PDA

View Full Version : Vote for one true champ per class

sourhern
11-07-2016, 02:15 PM
If you would like to see one true champ per class vote here to make one more game. https://www.uiltexas.org/machform/view.php?id=30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sourhern
11-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Let's have the D1 and D2 champs meet, for one more week of football.

WOS87
11-07-2016, 04:40 PM
In 1951 when the UIL expanded to 4 Classifications to advance to a state title it was in the rules the top two class champions could choose to play for an overall winner but it never happened. Both teams had to agree to it and I still wonder who would've voted no? The larger school seems the obvious answer.

WOS would've gladly played La Vega pre-district this year (we've played them before) but strangely after receiving about 30 resounding nos we filled the last game with KIPP

Txbroadcaster
11-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Never worked well in bball and would not in football, just anti-climatic and the teams would never invest into it fully.

GUNHO
11-07-2016, 05:21 PM
You win a championship and you want to taint that with a possible loss?I don't think so.No one remembers who comes in second.lol

slingshot
11-07-2016, 06:02 PM
That would then be the de-facto state championship, the DI and DII title games would in reality be the semi's... it would be fine to do it but would need to cut the '4 teams from each district make the playoffs' crap. 7 playoff games is too many... heck 6 is too many. Just go back to 2 teams make it from each district--that was the 'sweet spot'.

Yoe_09
11-07-2016, 06:06 PM
I like the current format. I believe it's the most fair and at the same time does not water down the game IMO. I also don't have a problem with four teams in most cases.

WOS87
11-07-2016, 07:01 PM
I like the current format. I believe it's the most fair and at the same time does not water down the game IMO. I also don't have a problem with four teams in most cases.

You never had to play an 0-10 team in Bi-District did you?

stardog
11-07-2016, 10:14 PM

Agree with Yoe_09 - Through 2013 season all teams played districts together, then split to I or II based on size of school - schools could get 1st or 2nd in district but may play D-II for playoffs. You then had "two" SCs for the same 3A classification. Splitting the classification starting 2014 season (now 4A) for the season -now all schools stay in their class for playoff which makes for a separate DI class and DII class SC. So now if you want another game do you play 6A vs 5A, or 5A vs 4A, or 4A vs 3A, or 3A vs 2A ?

Of course 6A and 5A still have or share SC for one class. will they eventually split to DI and DII for season ?

Yoe_09
11-07-2016, 11:39 PM
You never had to play an 0-10 team in Bi-District did you?

Ha, that is why I said most cases. That is one where it's unfortunate. I do not believe in 4-team districts but I do understand travel concerns.

LHPfactory
11-08-2016, 04:15 PM
I think UIL has it dialed in good now. Maybe 5A should split though, 1100 kid high schools competing with 2200 kid HS can be tough when Injuries have a much bigger impact.

You may get a few of the everyone makes it districts, but those are usually weeded out in the 1st round.

Having watched them all, I don't believe WOS would have beaten Argyle or WLV last season and WOS was dang good and deserved to be Champs.

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2016, 04:34 PM
I think UIL has it dialed in good now. Maybe 5A should split though, 1100 kid high schools competing with 2200 kid HS can be tough when Injuries have a much bigger impact.

You may get a few of the everyone makes it districts, but those are usually weeded out in the 1st round.

Having watched them all, I don't believe WOS would have beaten Argyle or WLV last season and WOS was dang good and deserved to be Champs.

WHO the hell is WLV?????

stardog
11-08-2016, 05:09 PM
WHO the hell is WLV?????

Should it be BLV ?

stardog
11-08-2016, 05:10 PM

Didn,t it get voted to split and put on hold for now ?

Also back when two biggest went to D-I and smaller to D-II there were matchups in first round of 1-9 and 2-8 teams. So it took 2nd round to weed them out. Now the 1st place - W gets matchup with a 4th place - F team. If F beats W then 1. W is weeded out 1st round or 2. F upsets W and deserves to advance or 3. F is better than W and that whole district might need to be eliminated and better chance for all stronger teams to advance.

PurplePop
11-08-2016, 06:48 PM
You win a championship and you want to taint that with a possible loss?I don't think so.No one remembers who comes in second.lol

Agreed.

1st and goal
11-08-2016, 08:55 PM
It's hard enough making it to the state championship, much less winning it, in this big ole great state.

How big would it make you feel to be the state champ of Rhode Island or Delaware?

But Texas, there is room for D1 and D2.

toddg
11-08-2016, 08:59 PM
WHO the hell is WLV?????West LaVega of course!!

Cam
11-08-2016, 09:14 PM
West LaVega of course!!

....ooohhh.....and I thought it was University of Wolverhampton.....silly me.......

toddg
11-08-2016, 09:18 PM
....ooohhh.....and I thought it was University of Wolverhampton.....silly me.......i dumped two, made in china, 2ton springs just inside china springsss city limits

WOS87
11-09-2016, 01:55 AM
How much did you beat Kennedale by?

LHPfactory
11-09-2016, 01:55 PM
West LaVega of course!!

Yep, see Toddg know what I meant. West LaVega is often confused with Waco LaVega, but you immediately knew. The rest of the folks probably voted for Hillary.... :stirpot::crazy:

LHPfactory
11-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Didn,t it get voted to split and put on hold for now ?

Also back when two biggest went to D-I and smaller to D-II there were matchups in first round of 1-9 and 2-8 teams. So it took 2nd round to weed them out. Now the 1st place - W gets matchup with a 4th place - F team. If F beats W then 1. W is weeded out 1st round or 2. F upsets W and deserves to advance or 3. F is better than W and that whole district might need to be eliminated and better chance for all stronger teams to advance.

