PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer @ Atlanta

lostaussie
10-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Rabs better pull one out of a hat........or they will be on the outside looking in. Looking like a 3 way tie for 3rd with Pleasant Grove, Pitt and Atlanta with the Rabbits on the outside!!!

d0tc0m
10-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Rabs better pull one out of a hat........or they will be on the outside looking in. Looking like a 3 way tie for 3rd with Pleasant Grove, Pitt and Atlanta with the Rabbits on the outside!!!

Atlanta seems to have hit a wall for some reason. The defense struggled mightily against Pitt and then again against Gladewater, and the offense hasn't been doing much of anything. I think the Rabbits will have to play way up just to avoid getting blown out of the water this week. Gilmer by 3 TDs seems like a good place to start on a Monday.

lostaussie
10-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Atlanta defense is pretty good. They offense is inept.......... saying that, we have been known to make some pretty inept offenses look spectacular on a given night:D

d0tc0m
10-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Atlanta defense is pretty good. They offense is inept.......... saying that, we have been known to make some pretty inept offenses look spectacular on a given night:D

I've been surprised this year with Gilmer, honestly. I've expected them to go from being a really good team to being an elite team with a solid chance of beating WOS in the title game. But they don't seem to be making that week-to-week progress that you'd expect from a Gilmer team, at least, I haven't seen it yet. The offensive line is very suspect on anything but the quick-hit stuff/screens. I still haven't seen anything in the run game that would worry a defense like WOS, who actually has the athletes in the secondary to force the Buckeyes to find some yards on the ground. There are times when the offense seems literally unstoppable, and other times when they're so flat, you wonder if you're watching a Gilmer team. The defense flashes moments of being really good, and they're athletic enough to limit big plays for the most part, but a good offense will give them fits. There are still a lot of penalties, turnovers and just uncharacteristic things about this Buckeye team that just make it hard to get fully on board. The talent is there, and there's no questioning that. And honestly, that is probably enough to get you to Jerry's World. But this team doesn't seem to have that killer instinct that teams like 2014 and, honestly, even 2015 (mainly thanks to Boyd) seemed to possess.

That's just my opinion, obviously, and my opinion doesn't matter or have any effect on the team/coaches/games. I still expect this Gilmer team to make some adjustments, make some progressions and be a nightmare to deal with in Region II come playoff time. But from what I've seen so far, Gilmer is far from a team that I would look at, as an opponent, and say, 'Well, that's an automatic loss,' and that's the way they've been these past few years.

In saying all that, I think the Buckeyes do flash some of that improvement this week, blow the doors off Atlanta and get back to being a spook story other Region II teams tell each other at night to scare one another.

waterboy
10-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Still averaging 49.125 PPG through eight games. Not bad when you consider how many times they've turned the ball over. You're right, though, the Buckeyes haven't been able to shake that TO bug, not to mention the untimely penalties that keep them from being fluid on offense. They can look unstoppable for 5 to 7 series a game, but the rest of the time they find a way to stop themselves. More so than their opponent ever has. Our defense has improved quite a bit, though they still need work.

The Buckeyes will definitely have to put in a good week of practice. They will need to be focused, fired up, and ready this week because Atlanta is good enough to beat them if they don't. Atlanta has a very good defense, but their offense is just out of sync. They will be completely ready, and want nothing more than to beat the Buckeyes. We are everybody's super bowl around in these parts, so we will get their best shot for sure.

lostaussie
10-24-2016, 02:17 PM
Those wascally wabbits.......I remember way back in 2003, lawd we thought we were somebody. Rolled into regional final at 13-0 vs. 9-4 wabbits. Curtis Burns baby........that boy kicked our arses all night long!!!! Went home and aired up some basketballs:D Atlanta went on to win state. We went on to win 21 or so in a row starting the next year. Wabbits never beat us since........they done growed up nearly a generation that has never beaten the Buckeyes. They want it bad!!!!

d0tc0m
10-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Those wascally wabbits.......I remember way back in 2003, lawd we thought we were somebody. Rolled into regional final at 13-0 vs. 9-4 wabbits. Curtis Burns baby........that boy kicked our arses all night long!!!! Went home and aired up some basketballs:D Atlanta went on to win state. We went on to win 21 or so in a row starting the next year. Wabbits never beat us since........they done growed up nearly a generation that has never beaten the Buckeyes. They want it bad!!!!

