PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer (2-0) Travels to Spring Hill (0-2)

buckeyebob
10-18-2016, 07:52 AM
The Buckeyes are very familiar with the Panthers...they always play the Bux hard.

SH has a revamped stadium with ne HOME SIDE remodel & located with their back to the sun. With a 3-4 overall record, this should be a great game.

Best of luck Panthers

d0tc0m
10-18-2016, 08:07 AM
The Buckeyes are very familiar with the Panthers...they always play the Bux hard.

SH has a revamped stadium with ne HOME SIDE remodel & located with their back to the sun. With a 3-4 overall record, this should be a great game.

Best of luck Panthers

This one will be ugly, ugly, ugly.

On a side note, though, buckeyebob, what did you think of Gladewater? I watched the film from that game and wasn't overly impressed with the offense, other than the QB being greased lightning. But I figured the film was maybe just a bit deceptive. Wanted the perspective of someone who was there and saw the game.

lostaussie
10-18-2016, 08:12 AM
If they could throw at all.........they would be dangerous. Against us 8 yards and a cloud of dust turned into 4 yards which ultimately turned into not enough yards.

d0tc0m
10-18-2016, 08:16 AM
If they could throw at all.........they would be dangerous. Against us 8 yards and a cloud of dust turned into 4 yards which ultimately turned into not enough yards.

Yeah that's a tough game to play against Gilmer. Against some other teams with not-so-explosive offenses, that's not the worst strategy.

Like I said, other than that QB being an absolute burner, nothing stood out to me about the Bears. The offensive line had ankle-to-ankle splits, and did an average job against the Buckeyes, I would say. A lot of that is credit to the Gilmer d-line, which furthers my point ... if the Bears can't throw, and if you've got a defensive line that can penetrate, keep that o-line off your linebackers, you're going to make it tough sledding for Gladewater.

Their defense was fairly impressive, other than giving up a few big plays to Morton. You can't let guys like him get behind you. Also, Buckeye fans, where is Lawhorn? Isn't he the fastest guy on your team? Just wondering if he was hurt or what was going on.

lostaussie
10-18-2016, 08:37 AM
He's been hurt but he was back on Friday against Gladewater. We just use him when we REALLY need a touchdown:D

waterboy
10-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Spring Hill 73

Gilmer 13

Oops! Flip those scores...

waterboy
10-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Gladewater is a very good team. If you play them, you will most certainly be sore the next day. They are bruisers. Their platoon of RBs all have about 4.6 speed, and weight in excess of 220 lbs., and their QB can absolutely fly. Now..., if they had a more effective play action passing game, they would be similar to the 2013 Kilgore team which went to the state championship game. That Kilgore team also had a better secondary, and a very good kicking game. That's the difference.

The Spring Hill game this week should be essentially over by midway through the 2nd quarter, but it is Yamboree week, and I have seen us come out flat in those games we are supposed to win by a large margin. I don't "think" that will happen, but you never know. There's still a lot of improvements that the Buckeyes need to make. Turnovers and untimely penalties have stopped our offense many more times this season than our opponents. We are improving defensively, but there's still lots of room there, too.

d0tc0m
10-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Turnovers and untimely penalties have stopped our offense many more times this season than our opponents.

That'll hold especially true this week. Spring Hill's defense likely won't stop the Buckeyes on any series. The Buckeyes may stop themselves, but that'll be the only way the Panthers keep Gilmer out of the end zone.

waterboy
10-18-2016, 12:29 PM
That'll hold especially true this week. Spring Hill's defense likely won't stop the Buckeyes on any series. The Buckeyes may stop themselves, but that'll be the only way the Panthers keep Gilmer out of the end zone.

Turnovers have absolutely killed us this season. We have to get that fixed for sure. I would be elated just to see us go one game without a turnover. It hasn't happened in any game this year as of yet. I don't have a log of our stats, but I'm pretty sure we've had more turnovers than punts this season. On the majority of those drives that ended with us punting we had penalties that put us well behind the sticks. To get to the next level we have to eliminate, or at least improve dramatically in those areas.

d0tc0m
10-18-2016, 12:53 PM
The other thing I've noticed about the Buckeyes - and maybe I'm just reading numbers wrong - but it appears you guys have a lot of guys going both ways, especially in the skill positions. Is that correct, or am I just picking up on it a handful of times?

Rabid Cougar
10-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Per UIL - Six man mercy rule will be in effect for this game. Band won't even need to go.

waterboy
10-18-2016, 01:40 PM
The other thing I've noticed about the Buckeyes - and maybe I'm just reading numbers wrong - but it appears you guys have a lot of guys going both ways, especially in the skill positions. Is that correct, or am I just picking up on it a handful of times?

We do have a few players that go both ways, but they do get plays off when they need it. That's pretty much something we've always done. There's definitely nothing unusual about that for us.

waterboy
10-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Per UIL - Six man mercy rule will be in effect for this game. Band won't even need to go.

