PDA

View Full Version : Region I Scattershooting

vet93
09-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Pampa and Borger ought to give us an idea if Borger is for real this year...if Borger can hang tough then they may end up representing the western part of the region against Everman in the playoffs.

We will see how much Pecos has progressed so far with their game against Brownfield. Kermit was impressive last week and Ft. Stockton won. If these teams continue to improve then it will make the race for 2nd and 3rd in that district very interesting.

Seminole/Crane is an interesting matchup...I still don't have a handle on this team...however, if Seminole can pull out a victory, then it will solidify their place as a playoff contender. Along these lines...if Merkel and Seminole continue to surge and Snyder continues to sag...we could see Sweetwater in Division I. Sweetwater could potentially be a worthy opponent for Everman from West Texas.

Sweetwater/Andrews is an interesting matchup...Sweetater took this game last year and returns a strong team...Andrews has moved a kid from fullback to quarterback (Matt Gardner) and he has been hard to stop. He is a tremendous athlete. If Andrews doesn't take this game seriously, Sweetwater will beat them. However, Andrews has to be considered the favorite.

Now would be a good time for Snyder to assert themselves against a very good Greenwood team. If the Tigers come out flat Greenwood will eat them alive. Greenwood has to guard against a letdown as well after a hard fought and emotional win against Sweetwater. I look for the Rangers to roll (but must watch the turnovers).

Look for Merkel to roll against Post.

Ballinger/Breckenridge is an interesting matchup because it is a bridge game to allow comparison against teams from the east and west. Decatur dismantled Breck last week...How will Ballinger handle the Buckaroos? Ballinger will be hard pressed to look better against Breck than the Eagles of Decatur. Remember...Breck won this game last year at Ballinger's homecoming.

The annual Bidistict preview of Wylie and Graham is this week. Once again...Graham should have all of the incentive to beat Wylie. However...Graham had better be careful...Wylie is playing some good ball and appear to be ahead of last year in a lot of respects. I give the nod to the Bulldogs in a close game.

Clyde and Brady both take on quality 2A opponents this week (Jim Ned and Comfort respectively). Both of these teams need to have good performances this week in preparation for district. I think that Clyde has the best chance for an upset.

Vernon plays WF Hirschi this week and should be a good game...I look for the Lions to get back on track.

Springtown is 39 point favorites against Lake Worth this year...Lake Worth seems to be a little better this year. I don't think that Springtown will cover the spread.

For those who might be reading too much into Everman losing to Lawton Ike...be careful...They (Ike) were a very athletic team and for this years Everman team a loss may be just what the doctor ordered. Sometimes when you have been very successful it is hard to remain intense. Games like last week are a good reminder to work harder and to cut down on mistakes. Remember when Everman lost to Kennedale last year...what happened after?!!

Kennedale can put up the point no doubt...they shouldn't be challenged until Everman plays them. Dallas Smith will see Kennedale score early and often.

Wtx_coach
09-17-2003, 10:15 AM
I thing Borger is a decent team, but the winner of the BIG school 4-3A and 3-3A will have a easy time with Borger once again just like Monahans did last year

District 4-3A is rolling right now and heating up, Pecos shoould beat Brownfield easily but then the test will be next week when they face CRANE, Kermit will be 4-1 going into district so they will be on a roll, and Ft.Stockton is starting to open up some eyes around this district

Ballinger vs. Breckenridge- I will take the CATS on this one easily, they are going to get reevenge from last years loss to breckenridge

Greenwood at Snyder, greenwood should roll over them, but dont count out Snyder for district, that tuff pre season schedule will have them ready for district and the playoffs!

heck
09-17-2003, 11:22 AM
I like scattershooting with Vet.

First off Pampa should roll over Borger but that won't mean much as Borger takes this district with ease. Canyon is off until their QB's heal up...Perryton is down this year and will have a tough game against Canadian a tough 2A team.

Littlefield is the class here with an overall weak district but will have to play real well to beat Shallowater. I look for Shally to win this one.

