3afan, coming to this one....we will sit on the side of whoever will buy us nachos and a coke...

d0tc0m
11-15-2016, 09:47 AM
How good is Celina? It's hard for people outside of the area to know. Got beat by a bad Princeton team, and blow out by Argyle 1st 2 games of the year. I know they haven't lost a game since, but they haven't played many quality teams since. I definelty don't think they have played 1 team better than GW, with the exception of Argyle. But with that said I know how those 1st 2 games of the season go. You can look like a completely different team by week 12. And Celina has been blowing people out. I don't think you can pick this game. Just don't have enough info on Celina. I think you know who GW is at this point. Not tier 1 as the guys on the show say, but definelty a high teir 2 team. Very interesting game here. I'll take the Bears, but just cause I am an bEastTexas homer.

I can say this, confidently, Celina is a much, much better team than they were in the first three games of the season. The loss to Princeton was hard to swallow. But this group of kids came in very complacent this season, feeling arrogant and swelled up after the run to the title game last year. They thought they could coattail the 2015 team and other squads, like Princeton, would just bow down and move out of the way. They found out very quickly that that wasn't the case. A lack of preparation, a lack of focus and a lack of execution made Princeton look like world beaters, when, in reality, it never should have been a game. If those two teams played again now, Celina would win by a large margin.

That same lack of focus, preparation and execution carried over in the Argyle game, as well. And against a team like the Eagles, you simply can't afford those mistakes. Argyle is a fine-tuned team, and if you have any lapses, they make you pay for them, which they did against the Bobcats. I'm not saying Celina would beat Argyle if they played again this week, but I can say the game would not be decided until late in the fourth quarter.

Those two losses, however, were about the best thing that could have happened to this Celina team. This particular group of kids needed to be reminded that they aren't invincible, and they have to work hard and prepare diligently each and every week. Those losses humbled them back to the point of making them hungry again, and willing to do what is necessary to get back to winning and playing the Celina brand of football. The other thing to remember is this team is actually very young ... much younger than even I expected them to be.

Personnel-wise, the staff has made a ton of changes, and kids are in completely different places than they were at the start of the season. Those changes have paid huge dividends. The strength of schedule isn't anything to write home about, but the Bobcats have done what you're supposed to do in those games. They've won convincingly. But more than that, they've made adjustments, corrected some issues and have begun executing with a bit more efficiency. They're far from a perfect team, obviously, and there are/will always be things to work on and iron out. But this team is fully capable of knocking off Gladewater, winning Region II and making another run to the dome. I'm not predicting that to happen, necessarily, but this team could make that kind of run.

Dawgs
11-15-2016, 09:40 PM
I can say this, confidently, Celina is a much, much better team than they were in the first three games of the season. The loss to Princeton was hard to swallow. But this group of kids came in very complacent this season, feeling arrogant and swelled up after the run to the title game last year. They thought they could coattail the 2015 team and other squads, like Princeton, would just bow down and move out of the way. They found out very quickly that that wasn't the case. A lack of preparation, a lack of focus and a lack of execution made Princeton look like world beaters, when, in reality, it never should have been a game. If those two teams played again now, Celina would win by a large margin.

That same lack of focus, preparation and execution carried over in the Argyle game, as well. And against a team like the Eagles, you simply can't afford those mistakes. Argyle is a fine-tuned team, and if you have any lapses, they make you pay for them, which they did against the Bobcats. I'm not saying Celina would beat Argyle if they played again this week, but I can say the game would not be decided until late in the fourth quarter.

Those two losses, however, were about the best thing that could have happened to this Celina team. This particular group of kids needed to be reminded that they aren't invincible, and they have to work hard and prepare diligently each and every week. Those losses humbled them back to the point of making them hungry again, and willing to do what is necessary to get back to winning and playing the Celina brand of football. The other thing to remember is this team is actually very young ... much younger than even I expected them to be.