I've seen many games over the years where there probably "should" have been a mercy rule. I think there's been a few times where a few band members, and a couple of cheerleaders got to play... :D

lostaussie
10-18-2016, 03:25 PM
So let me get this straight. Last week, game of the week, in one of the toughest 4a D2 districts in the state, we don't have a game thread. But this week.........we play the eventual last place team in district........and have a conversation about it?? :doh: :D

waterboy
10-18-2016, 03:45 PM
It's all Bob's fault! :D

Aesculus gilmus
10-18-2016, 07:45 PM
Gilmer players appear to go both ways because a lot of the best skill players play about 15-20 snaps on offense and then turn around and play 15-20 snaps on defense during any particular game.

Turner is continuing to do what Traylor always did, which was try to develop as many players as possible by getting as many players significant playing time as possible. Of course, this is easier to do in the year when we are just blowing follks out as in 2014.

My favorite the other night was Bam Bam Stone, who played more than usual probably because of some injuries. He must weigh, at most, 140 pounds, but he can flat out hit you. He is a holy terror on special teams.

Speaking of skill guys who can make plays on both sides of the ball, there's one of them who is being shorted playing time right now and his name is Rashaad Ward. If he could ever get out of the coaches' doghouse for whatever it is he has done or not done, he'd have 1,000 yards on the ground in no time at all.

Aggie98
10-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Gladewater is a very good team. If you play them, you will most certainly be sore the next day. They are bruisers. Their platoon of RBs all have about 4.6 speed, and weight in excess of 220 lbs., and their QB can absolutely fly. Now..., if they had a more effective play action passing game, they would be similar to the 2013 Kilgore team which went to the state championship game. That Kilgore team also had a better secondary, and a very good kicking game. That's the difference.

So.... if they had a better offense, defense, and special teams they'd be "similar" to '13 Kilgore?

I kid, I kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d0tc0m
10-19-2016, 07:48 AM
Gilmer players appear to go both ways because a lot of the best skill players play about 15-20 snaps on offense and then turn around and play 15-20 snaps on defense during any particular game.

Turner is continuing to do what Traylor always did, which was try to develop as many players as possible by getting as many players significant playing time as possible. Of course, this is easier to do in the year when we are just blowing follks out as in 2014.

My favorite the other night was Bam Bam Stone, who played more than usual probably because of some injuries. He must weigh, at most, 140 pounds, but he can flat out hit you. He is a holy terror on special teams.

Speaking of skill guys who can make plays on both sides of the ball, there's one of them who is being shorted playing time right now and his name is Rashaad Ward. If he could ever get out of the coaches' doghouse for whatever it is he has done or not done, he'd have 1,000 yards on the ground in no time at all.

He must be a hell of a player, and he must have a hell of a lot of grievances if he's that good and not playing. But, I'd have to see a much better Gilmer offensive line to buy into a 1,000-yard rusher. The Buckeyes' o-line is good in pass protection and in those little jailbreak and slip screens ... haven't seen much from them in the ground game, though.

waterboy
10-19-2016, 09:59 AM
So.... if they had a better offense, defense, and special teams they'd be "similar" to '13 Kilgore?

I kid, I kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That about sums it up! :D

They do sort of remind of that team, though.

Aesculus gilmus
10-21-2016, 10:00 AM
He must be a hell of a player, and he must have a hell of a lot of grievances if he's that good and not playing. But, I'd have to see a much better Gilmer offensive line to buy into a 1,000-yard rusher. The Buckeyes' o-line is good in pass protection and in those little jailbreak and slip screens ... haven't seen much from them in the ground game, though.

https://youtu.be/PC67DsgoHt0

He doesn't even need blockers all that much. He's a power runner. I should have prefaced that by saying he needs at least 20 carries a game. THEN he'd be at 1,000 yards five games from now.

Traylor liked to run the ball just to prove we could, I think. Turner, it seems to me, is okay with the passing game and the plays you cited. He only turns (pardon the pun) to the run when he has to. But he's quick to abandon the passing game if the other team is playing back.

d0tc0m
10-21-2016, 10:20 AM
https://youtu.be/PC67DsgoHt0

He doesn't even need blockers all that much. He's a power runner. I should have prefaced that by saying he needs at least 20 carries a game. THEN he'd be at 1,000 yards five games from now.

Traylor liked to run the ball just to prove we could, I think. Turner, it seems to me, is okay with the passing game and the plays you cited. He only turns (pardon the pun) to the run when he has to. But he's quick to abandon the passing game if the other team is playing back.

Everything you just described is exactly why Gilmer is a nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators. It's just so dang hard to shut down even one aspect of the Buckeyes' game plan. It can be done, but it's difficult, and it takes a good defense. If you're going to try to force Gilmer's hand, I'd definitely try to make them beat me on the ground. Even doing that is in and of itself difficult, though.

Aesculus gilmus
10-22-2016, 12:27 AM
Everything you just described is exactly why Gilmer is a nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators. It's just so dang hard to shut down even one aspect of the Buckeyes' game plan. It can be done, but it's difficult, and it takes a good defense. If you're going to try to force Gilmer's hand, I'd definitely try to make them beat me on the ground. Even doing that is in and of itself difficult, though.

Rashaad did get more carries tonight and actually was the starter. However, our line did not block well at all. This was about his only good run, but it was REAL good.

https://youtu.be/sTbyzSwLUuQ