Swater will have to get back on track after a tough game with Greenwood and Andrews isn't the team you really want to play after a tough loss. I look for Merkel to be the second place team if they can stay healthy. They also have an issue regarding player eligibility I hear. But Merkel won't have any problems with Post (2A).

Greenwood won't have any trouble with Snyder.

Wylie Graham will be fun. I am not sure what to think here. Graham is good but not "hitting on all 8" and a friend from Wylie tells me that Wylie's young QB is playing like a young QB. Also Wylie is a little banged up. But I am going with Wylie as the voodoo continues. Ballinger will walk over Breck while they recall last years loss. The rest of that district will have tough games against tough 2A teams and I don't look for Clyde or Brady to come out on top.

<small>[ September 17, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Matthew328
09-17-2003, 01:47 PM
I think Borger can do some damage come playoff time..I dunno what it is about em but I think they are a team to watch...

Pecos and Kermit are gonna fight it out for 2nd in 4-3A...Kermit seems to be getting better every week...very impressive win for those guys last week..

3-3A Snyder had better step it up or they could easily finish 4th..man it would be interesting if Sweetwater went D-1...I know this is loojking WAY ahead..but if Sweetwater and Everman met in the playoffs I think Sweetwater would have to come to Ft Worth, but I'm not totally sure on that one..someone help me out there..LOL

Ballinger shouldn't have much trouble with Breck..

I think Springtown covers against Lake Worth..the Bullfrogs missed their best shot at a win in Week 1..how about Little Elm? Good chance for those guys to start 4-0...7-3A looks to be pretty deep this year..

Look for Everman and Kennedale to both roll as they have relatively easy tune-ups before next week's big game in Everman..however don't be shocked if Crowley keeps it close with Everman for a half, it's a rivalry game and sometimes you never know how they can turn out...

mustang04
09-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Mathew, just a small question, what would u think would happen IF we did go D1 and played Everman, i would love that, i wanna play some of the D1 teams, but what would u think would happen if we played them??

Matthew328
09-17-2003, 02:30 PM
I really don't know what would happen if Sweetwater and Everman met up..it would be fun..I ask about Sweetwater having to come to Ft Worth, becuase in 1992 when Sweetwater and Everman played in the 4A Regional Semi-Finals Everman lost the flip and had to play the Mustangs in the Mustang Bowl...I know the UIL has a rule where if you flip home and home and the 2 teams meet again they play at the other teams home field of choice..but is that rule good for only 2 years????

Ranger Mom
09-17-2003, 02:32 PM
I am curious to know if it would even matter, since neither team is 4-A anymore.

vet93
09-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Matt...I am pretty sure that the rule only applies when the two teams meet in the playoffs in consecutive years. I think that a logical place for the teams to meet would be at Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood. They have the field turf their now and the facilities are top notch. I think that it would be a good match up. Sweetwater has some team speed and they play great defense. They have also played a very tough schedule which would help them in playing a talented team like Everman.

Matthew328:
I really don't know what would happen if Sweetwater and Everman met up..it would be fun..I ask about Sweetwater having to come to Ft Worth, becuase in 1992 when Sweetwater and Everman played in the 4A Regional Semi-Finals Everman lost the flip and had to play the Mustangs in the Mustang Bowl...I know the UIL has a rule where if you flip home and home and the 2 teams meet again they play at the other teams home field of choice..but is that rule good for only 2 years????

Wtx_coach
09-17-2003, 04:57 PM
That would be a great matchup but Snyder will make the playoffs, I see them beating Lamesa Seminole and Merkel!

ClydeFan
09-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Good assessment, Vet. I look for Ballinger to take revenge in a big way for last year's homecoming spoiler.

The Sweetwater-Andrews matchup should be a good game, but I'd have to favor Andrews in that one.

I think Wylie will take Graham in a fairly close one.

Merkel shouldn't have a problem with Post.

The Clyde-Jim Ned game should be a good one. Jim Ned doesn't have a strong defense, but they can put the points up with their high-powered offense. I'm looking for a high scoring game, and I think Clyde has a good chance at the upset.

