PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts - Brazosport-Stafford Preview Game Story

Scoop27
10-14-2016, 11:32 AM
FREEPORT — The Brazosport Exporters have been the underdog in nearly every game this season, especially in their last two contests against Sealy and El Campo.

Despite a six-game skid, head coach Ben Rudolph believes his team is better than a 1-5 overall record, citing the second-half effort in last week’s loss to El Campo as an example of the team’s attitude.

“I couldn’t ask for a better effort in that third quarter against El Campo,” Rudolph said. “It’s very encouraging and that’s a good sign that we as a team are all on the same page and going in the same direction — we’re a pretty good football team.”

Brazosport (0-2) need to be that and more as they continue District 12-4A Division I play by hosting the Stafford Spartans at 7: 30 p.m. tonight at Hopper Field.

The Spartans (3-0, 4-3) three losses were by way of forfeit at self-reporting themselves to the University Interscholastic League that an unnamed player did not meet the attendance threshold.

Stafford is one of three teams without a district loss so far, joining El Campo (3-0) and Sealy (2-0), but Rudolph believes they are the class of the district.

“I would say they are the top team in the district watching them on film,” Rudolph said. “I know they have three losses, but they’re all by forfeit. In hindsight, they are undefeated. They’re brilliantly fast, they have good size and have a very good makeup of a high school football team.”

In addition to being a top player in the district, the Spartans are ranked No. 5 in this week’s Harris Ratings in Class 4A Division I and their weekly numbers show why.

They average 374 yards per game on offense. Running back James Brown is third in the district with 656 yards rushing and four touchdowns, but their real weapon is at quarterback.

Junior quarterback Walter White has been cooking up the district’s best numbers through the air, throwing for 1,079 yards and 20 touchdowns, completing 62 percent of his passes.

Complementing the Spartan offensive attack is a stingy defense, giving up just 228 yards per game to opponents.

“With all that in mind the focus hasn’t been on Stafford as much as it is us,” Rudolph said. “We have been cleaning up on offense defense and special teams. We really want to draw the focus on what we can control, not what they control. We’re 45-point underdogs, but we’re not focused on what Stafford does, just on what we do.

“There are four games left in district and we still have an opportunity to get better at the things we do and that’s our focus.”

The Ships come in averaging a district-worst 268 yards per game on offense and are giving up 340 yards per game on defense.

One thing Brazosport has going for them in addition to the district’s leading rusher Ameer King — who has rushed for 808 yards and 10 touchdowns — is implementing sophomore quarterback Jarvis Davis back into the offense.

Davis returned in last week’s lost to El Campo after sitting out the first five games after suffering a shoulder injury during scrimmage play.

He threw for 160 yards, a touchdown and an interception on 15 of 30 passing in his return.

Rudolph began the season with high expectations for Davis prior to the injury, but believes his return, as well as the development of backup Jermaine Ellis will benefit the team going forward.

“It was good to see (Davis) respond well,” Rudolph said. “The good thing about it is that we were able to develop a younger quarterback along the way. Jermaine Ellis got to grow as a quarterback and now we can use him at other positions as well.

“The kids are excited about the possibilities and we’re ready to play.”

The game will be broadcast on www.brazosportisd.net.