PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburg 5-4 (2-2) @ Gilmer 8-1 (4-0)

waterboy
10-31-2016, 12:12 PM
Can Gilmer finish another undefeated district championship, or will Pittsburg be able to pull the upset? Thoughts?

lostaussie
10-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Bucks roll. I hope on the football field and the wheat field. I'll be missing the next 2 games unless I score with the .270 wsm

waterboy
10-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Ima try and make it to this one. Union Hill is having their homecoming, though, and my daughter is the football sweetheart. I'll have to be there until those festivities are over at least. The UH game will be over at halftime most likely, so I'll probably ease out and go to the Buckeye game after the festivities.

Hope you get you one, Aussie!

I'll miss the bi-district game because of work most likely. It's inventory time...:ack!:

Old Green
10-31-2016, 12:22 PM
Bucks roll. I hope on the football field and the wheat field. I'll be missing the next 2 games unless I score with the .270 wsm

What you doing with a gun? Thought you only bow hunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Green
10-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Filmed by 14

lostaussie
10-31-2016, 01:21 PM
What you doing with a gun? Thought you only bow hunted.

Some of both......but I'm getting lazy in my golden years:D

waterboy
10-31-2016, 01:27 PM

Does that include making the wife go after the kill? :D

Old Green
10-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Filmed by 14

Dang spell check. Lol.............

Old Green
10-31-2016, 01:45 PM

I'm going to try the bow for another month before I break out the rifle. .......... good luck to Gilmer.

d0tc0m
10-31-2016, 02:13 PM
I can't get a good enough feel for this Pittsburg team to really get on board with an upset.

Even if Gilmer comes out and continues to be turnover prone, or penalty-heavy, they'll still be far too talented, in my opinion, to lose this game. Buckeyes roll again by three TDs, wrap up a district title, and get ready to embarrass whatever fourth-place team comes out of District 8.

waterboy
10-31-2016, 02:29 PM
It looks like it will be Diboll in bi-district. Ouch.

WOS87
10-31-2016, 03:26 PM
Gilmer will do what they always do. They'll get to Celina and it'll be another shootout like last year except one of you will have an extra game to play.

waterboy
10-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Gilmer will do what they always do. They'll get to Celina and it'll be another shootout like last year except one of you will have an extra game to play.

I wouldn't advise anybody to overlook Gladewater.

WOS87
10-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Remind me how many times Gladewater has beaten Gilmer since 2001?

waterboy
10-31-2016, 03:41 PM
Remind me how many times Gladewater has beaten Gilmer since 2001?

That would be zero, but they keep getting closer... :D I don't know how the brackets are aligned, but wouldn't Gladewater play Celina before Gilmer plays them? I honestly don't know.

WOS87
10-31-2016, 03:52 PM
That would be zero, but they keep getting closer... :D I don't know how the brackets are aligned, but wouldn't Gladewater play Celina before Gilmer plays them? I honestly don't know.

They would indeed. Each district champ will have the #4 seed from their district on their side of the bracket. The #2 and #3 would be on the opposite side.

Aesculus gilmus
10-31-2016, 03:53 PM

Yes, that's correct. I don't see Celina even staying on the field with Gladewater. I think there's a good chance Gladewater might even somehow find a way to beat mighty Krum should they both make it to the semis. But then WOS, the greatest team of all time, will absolutely slaughter the Bears.

I am going to say Gilmer has to beat Diboll, then Canton, then Jasper and then Gladewater again to secure a date with mighty Krum. But at that point I think we stand no chance. Look at the map. Krum is just too close to Argyle. They'll have our number somehow. (Just kidding, I hope.)

WOS87
10-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Yes, that's correct. I don't see Celina even staying on the field with Gladewater. I think there's a good chance Gladewater might even somehow find a way to beat mighty Krum should they both make it to the semis. But then WOS, the greatest team of all time, will absolutely slaughter the Bears.

I am going to say Gilmer has to beat Diboll, then Canton, then Jasper and then Gladewater again to secure a date with mighty Krum. But at that point I think we stand no chance. Look at the map. Krum is just too close to Argyle. They'll have our number somehow. (Just kidding, I hope.)