Personnel-wise, the staff has made a ton of changes, and kids are in completely different places than they were at the start of the season. Those changes have paid huge dividends. The strength of schedule isn't anything to write home about, but the Bobcats have done what you're supposed to do in those games. They've won convincingly. But more than that, they've made adjustments, corrected some issues and have begun executing with a bit more efficiency. They're far from a perfect team, obviously, and there are/will always be things to work on and iron out. But this team is fully capable of knocking off Gladewater, winning Region II and making another run to the dome. I'm not predicting that to happen, necessarily, but this team could make that kind of run.

Great post.

bobcat1
11-15-2016, 10:10 PM
All I know is somebody going to thump thump after this one. That is my prediction. Now who hates that game as bad as me?? Celina? Gladewater? We'll see.

LionFan72
11-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Think Celina may have woke up in time for the playoff, Bobcats by 10.

d0tc0m
11-16-2016, 08:40 AM
All I know is somebody going to thump thump after this one. That is my prediction. Now who hates that game as bad as me?? Celina? Gladewater? We'll see.

Yuck. The only thing worse than thump thump is soccer.

Old Green
11-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Yuck. The only thing worse than thump thump is soccer.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d0tc0m
11-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Think Celina may have woke up in time for the playoff, Bobcats by 10.

I think you may be right. Heard a couple of people say this has been the best week - so far - of preparation they've seen from this team. Hope that translates over on Friday, because it'd sure be nice to savor a 10-point win come Saturday morning.

jason
11-16-2016, 03:25 PM
anyone in celina got a hook up for some tickets !?!?!

Emerson1
11-16-2016, 03:26 PM
me and emerson, and maybe 3afan, coming to this one....we will sit on the side of whoever will buy us nachos and a coke...

We'll sit wherever the wind isn't blowing.

waterboy
11-17-2016, 01:35 PM
We'll sit wherever the wind isn't blowing.

In the press box? :D

Emerson1
11-18-2016, 12:19 PM
If you are coming from Celina cut through town and come from the west on 741. If you come from Gladewater cut over to 20 and take 741 from the east.

How many fans can we expect to show up?

waterboy
11-18-2016, 02:14 PM
If you are coming from Celina cut through town and come from the west on 741. If you come from Gladewater cut over to 20 and take 741 from the east.

How many fans can we expect to show up?

Gladewater - 1924
Celina - 1455

Total - 3379

Must be the weather... :D

alaskacat
11-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Where is the radio broadcast link fr celina tonight. The posted links d0nt wprk

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 08:57 PM
http://mixlr.com/mark-kissinger/

jason
11-18-2016, 09:05 PM
Was running late. Got to stadium and saw 28-0 so we left. Going to bar.

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 09:10 PM
was running late. Got to stadium and saw 28-0 so we left. Going to bar.
lmao!

lostaussie
11-18-2016, 09:50 PM
Man I was dead wrong on this one

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Man I was dead wrong on this one

Me too. 34-6 at the half Couldn't believe we missed that extra point.:taunt:

d0tc0m
11-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Me too. 34-6 at the half Couldn't believe we missed that extra point.:taunt:

And Celina fumbled deep in Gladewater, about to score. Gladewater's lone score came when they got an INT on a bad pass in Celina territory. This one is worse than the score shows.

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 10:08 PM
And Celina fumbled deep in Gladewater, about to score. Gladewater's lone score came when they got an INT on a bad pass in Celina territory. This one is worse than the score shows.

Gladewater has about 10 false start penalties in the 1st half

lostaussie
11-18-2016, 10:49 PM
37-34 wth???

regaleagle
11-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Celina must be losing their composure, huh?

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:02 PM
Celina must be losing their composure, huh?

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:02 PM
37-34 wth???

2:25 left. We need 1 1st down

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Oh no we got to throw it pick 6 Gladewater 41-37 over Celina pitiful

regaleagle
11-18-2016, 11:06 PM
Pick 6 by Gladewater.....62 yards.

Gladewater now winning by 4 with 2 minutes left

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Oh i thought I said that but then again you love to post that

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:10 PM
Celina 1st and goal at the 5 53 seconds left. My heart is about to blow out
'

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:11 PM
41 seconds Celina at the 2

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:12 PM
3 and goal at the 5 after a loss of 2.

regaleagle
11-18-2016, 11:12 PM
So what's the result??? We are all waiting.......

