PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts - Wharton-Sweeny Game Story

Scoop27
10-22-2016, 09:58 AM
SWEENY — The Wharton Tigers threatened to score twice in the latter part of the fourth quarter, but both times they were turned away by the Sweeny Bulldog defense.

Down by a touchdown with under a minute to play, Wharton quarterback Trey Woods attempted a pass to the left side of the field near the end zone only to be picked off by Bulldog defensive back Everett Alford, who secured a 28-21 District 15-4A Division II win Friday night for Sweeny at Bulldog Stadium.

“Coach put us in a good position to go and win the game,” Alford said. “Wharton ran that corner all night and I had a feeling that’s the route they were going to, and I just went up and I caught it. Afterwards was the greatest feeling on Earth.”

It was the second Wharton (2-1, 5-3) interception in Bulldog territory in the quarter. The other was by Bryshaunt Williams, which set up a nine-play, 52-yard drive capped off by an Evan Green 3-yard run for the winning score.

The Bulldog (2-1, 5-3) offense scored three times in the second half, complementing their defense, which held the Tigers to seven second-half points.

“It was a great overall effort,” Sweeny head coach Randy Lynch said. “We had some adversity, but the kids overcame a lot. We had chances to score early in the game, but we couldn’t put it in, but our kids kept fighting and that’s what we preach. It was just a great overall effort by our kids on all sides of the ball.”

The Bulldogs opened the game taking the ball down the field 69 yards in five plays, capped off by a Green 22-yard touchdown run, and followed by their defense forcing a Tiger three-and-out on the next possession.

Sweeny knocked on the door on the ensuing possession, moving the ball 68 yards in 12 plays, but a Donovan Banks fumble halted the momentum for the drive and the rest of the half.

Wharton finally broke through the Sweeny defense and tied the game at 7-7 on a 22-yard run from running back Benjamin Baylor with 5:47 to play in the first half.

Sweeny looked primed to answer on the ensuing possession as running back Donovan Banks broke off what looked like 64-yard touchdown run, but officials spotted the ball on the Wharton 1-yard line.

The drive ended after a false-start penalty, and Banks’ second fumble of the half, which came on fourth-and-goal on the Tiger 1-yard line.

Wharton pulled ahead just before the half on a 50-yard catch and run from quarterback Trey Woods to Baylor, sending Sweeny into the break trailing 14-7.

The Bulldogs bounced back in the second half.

On their first possession, a 42-yard run from Banks set up Green’s second touchdown of the game, a 1-yard quarterback sneak to knot the game at 14.

Green also found a wide open Ashton Callahan for a 56-yard touchdown, to put Sweeny ahead 21-14 with 10.5 seconds to play in the third. Green had a big night as he finished rushing for 77 yards and three scores — including the game winner — and passed for another 107 yards and a touchdown.

“Our kids have played with great effort for the last six ball games and we just executed,” Lynch said. “Our kids just stepped it up and I’m really proud. I’m happy for them and our school because this was big. Hopefully we’ll keep the momentum going.”

Sweeny hosts Sinton next week.