PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny ISD Superintendent Randy Miksch retires (resigns)

Scoop27
11-02-2016, 03:24 PM
I've known Randy when he used to QB the Needville Bluejays in early 70s

Sweeny ISD board OKs superintendents resignation
Miksch's retirement effective Dec. 30; Nixon to take charge in next few days

By JESSICA KUHN jessica.kuhn@thefacts.com Updated 1 hr ago 0

For the first time in 13 years, Sweeny ISD will have a new face leading its district.

Superintendent Randy Miksch submitted a letter of resignation with an effective retirement date of Dec. 30 to the board of trustees during a special meeting Tuesday night at the administration building.

“After a lot of thought and visiting with family, I have decided that I am going to retire as of Dec. 30,” Miksch said. “I’ve considered a lot of things, had a lot of good times here over the last 38 years, and I think we have done a lot of good things.”

After going behind doors for an hour, trustees reconvened in open session where they voted 6-1 to accept Miksch’s letter dated Nov. 1 before unanimously selecting Gerald Nixon, director of human resources/public relations for the district, as the interim superintendent.

“After some deliberation, in this regard, the decision was discussed by the board and I suppose it will be discussed a little more now to have Mr. Gerald Nixon act as the interim superintendent,” board president Glenn Garrison said.

Miksch previously stold the board at a meeting in January he planned to retire by June 2017.

When asked if moving up the date had anything to do with a grievance filed against Miksch by the district’s former special programs coordinator, Lisa Smith, during the Oct. 11 school board meeting, Garrison said that grievance process still is underway.

“For a whole variety of reasons, the principal one being that the investigative process of that grievance is still underway, I won’t speculate,” he said. “The board immediately when that grievance was handed in asked the attorney who is on retainer for the district to conduct an investigation.”

The Facts submitted an open records request Thursday to obtain a copy of the grievance. Under the Texas Public Information Act, the district has 10 business days to fulfill the request or seek the attorney general’s opinion whether it can withold the document.

In April, trustees launched the search to replace Miksch by hearing a presentation from Executive Search Services representatives — a branch of the Texas Association of School Boards that helps school boards find superintendents.

“We have had two meetings with the Texas Association of School Boards representatives that conduct superintendent searches for a school district our size, and they are entrained to begin the process of bringing a superintendent here,” Garrison said. “The TASB group is actually going to start with community input in the next couple of weeks.”

Garrison said the district hopes to have a finalist for the superintendent position in February or March.

Meanwhile, Nixon will take over day-to-day operations within the next few days, Garrison said.

“Mr. Nixon does have a superintendent certificate, but he has not been a superintendent before, so he will need some help and guidance,” Garrison said. “Mr. Miksch will be available to help him with that, and Mr. Miksch will also be using a number of his accrued days that he has because he has a large number of days.”