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:15 PM
4th and inches TD Celina

Celina leads 44-41 7 seconds left

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Finally the offense did something this half

regaleagle
11-18-2016, 11:17 PM
WOW WALLY......WHAT A BALLGAME!!!:clap:

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Celina 44 Gladewater 41 Final

My Gawd Almighty

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:19 PM
Very Sloppy offensively 7 turnovers. You are supposed to lose with 7 turnovers

jason
11-18-2016, 11:19 PM
Celina radio guys are funny...

"Celina wins the freakin' game. We win, you lose...."

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:23 PM
Celina radio guys are funny...

"Celina wins the freakin' game. We win, you lose...."They are the epitome of homers. I love Mark. He's a great big guy and Orange thru and thru

lostaussie
11-18-2016, 11:50 PM
So now that everyone has there composure back......how did Celina get the ball down field after the pick 6?

bobcat1
11-18-2016, 11:55 PM
Hook and Ladder baby.

WOS87
11-19-2016, 03:00 AM
Well Gilmer should be fun in 2 weeks if/when you both make it there.

buckeyebob
11-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Well Gilmer should be fun in 2 weeks if/when you both make it there.

If they bring that damn horn, we will be taking it back home with the trophy

lostaussie
11-19-2016, 09:53 AM

Let's just get there first. Happy with what I saw last night though.

BwdLion73
11-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Hook and Ladder baby.

Lateral? :thinking:

lostaussie
11-19-2016, 10:19 AM

No, he got it right the first time:D

buckeyebob
11-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Let's just get there first. Happy with what I saw last night though.

I get carried away

lostaussie
11-19-2016, 12:55 PM
I get carried away

I know Bob.......it's ok:D

bobcat1
11-19-2016, 03:53 PM

yup Pass to the flat and boom lateral and up the sidelines.

bobcat1
11-19-2016, 03:54 PM

Is that horn still in your memory bank from last year? Just let it go Bob.:wave:

lostaussie
11-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Is that horn still in your memory bank from last year? Just let it go Bob.:wave:

Wait now........couple of times you could of saved gas money and left it at home:wave:

bobcat1
11-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Wait now........couple of times you could of saved gas money and left it at home:wave: But I was not there for those so they don't count. :taunt:

buckeyebob
11-19-2016, 04:45 PM

& I promised not to mention 2014...I am so ashamed...te devil made me do it

bobcat1
11-19-2016, 05:56 PM
& I promised not to mention 2014...I am so ashamed...te devil made me do itWhat happened then? I'm 60 and my memory went poof at 50. I can remember back to about last Christmas. Then it's all a haze.

buckeyebob
11-19-2016, 09:02 PM
What happened then? I'm 60 and my memory went poof at 50. I can remember back to about last Christmas. Then it's all a haze.

I know what you mean...my day today was awesome...I went to the back bedroom & remember why...very proud

lostaussie
11-19-2016, 09:51 PM
What happened then? I'm 60 and my memory went poof at 50. I can remember back to about last Christmas. Then it's all a haze.

I bet you remember that text you sent me after we jumped on y'all early last year. I still laugh about that even though y'all came back and won. That was some funny $#!+

bobcat1
11-19-2016, 11:32 PM
I bet you remember that text you sent me after we jumped on y'all early last year. I still laugh about that even though y'all came back and won. That was some funny $#!+

Honestly I can't but you can remind me. I get a good one off ever now and then.

lostaussie
11-20-2016, 11:07 AM
It went something like "rot ro"

bobcat1
11-20-2016, 12:06 PM
LOL! I remember now.

cbaker06021984
11-20-2016, 01:26 PM
They are the epitome of homers. I love Mark. He's a great big guy and Orange thru and thru

What channel is the Celina radio calls so I can listen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BwdLion73
11-20-2016, 04:45 PM

This was what Bobcat posted Friday. I listened to the last bit of the game and it was quite entertaining! :1popcorn:

XX Man
11-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Did they let Pingleton back on the team?

d0tc0m
11-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Did they let Pingleton back on the team?

He's been back for a while now. Served a one-game suspension.