It looks like Brady will have their hands full with a very good Comfort team.

In other 6-3A action, Comanche plays 2A DeLeon and will likely score at will, and Early plays 2A Hamilton in what could be a close one.

Good luck to all of the area teams!

Matthew328
09-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Brownwood would be a logical place to play..maybe even Stephenville...when Everman-Snyder played in 1999 that is where they met...Abilene is a lil too close to Sweetwater and there isn't anything else between Abilene and Ft Worth...

wildstangs
09-17-2003, 10:15 PM
I am thinking Snyder is going to get in the playoffs. If Sweetwater and Everman were to meet up, I think they would play at Stephenville, or flip home and home with it being something like Shotwell for Sweetwater and somewhere in Ft. Worth for Everman. What was the score last time the two met up Matthew? wink

lobo12
09-17-2003, 10:45 PM
dont count out monahans

Matthew328
09-18-2003, 07:05 AM
We don't wanna bring up the score last time Sweetwater and Everman met....LOL you gotta admit wildstangs....having to play a regional semi-final at the Mustang Bowl against Sweetwater was a VERY tall task for anyone back in those days..man Sweetwater was STOUT..they had a kid named Carr who was a burner...those Sweetwater teams were fast! As far as Monhanas...I really have one word to describe them thus far....disappointing...

Knightmoon
09-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Let me start with the ones I feel strongly about--

Merkel easily wins over Post. Merkel's eligibility problem was solved early in the week. Lambert is back!! They did lose a quality player last week to injury, but Merkel's defense will hold strong.

Seminole/Crane will be interesting. I think Seminole is a better team, but Crane should be a good test. I am picking Seminole for a slight upset.

Sweetwater/Andrews. I have to go with Sweetwater. They are playing really tight football right now.

Wylie/Graham. This one is hard to pick, but Graham may have the advantage this year, because Wylie has an injury to a key player that will sit out this week.

Ballinger rolls over Breckenridge. Ballinger has got an incredible defense and they have a solid offense to go with it. It may be too early to tell, but I think Breckenridge might have shown their hand last week. Plus, I think Ballinger wants to set the record straight about last year.

Jim Ned over Clyde.Comfort over Brady. I would really like to see Clyde come out and play hard against a very good Jim Ned team.

I am still not sure about Snyder, but I don't think they can keep up with Greenwood.

Too bad they can't all win. Don't you just love a good High School Football game? Good Luck to all.
Some really good games again this week.

vet93
09-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Knightmoon...How is the Walla kid...he was a tough little player? Will he be out for long? Do they still think that it was a dislocated hip?

wildstangs
09-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Matthew328:
We don't wanna bring up the score last time Sweetwater and Everman met....LOL you gotta admit wildstangs....having to play a regional semi-final at the Mustang Bowl against Sweetwater was a VERY tall task for anyone back in those days..man Sweetwater was STOUT..they had a kid named Carr who was a burner...those Sweetwater teams were fast! As far as Monhanas...I really have one word to describe them thus far....disappointing...Shaun Carr was bad. I know I wouldnt want to be an opposing team playing at the Bowl.

what it do
09-18-2003, 11:59 PM
oh the days when sweetwater had shaun carr. what ever happened to him? i heard he went to tech? i guess he never saw too much field time

Knightmoon
09-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Hey Vet93, just heard today that Aaron Walla is ok. Nothing serious. I think he just has a bad bruise. I bet he will not play tonight, but I think he will be ready against Breckenridge. WOO HOO!!! Merkel just might be back at full strength again. I hope so anyway, they have a bunch of good kids, and would really like to see them break the playoff drought here in the big city.

Going to be some good games tonight. Good Luck to all. Be safe and have a blast.

vet93
09-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear the good news Knightmoon...good luck tonight against the antelopes!

horns630
09-19-2003, 07:16 PM
we play in 10 mins then after we win we play everman next week thas a good game wait and see our come out in see. In everman.