You should be managing editor of DCTF. That was snarkier than Tepper! ;p

waterboy
10-31-2016, 04:13 PM

Maybe Sweetwater, or somebody else over in Region 1 can dispose of mighty Krum and save us some embarrassment... :D , if we can somehow get to the semis.

WOS87
10-31-2016, 04:21 PM
Apparently I'm out of the loop about the epic battle between Gilmer and Krum. Lemme guesss... Smoaky? Liberty has yet to let go from last week on a similar regional site. WOS has been "exposed" for the fraud they are apparently allowing a team to actually move the ball against it even if it ended with 7 points scored for the game.

Back to Pittsburg. No more hijacking.

waterboy
10-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Apparently I'm out of the loop about the epic battle between Gilmer and Krum. Lemme guesss... Smoaky? Liberty has yet to let go from last week on a similar regional site. WOS has been "exposed" for the fraud they are apparently allowing a team to actually move the ball against it even if it ended with 7 points scored for the game.

Nope. Something Aesculus Gilmus heard somewhere about how Krum would beat the brakes off of us. I don't know where he got that. Maybe he can enlighten us.

WOS87
10-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Nope. Something Aesculus Gilmus heard somewhere about how Krum would beat the brakes off of us. I don't know where he got that. Maybe he can enlighten us.

The Krum that's given up 152 points in the past 4 games? Give me 10 minutes so I can control my laughing.

Aesculus gilmus
10-31-2016, 04:32 PM
It was on the Fox Football Friday app. After they beat Pleasant Grove, some of their fans took that as evidence they can beat any team in our region. I'm not sure they could even beat Pleasant Grove in a rematch now, though. The Hawks seem to have gotten their act together.

I would love to be wrong about Celina up against Gladewater. That way we could get the rematch we want with Celina and then WOS possibly could get the rematch they want with Gilmer as well.

WOS87
10-31-2016, 04:35 PM
They might not even beat Monahans.

waterboy
10-31-2016, 04:45 PM
It was on the Fox Football Friday app. After they beat Pleasant Grove, some of their fans took that as evidence they can beat any team in our region. I'm not sure they could even beat Pleasant Grove in a rematch now, though. The Hawks seem to have gotten their act together.

I would love to be wrong about Celina up against Gladewater. That way we could get the rematch we want with Celina and then WOS possibly could get the rematch they want with Gilmer as well.

This has been a crazy year for football in East Texas. Gilmer loses to Carthage, who loses to both Henderson and Kilgore. Gilmer beats the brakes off of Center by a 70-21 score, and Center beats Kilgore? Good grief!

Even in our district, Pittsburg beats Atlanta 56-20, Atlanta beats Pleasant Grove 14-7, and Pleasant Grove turns around and beats Pittsburg 31-18. A pretty good team stays home in Atlanta.

WOS87
10-31-2016, 04:48 PM
Tell me about it. Only 7 undefeated teams left in all of 4A both divisions with Region IV having 3 of them in Cuero, La Vega and Navarro. I haven't counted recently. There's Van, El Campo, WOS and Argyle. Am I missing anyone?

d0tc0m
10-31-2016, 05:21 PM
I don't see Celina even staying on the field with Gladewater.

That's interesting. What makes you come to that conclusion?

Aesculus gilmus
10-31-2016, 06:04 PM
As I said, I hope Celina has gotten way better and I hope I am wrong. Gladewater seems to have improved since Gilmer barely beat them at home. When Gilmer can only barely beat a team even with a home field advantage, it means that team is VERY, VERY GOOD.

On edit: One thing's for sure. They won't be throwing you "pick sixes" as Gilmer did last year. They throw about five times a game, if that. They don't need to pass. They've got a couple of all-state caliber backs. QB is a speedster also who runs the "I" like a pro. One of the backs, Darnell McKnight, reminds a bit of me of D'Onta Foreman.

WOS87
10-31-2016, 06:11 PM
:1popcorn:

I saw this coming... go on!

lostaussie
10-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Gladewater is praying we have one of those "nights". They would love not to have to deal with us again.