And that 2003 Gilmer team was no joke. They worked us over pretty well the week before, I believe (that was my junior year). One of Celina's passing game coordinators (Nick York) was on that 2003 Gilmer team, too. He's been an incredible addition to the Celina staff.

If my memory serves correct, I believe that '03 Atlanta team started the season 0-4, before rattling off 12 straight to win the title. They blew the doors off just about everybody in the playoff, including Marlin in the title game.

lostaussie
10-24-2016, 02:47 PM
And that 2003 Gilmer team was no joke. They worked us over pretty well the week before, I believe (that was my junior year). One of Celina's passing game coordinators (Nick York) was on that 2003 Gilmer team, too. He's been an incredible addition to the Celina staff.

If my memory serves correct, I believe that '03 Atlanta team started the season 0-4, before rattling off 12 straight to win the title. They blew the doors off just about everybody in the playoff, including Marlin in the title game.

Yea. Our heads swelled when we beat Celina. Thought we were invincible. Lesson learned the next week. Atlanta took us to the woodshed!!

waterboy
10-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Yea. Our heads swelled when we beat Celina. Thought we were invincible. Lesson learned the next week. Atlanta took us to the woodshed!!

That Atlanta team had some serious speed. I do think the Buckeyes had the big head, and didn't take them seriously enough. I don't think it would've made a huge difference, though. Atlanta was just the better team that year. My B-I-L was a coach at Mt. Pleasant that year, and he told me early in the year after they played them (the 5th game, I believe) to look out for Atlanta if they ever got it together. He was right. I believe Atlanta did win their opener that season, then lost 4 straight to 4A (5A now) teams before district started. After they beat Daingerfield 7-3 in their second district game, they got on a serious roll.

They haven't beaten us since, and the closest game was the 24-15 game last season in the quarters. They would love nothing more than to beat us. That I can guarantee you. I also think they are confident that they can beat us. We are their super bowl this season, because they have to give it everything they got to win. If they don't win, they are likely out of the playoffs altogether. The Buckeyes have to treat this game as a playoff game, because in reality it is for Atlanta. An undefeated district championship is also on the line for us.

GUNHO
10-24-2016, 04:23 PM
I've been surprised this year with Gilmer, honestly. I've expected them to go from being a really good team to being an elite team with a solid chance of beating WOS in the title game. But they don't seem to be making that week-to-week progress that you'd expect from a Gilmer team, at least, I haven't seen it yet. The offensive line is very suspect on anything but the quick-hit stuff/screens. I still haven't seen anything in the run game that would worry a defense like WOS, who actually has the athletes in the secondary to force the Buckeyes to find some yards on the ground. There are times when the offense seems literally unstoppable, and other times when they're so flat, you wonder if you're watching a Gilmer team. The defense flashes moments of being really good, and they're athletic enough to limit big plays for the most part, but a good offense will give them fits. There are still a lot of penalties, turnovers and just uncharacteristic things about this Buckeye team that just make it hard to get fully on board. The talent is there, and there's no questioning that. And honestly, that is probably enough to get you to Jerry's World. But this team doesn't seem to have that killer instinct that teams like 2014 and, honestly, even 2015 (mainly thanks to Boyd) seemed to possess.

That's just my opinion, obviously, and my opinion doesn't matter or have any effect on the team/coaches/games. I still expect this Gilmer team to make some adjustments, make some progressions and be a nightmare to deal with in Region II come playoff time. But from what I've seen so far, Gilmer is far from a team that I would look at, as an opponent, and say, 'Well, that's an automatic loss,' and that's the way they've been these past few years.

In saying all that, I think the Buckeyes do flash some of that improvement this week, blow the doors off Atlanta and get back to being a spook story other Region II teams tell each other at night to scare one another.

When we played yall in 2014 I stepped outside for a smoke and a Gilmer fan was passing by and I overheard her say " It ain't over yet ".That kind of team you talking about Doc.

Aesculus gilmus
10-24-2016, 06:14 PM
It was two weeks after the Celina game in the Area round that we played the quarterfinal game against Atlanta in 2003. In between, the Buckeyes beat Stephen Hodge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hodge_(American_football) and his Tatum Eagles in Tyler, but not by much. It was 35-27.

