PDA

View Full Version : Sumlin vs Charlie

Saggy Aggie
10-10-2016, 09:48 AM
42-16
13-17

Has strong had enough time to get 'his guys' yet?

Hmmmm

Macarthur
10-10-2016, 10:38 AM
I think Strong is a very interesting study.

I think he's a good coach, but not great. If you go back to his hire, UT swung and missed on several candidates so I think Strong was probaby the best hire they could have made. I think we discussed this each season: where does he rank in Big 12 coaches? There are the guys I think are clearly better than Strong:
Stoops
Patterson
Snyder
Gundy

So he's probably 4, at best, and until Briles got run off, he was prob 5, at best.

I think the biggest factor in Charlie's record is that he had nothing at QB the first two years. His defense was good enough to win 7 or 9 games those first two years if he had decenet QB play.

I think the biggest issue he has is out of his control. As Herbstreit mentioned this weekend, it's a pretty toxic environment there in Austin. The boosters are a bunch of rich children. The expectations are insane and there is still an air of arrogance that runs through the fabric that is going to be hard to get rid of.

1st and goal
10-10-2016, 01:22 PM
There's toxic air alright, and it smells like Luling...

regaleagle
10-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Basically.....the Longhorns D sucks this year. They can't stop anybody and the offense is forced to play a perfect game to win. It just ain't gonna happen. Charlie is responsible as the head coach of one of the largest major college football teams with one of the largest budgets and largest fan bases in the nation. The defense is so shabby that there really is no excuse.......they should have been able to put together a better D than they have with the resources available to them......end of story and argument.

Saggy Aggie
10-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Saw someone congratulate both sumlin and Charlie for their best ever starts at each school:

Sumlin (6-0) and Charlie (3-3).... :spitlol:

Saggy Aggie
10-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Charlie's 3 wins are over opponents with a combined 4-16 record. Those 4 wins are San Jose st, Syracuse, Nevada and New Mexico st...