Aesculus gilmus
10-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Don't you know Jasper would love to play Gilmer again, though? And that looks like a good possibility in the third round.

lostaussie
11-01-2016, 06:44 AM
Don't you know Jasper would love to play Gilmer again, though? And that looks like a good possibility in the third round.

Those kids were like 4&5 when we beat them. We have played them once since the championship game if I remember correctly.

Aesculus gilmus
11-01-2016, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I remember the second game, even though I didn't attend. I was talking about their fanbase more than their players.

Gilmer and Jasper have actually played three times since the 2004 game. I looked it up. Twice as the opening game in Tyler and once in bi-district in 2009.

waterboy
11-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Gladewater is praying we have one of those "nights". They would love not to have to deal with us again.

This is true, although I can guarantee nobody from Gladewater will say that. They will say they "want" to play us again.

Right now, all I want is for the Buckeyes to fix the turnovers and silly penalties. One week at a time. It's Pittsburg this week, who is capable of beating us if we are not on top of our game.

d0tc0m
11-01-2016, 09:19 AM
As I said, I hope Celina has gotten way better and I hope I am wrong. Gladewater seems to have improved since Gilmer barely beat them at home. When Gilmer can only barely beat a team even with a home field advantage, it means that team is VERY, VERY GOOD.

On edit: One thing's for sure. They won't be throwing you "pick sixes" as Gilmer did last year. They throw about five times a game, if that. They don't need to pass. They've got a couple of all-state caliber backs. QB is a speedster also who runs the "I" like a pro. One of the backs, Darnell McKnight, reminds a bit of me of D'Onta Foreman.

Well, if they put the ball in the air five times, that means Celina has a chance for five "pick sixes," I believe, if my math is correct.

Celina is drastically improved, actually, The team that lost to Princeton and got blown out by Argyle is not the same team that's been taking the field ever since then. That Princeton loss actually did more for this team than a win would have, to be honest, and the same can probably be said about the Argyle game. This team needed to understand it wasn't the 2015 Bobcats, and it couldn't just ride that team's coattails and expect everybody to lay down for them. It was humbling and I swear losing never tastes good, but it was a learning point for this young team.

Traditionally speaking, Celina has always done well against teams that like to run the ball a ton and only pass a handful of times per game, even those teams with burner QBs. I'd like the Bobcats chances against Gladewater. The team that would concern me more would actually come in the area round ... probably Tatum. I think they'd create more matchup problems for Celina than the Bears would.

Anyway, as WOS87 said earlier, I'm done hijacking! This is a Gilmer/Pitt thread, so I'll let it get back to that!

And, as of Tuesday, I'm still picking Gilmer by three scores in Friday's game.

lostaussie
11-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I remember the second game, even though I didn't attend. I was talking about their fanbase more than their players.

Gilmer and Jasper have actually played three times since the 2004 game. I looked it up. Twice as the opening game in Tyler and once in bi-district in 2009.

Oh yea. I forgot about those two season openers

Aesculus gilmus
11-01-2016, 11:13 AM
I'll get this right eventually. Actually the 2009 season opener against Jasper was in Nac at SFA and then the bi-district rematch that year was in Tyler.

waterboy
11-01-2016, 11:22 AM
I'll get this right eventually. Actually the 2009 season opener against Jasper was in Nac at SFA and then the bi-district rematch that year was in Tyler.

Yep, we beat them 42-14 in Homer Bryce Stadium to start the season, and proceeded to beat them again in bi-district in Rose Stadium 57-21. That was the year of the "Stump", and we went on to win the state championship.

buckeyebob
11-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Ima try and make it to this one. Union Hill is having their homecoming, though, and my daughter is the football sweetheart. I'll have to be there until those festivities are over at least. The UH game will be over at halftime most likely, so I'll probably ease out and go to the Buckeye game after the festivities.

Hope you get you one, Aussie!

