PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts - Sweeny-Port Isabel Game Story

Scoop27
11-12-2016, 11:32 AM
SINTON — There are defining moments in football games, and for the Sweeny Bulldogs, they came in the third quarter Friday against Port Isabel when they held a potent Tarpon offense to just 11 yards in 12 minutes of play.

Couple that defensive feat with outscoring Port Isabel 21-0 in the second half and it added up to a come-from-behind, 36-21 win in a Class 4A Division II Region IV bidistrict playoff matchup at Sinton’s Pirate Stadium.

“It was awesome,” Sweeny coach Randy Lynch said. “I tell you what, our kids really stepped it up in the second half. We talked to them at halftime, made some adjustments defensively. But offensively and defensively, we played about as well as we could in the second half. The credit goes to the kids and defensive staff for making adjustments.”

The Bulldog defense gave up 221 rushing yards in the first half, including allowing 151 to Tarpon senior Omar Silva, and Sweeny trailed 21-15 going into the locker room.

“We tried putting in another defensive package and we knew they were going to go a lot of two tight ends and just run the ball,” Lynch said of the adjustments. “We just did what we were not used to doing and it worked for us.”

It certainly did, as the defense held Silva to just 50 yards in the second half. But the speedy back was hampered somewhat after a second-quarter collision that sent him to the sideline with what seemed a shoulder injury. After that, he never ran the ball the same.

“It was his shoulder and they put a brace on it, but it was bothering him,” Port Isabel coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “It hurt him and it slowed him down big-time.”

Sweeny’s Evan Green (17-142 rushing) picked up the pace for the Bulldogs after being held to just 10 yards on the ground in the first half. The senior quarterback had some tough touchdown runs of 19, 52 and 37 yards in the second half.

“We knew we could come back and we had been down before,” Green said. “For us, it was really just pushing harder, we just had to focus. We know we have the talent and we know we can do whatever we want against anybody, and for us it is just a matter of focus, hard work and dedication.”

It was quite a first half between the Bulldogs and Tarpons as they went back and forth like a couple of fighters.

Both threw big salvos with Sweeny’s Green hitting Donovan Banks in stride for a 59-yard score early in the second period.

But the Tarpons had its own big-play man in Silva, who ripped off a 77-yard run to get Port Isabel on the board for the first time in the first period.

Green added a 1-yard score in the first quarter for the Bulldogs’ first score, then Malik Willer added a two-point conversion for an 8-0 lead.

But the Tarpon running game just kept plugging along against Sweeny’s defense, with Silva, Carlos Orduna (4-36 yards) and Travis Camacho (6-34) leading the charge.

Sophomore quarterback Cesar Aguilera connected with Jesus Saldivar, who was wide open in the end zone, on an 11-yard score that gave the Tarpons the 21-15 lead with 2:44 before halftime.

The Bulldogs (7-4) will move on to face either Navarro or Poteet.

Port Isabel finishes the season at 9-2.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Like I was saying to SHSBulldog, deep down I knew Port Isabel had no chance of winning. The only surprise here was the fact PI moved the ball on Sweeny in the 1st half. What happened in the 2nd half is more in line with how I expected the game to go.

It only took a single halftime adjustment to shut down Port Isabel's extremely simple offense......SMH

Change is extremely long overdue in Port Isabel. Thank you to Sweeny for once again showing our inept school board how far Port Isabel football has fallen. The ball is in their court now, lets see what happens.

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2016, 12:51 PM
It was the first time since 1983 that Port Isabel and Sweeny played each other. Great turn out by the PI fans and a good turnout for the Sweeny fans. Omar Silva has some really good speed, I'd like to know where he goes to college if he decides to continue his career.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Port Isabel fans usually travel well and are pretty boisterous especially in the playoffs. But to be frank, it's been a long time since we last played football during Thanksgiving. If something doesn't change soon, it won't happen again for a very long time, if ever.

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2016, 05:30 PM
it's cyclical; just have to survive the rough seasons. Although I'd like a 9-2 season to be considered a rough season in Sweeny, but I understand what you mean.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-12-2016, 07:53 PM
it's cyclical; just have to survive the rough seasons. Although I'd like a 9-2 season to be considered a rough season in Sweeny, but I understand what you mean.

I wouldn't call having the same coach for 17 years "cyclical". And as far as the 9-1 regular season goes, that's what happens when you play against a bunch of cupcakes a 4A D1 team that lost to Rockport last night, and a decent-ish TAPPS 5A team that tries to recruit the hell out of the RGV area.

And during those 17 seasons, there's been a few very good seasons (1 State Semi-final run, 1 Quarterfinal run, a couple 3rd Round appearances) But out of those 17 seasons, most of them were average seaons. 5-5, 6-4, 7-3, and two back-to-back 4-6 seasons where we didn't even make the playoffs at all. There's also been some average seaons where we beat a cupcake in Round 1 of the playoffs. Of course this was prior to the Division split. The one LONE exception was 2013, 10-0 but lost to La Vernia in Round 3.

footballgal
11-12-2016, 11:27 PM
I didn't know there was a Sweeny Bulldog Port Isabel Tarpons thread here... lol

Anyways, I wanted to congratulate Sweeny on a good game. Bulldogs coaching staff made some necessary halftime adjustments and your QB made some nice runs for those 2nd half TDs for the lead and the win.

Best wishes in the next round against a very good Navarro team. It will be a tough challenge but not impossible. Just have to adjust to their running game from the get go, to keep the game in reach because you do have the personal to have a very good defense IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-12-2016, 11:42 PM
@ footballgal - There actually wasn't a PI/Sweeny thread on here at all. This thread was made after the game to post text from the Brazosport newspaper after the game.