PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts - Columbia-Needville Game Story

Scoop27
10-22-2016, 10:00 AM
WEST COLUMBIA — Columbia’s playoff destiny is in the hands of other people now as the Roughnecks lost to Needville 17-14 in a District 12-4A Division I game Friday night.

The Roughnecks (0-4, 3-5) will need to win their final two games and then hope for the right things to fall into place.

“We’re going to have to depend on the points situation and depend on other people to make the playoffs,” Columbia coach Brent Mascheck said. “You don’t ever want to be put in that situation and now we are. That’s the position we put ourselves into. We still have life and that’s most important thing.”

Columbia will have to beat Brazosport and Sealy to close to season to even have a chance at the postseason.

“We just have to start playing better,” Mascheck said. “And I’ve got to do a better job of coaching the guys. I am disappointed in the loss. I am disappointed for the kids. I proud of their effort, but very disappointed for the kids.”

Needville (1-4, 5-4) picked up its first district win of the season. The Blue Jays rode a first-half offensive surge to victory after getting shut out in the second half.

“The first half they kind of controlled the game offensively,” Mascheck said. “We just gave up too many plays to keep drives going.”

Columbia turned the tables on the Blue Jays in the second half as they controlled the ball and the clock. The Roughnecks limited Needville to 60 yards of offense in the second half after the Jays had 199 total yards in the first two quarters.

The Roughnecks controlled the clock also. They consumed 8 minutes and 30 seconds of the third quarter on their touchdown drive to cut Needville’s lead to 17-14. They also had other chances to take the lead but a sack on their second drive of the second half ultimately undid that opportunity in Needville territory and a penalty on their third drive of second half stifled that chance.

“We are just making so many little mistakes that are costing us on drives,” Mascheck said. “We cannot seem to catch a break. We got to start creating some breaks too.”

It looked like the Roughnecks were going to rally after being down 17-7 at the half. Columbia started the half with a 52-yard touchdown drive. The Roughnecks converted twice on fourth down on the drive, which was finished off by a three-yard touchdown run by Saylaion Dunlap with 3:30 left in the period.

Columbia still had an opportunity to tie the game and send it into overtime in the final seconds. Karch Kaspar tried a 53-yard field goal with 3 seconds remaining that came up short.

In the first half, Needville took a 3-0 lead on a 29-yard field goal off the toe of Jamie Flores with 6:28 left in the first quarter.

Cameron Davey recovered a Columbia fumble on the ensuing kickoff at the Roughneck 36 to give Needville an opportunity to extend its lead.

Columbia’s defense stiffened and held on a fourth-and-one play to take the ball over on down at their own 27.

The Roughnecks drove 73-yards to take the lead with quarterback Josh Jimenez sneaking into the end zone from a yard out with 37 seconds left in the first quarter to finish it off.

Needville got the lead back with a 73-yard touchdown drive of its own with Daniel Herrera capping the drive with a 29-yard touchdown run with 9:01 left in the second quarter.

With 21 seconds remaining in the first half, Needville’s Dylan Bercher caught a 24-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Logan Archer to extend the Jays’ lead to 17-7 at the half.

The 53-yard drive came after a 12-yard Columbia punt.