I'll miss the bi-district game because of work most likely. It's inventory time...:ack!:

Rumor has it that it will be Thursday night in Tatum with Diboll

waterboy
11-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Rumor has it that it will be Thursday night in Tatum with Diboll

Thursday night? I could do that! But Tatum? I would've thunk a bigger venue than that... It's nice, but not nearly big enough, in my opinion.

buckeyebob
11-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Yep, we beat them 42-14 in Homer Bryce Stadium to start the season, and proceeded to beat them again in bi-district in Rose Stadium 57-21. That was the year of the "Stump", and we went on to win the state championship.

Does this mean we can introduce Cuero into the thread...once upon a time in Huntsville, Texas came a fat bird to do battle with a fat nut & Stump Godfrey...The Run

https://www.youtube.com/user/gilmergreene

Sorry...the devil made me do it

d0tc0m
11-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Does this mean we can introduce Cuero into the thread...once upon a time in Huntsville, Texas came a fat bird to do battle with a fat nut & Stump Godfrey...The Run

https://www.youtube.com/user/gilmergreene

Sorry...the devil made me do it

Greatest play in Gilmer history?

lostaussie
11-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Don't know about the greatest play........but it certainly came at a opportune time:D

d0tc0m
11-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Don't know about the greatest play........but it certainly came at a opportune time:D

I should've phrased the question differently, perhaps. Was that the 'biggest' or most significant play in Gilmer history? The only other one I can think of off the top of my head was the defensive stop against Mack/Gladewater on 4th and inches, followed by the ridiculous run with seconds left by Kris Boyd during that 2014 matchup.

waterboy
11-04-2016, 11:06 AM
We've had quite a few "big" moments... All of those stand out in our minds, and won't be forgotten. :D

Aesculus gilmus
11-04-2016, 12:46 PM
If we are home team, it will be big enough IMO since a Thursday crowd won't be as big.

buckeyebob
11-04-2016, 04:27 PM

We do not have the Number 1 on anything (including jersey's)

It is one of the Top 5 in Buckeye Lore...many discussions around a campfire & a cold Bud

The game itself is also one of the Top 5

100+ years of Buckeye Lore...sweet

buckeyebob
11-04-2016, 04:43 PM
I should've phrased the question differently, perhaps. Was that the 'biggest' or most significant play in Gilmer history? The only other one I can think of off the top of my head was the defensive stop against Mack/Gladewater on 4th and inches, followed by the ridiculous run with seconds left by Kris Boyd during that 2014 matchup.

Gladewater 2014 & 1965 (7-3 Bux) are on the Top 5

WOS 2014 is one of the Top 5 Great Comebacks

2004 State Championship...our 1st

I gotta leave for the game...I'm gona get Mrs buckeye Bob to get the fire going...anybody wanna Bud?

bobcat1
11-04-2016, 10:11 PM
How bad did Gilmer neat Atlanta? Where the heck is Terry? In a deer blind??

Aesculus gilmus
11-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Gilmer beat Pittsburg, 51-35, but trailed much of the time. This score is very deceiving.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pittsburg goes several rounds deep in the playoffs.

Buckeyes took over the game in the fourth quarter. Defense finally came up big with some takeaways after being burned repeatedly on deep passes earlier as well as being gashed on the ground.

Pittsburg almost always plays Gilmer like this. That is a good team that gets better when it lines up against the Buckeyes.

waterboy
11-05-2016, 12:22 AM
Gilmer beat Pittsburg, 51-35, but trailed much of the time. This score is very deceiving.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pittsburg goes several rounds deep in the playoffs.

Buckeyes took over the game in the fourth quarter. Defense finally came up big with some takeaways after being burned repeatedly on deep passes earlier as well as being gashed on the ground.

Pittsburg almost always plays Gilmer like this. That is a good team that gets better when it lines up against the Buckeyes.

What did you expect? I had a feeling Gilmer would be flat and could be resting players. I didn't make it to the game, but after hearing the halftime score, I wasn't that surprised. I also felt the second half would belong to Gilmer. We are everybody's super bowl in these parts. It means something to beat Gilmer, and we almost always see the other team at their best. We got the win, and another undefeated district championship. Now it's playoff time. We should kick it up a notch.