I agree with the sentiment that this Buckeye team does not look destined to win state. However, if they make it to that game and WOS somehow doesn't come to play, it could still happen.

I understand the Krum Bobcats think they can easily take Gilmer anyway, so this is all just idle speculation about a rematch with WOS.

d0tc0m
10-25-2016, 07:43 AM
When we played yall in 2014 I stepped outside for a smoke and a Gilmer fan was passing by and I overheard her say " It ain't over yet ".That kind of team you talking about Doc.

Yes, although, to clarify, I'm not part of that 'ya'll' haha. I'm from Celina, far from a Buckeye fan. But I enjoy good football programs, and have the utmost respect for the Gilmer program.

But, you're right, that 2014 team smelled blood in the water all the time ... even when they were losing.

d0tc0m
10-25-2016, 07:44 AM
I understand the Krum Bobcats think they can easily take Gilmer anyway, so this is all just idle speculation about a rematch with WOS.

LoL.

lostaussie
10-25-2016, 08:59 AM
LoL.

They are putting up some big numbers........but they giving up some big numbers too. What do you know about them?

d0tc0m
10-25-2016, 09:21 AM
They are putting up some big numbers........but they giving up some big numbers too. What do you know about them?

They are a program on the rise, I'd say. They gave Sanger a really good game, and Sanger gave Argyle all they could handle. Their offense is good. Good quarterback, good offensive line and pretty good athletes in the skill positions. They can move the ball in a lot of different ways. And the defense actually isn't as porous as the numbers show, although, they have had some bad games.

I expect them to win Region I, unless they just lay an egg against Sweetwater or in a rematch with Graham. But do I think they can beat whoever comes out of Region II? No. Not yet. Give them another 3-5 years, and that storyline may change. But for 2016, Krum is just not at that level yet.

bobcat1
10-25-2016, 12:19 PM

I know they wear blue and white.:wave:

44INAROW
10-25-2016, 02:28 PM
I think the game is close until the 4th quarter and Buckeyes wear the Rabbits down.... 42-23

lostaussie
10-25-2016, 03:37 PM
I think the game is close until the 4th quarter and Buckeyes wear the Rabbits down.... 42-23

I like the way you think

waterboy
10-27-2016, 04:36 PM
I like the way you think

:1popcorn:

So........, you're picking Atlanta? After seeing what Pitt did to them, I have a hard time thinking they will be able to stop our offense consistently. I know they know they absolutely HAVE to win, but I'm kinda thinking the Buckeyes will be too much. If they have trouble on offense like they've been having, Atlanta will get beat by 3 or more TDs, in my opinion. I think Atlanta will have to score at least 5 TDs to have a chance.

lostaussie
10-27-2016, 04:57 PM
:1popcorn:

So........, you're picking Atlanta? After seeing what Pitt did to them, I have a hard time thinking they will be able to stop our offense consistently. I know they know they absolutely HAVE to win, but I'm kinda thinking the Buckeyes will be too much. If they have trouble on offense like they've been having, Atlanta will get beat by 3 or more TDs, in my opinion. I think Atlanta will have to score at least 5 TDs to have a chance.

I didn't pick Atlanta to win........I took the rabs and the 16. I got some catching up to do. Lol

regaleagle
10-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Gilmer gets on track this week and scores a bunch. Atlanta may score some too, but not ever a doubt in this one. I'd say Gilmer wins by at least 3 TD's. It's that time of the season for the Buckeyes.......time to ramp up and get everybody on board.

buckeyebob
10-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Thursday Night @ Jeff Traylor Stadium

Freshmen 20-12 Bux (1 loss for season to 5A Marshall)

Junior Varsity 57-6 Bux (0 loss for season)

No word on 7th & 8th

lostaussie
10-28-2016, 08:07 AM
I think the freshmen got beat by Gladewater but once again I could be wrong. Got some good kids coming up though!!!

waterboy
10-28-2016, 08:59 AM
I think that was the 8th grade that lost to Gladewater..., their only loss. That Bear 8th is good, undefeated also.

waterboy
10-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Sorry, that was the 7th grade team that lost to Gladewater. It's the GW 7th grade team that is undefeated.

buckeyebob
10-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Now who is on first?