Yep, It works itself out and sometimes the #4 from a tough district will beat #1 from a not so tough district, that should happen in Burnet vs Taylor on Friday.

sourhern
11-09-2016, 10:58 PM
My case for this was simply to eliminate any controversy between two champs per class. I think it's kinda everyone gets a participation award. If the two state champs duke it out this is Texas and one more week of football would be beautiful

WOS87
11-09-2016, 11:31 PM

WOS 22, Celina 3
Celina 46, Argyle 36
La Vega 33, Argyle 31

Speculate all you want. It doesn't really matter but I respectfully disagree. Celina and WOS could have won D1 last year.

LHPfactory
11-10-2016, 08:12 AM
WOS 22, Celina 3
Celina 46, Argyle 36
La Vega 33, Argyle 31

Speculate all you want. It doesn't really matter but I respectfully disagree. Celina and WOS could have won D1 last year.

Same here, just my 2 cents on what I saw.
Remember, that was Celina with out their QB, he went down early, It changes the whole dynamic, possession time, scoring, etc, still only led to 22 WOS points.
Also the early season A beat B and B beat C, so it isn't a good comparison.
WOS was fueled by talent, LaVega had even more talent, honestly to much for WOS to handle last year.

sourhern
11-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Thus further proving my point doesn't solve anything 2 champs per class

toddg
11-10-2016, 09:22 AM
d1 and d2 are two different classifications, d2 folks are the only ones crying about it, like winning the d2 championship isnt enough..uil's failure to break it into individual, stand alone classes is the only reason i see for argument. make it 1a to 10a..problem solved.

LHPfactory
11-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Thus further proving my point doesn't solve anything 2 champs per class

Only for the talking heads on discussion boards,

The players (the kids who the game is really about and for) work hard and each earned their title in a highly competitive environment.
WOS = 2015 4A-D2 Champs and earned it.
WLV = 2015 4A-D1 Champs and earned it.

The kids on these championship teams worked hard, fought their way to the championship, earned it, and won it. I can guarantee they the don't think or care about how many other division champs there are, no easy roads, good competition. I know it hurts some of the grown folks feelings, but its about the players, not us. nuff said.

WOS87
11-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Only for the talking heads on discussion boards,

The players (the kids who the game is really about and for) work hard and each earned their title in a highly competitive environment.
WOS = 2015 4A-D2 Champs and earned it.
WLV = 2015 4A-D1 Champs and earned it.

The kids on these championship teams worked hard, fought their way to the championship, earned it, and won it. I can guarantee they the don't think or care about how many other division champs there are, no easy roads, good competition. I know it hurts some of the grown folks feelings, but its about the players, not us. nuff said.

Now that's a post I can 100% agree on. Good luck to everyone still playing. It starts today.

Txbroadcaster
11-10-2016, 11:50 AM
d1 and d2 are two different classifications, d2 folks are the only ones crying about it, like winning the d2 championship isnt enough..uil's failure to break it into individual, stand alone classes is the only reason i see for argument. make it 1a to 10a..problem solved.

Texas has never wanted to have that many classes. But like others said, now that 4A is split fro start of season, I do not even think about it as one class at all.

stardog
11-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Texas has never wanted to have that many classes. But like others said, now that 4A is split fro start of season, I do not even think about it as one class at all.

Another way to see it is:
1. its all 4A - For football - two seperate classifications - I & II
2. All other sports it all 4A - one classification - all together - one SC

Txbroadcaster
11-10-2016, 03:00 PM

yep I agree

stardog
11-10-2016, 05:46 PM
One more option - 3. If D-II thinks it can beat D-I then opt up and play D-I FOOTBALL !!!

WOS87
11-10-2016, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry but where's the D1 team in the top 11? Surely Mr. Massey made a mistake.

http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/computer/boys/football/TX/2016/1

toddg
11-10-2016, 06:36 PM
I'm sorry but where's the D1 team in the top 11? Surely Mr. Massey made a mistake.

http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/computer/boys/football/TX/2016/1LOL!! thats an excellent point 87...but, every team on that top 25 list would pummel both WOS and LaVega..but, its cool that they are on that list..and definitly a show of respect!!

oldtownag
12-09-2016, 06:30 AM
That would then be the de-facto state championship, the DI and DII title games would in reality be the semi's... it would be fine to do it but would need to cut the '4 teams from each district make the playoffs' crap. 7 playoff games is too many... heck 6 is too many. Just go back to 2 teams make it from each district--that was the 'sweet spot'.

Carthage would not have made the playoffs this year!

oldtownag
12-09-2016, 06:51 AM
2010 Henderson won Div 1 Championship and was 3rd place behind Carthage ( Div 2 Champ) and Gilmer in the District of Doom.

P.S. They played Chapel Hill in title game which is only 30 miles from Henderson.

Rocket Man
12-09-2016, 10:41 AM
WHO the hell is WLV?????

Yeah, what he said!!

Matthew328
12-09-2016, 10:52 AM
The current system works, just need a minimum set on district size

RPF2666
12-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Same here, just my 2 cents on what I saw.
Remember, that was Celina with out their QB, he went down early, It changes the whole dynamic, possession time, scoring, etc, still only led to 22 WOS points.
Also the early season A beat B and B beat C, so it isn't a good comparison.
WOS was fueled by talent, LaVega had even more talent, honestly to much for WOS to handle last year.

Glad Celina folk aren't the only ones who remember that! :clap:

LionFan72
12-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Participation trophies, BS, you are either the best in the state, or you are not!! One champion, one state, one nation! All I have.