PDA

View Full Version : No one wants to play them.. Poor things

Rabid Cougar
10-07-2016, 11:11 AM
This is what all public schools should do when it comes to playing schools like IMG, Bishop Gorman and numerous other Private/Prep Schools across the country.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington-archbishop-murphy-high-school-football-team-nobody-wants-to-play/

Yoe_09
10-07-2016, 11:24 AM
I would not play any of them to begin with.

coach
10-07-2016, 11:26 AM
I don't like schools breaking their commitment to play them. If you signed up to play you better play them. What message are you sending your kids? If something is hard then you can quit? Now with that being said, I have no problem with you not scheduling them in the future. I would love for the entire state of Texas to say no to teams like that.

Yoe_09
10-07-2016, 11:27 AM
I don't like schools breaking their commitment to play them. If you signed up to play you better play them. What message are you sending your kids? If something is hard then you can quit? Now with that being said, I have no problem with you not scheduling them in the future. I would love for the entire state of Texas to say no to teams like that.

I do agree with that. If you have already scheduled someone, then you should follow through. I would just personally never schedule them in the first place. I believe Brock did this with Bridge City and pulled very late.

d0tc0m
10-07-2016, 11:30 AM

This. That's crap of the other schools to back out. Go take your beating, then go home and tell yourselves, 'Never again.'

91 lion
10-07-2016, 11:45 AM
I do agree with that. If you have already scheduled someone, then you should follow through. I would just personally never schedule them in the first place. I believe Brock did this with Bridge City and pulled very late.

In the mid 2000s I remember Euless Trinity had a 1st round playoff game versus an El Paso team that was literally 40lbs smaller at every position....what did the El Paso team do? They got on the busses and traveled all the way to Jerry World and played the game.

Now, it was a huge blowout and ET had backups in the game by the middle of the 2nd Quarter (backups that were still bigger and more skilled than the El Paso opponent), but they left with their heads high, knowing that they had just faced the State Champions and the best the state had to offer. They also left with a lot of respect. Coach Lineweaver of ET told me as much.

I know that this is a completely different situation, bc of regular season versus playoffs, but those kids wanted to play and see how they stacked up....eventhough the deck was stacked against them.

Maybe the protest is about how the private school coach is playing his players....if he is keeping in starters after the games are well in hand, and maybe that doesn't sit well with the other coaches. Either way, it doesn't send a positive message to the kids on the teams that are cancelling.

Gontex
10-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Competition is not fair when these private schools can recruit just like the colleges. They are not high school teams. They are more like select teams.

waterboy
10-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Competition is not fair when these private schools can recruit just like the colleges. They are not high school teams. They are more like select teams.

You are exactly right. I do agree, though, that if a team has already signed up to play them they should follow through. The thing is, I don't think any "normal" high school "should" sign up to play them in the first place. They are NOT playing by the same rules as public schools, and should not be considered in the same category. If high schools around the country would universally agree not to play these private recruiting schools, who would they play? Other private recruiting schools would be the only ones left to play.

PurplePop
10-07-2016, 12:25 PM
I guess they just have no common sense up in Ohio. The UIL has two private Catholic schools (that I know of) participating in UIL sports - Dallas Jesuit and Strake Jesuit in Houston (where I went). Both schools are all boys and have enrollments of 700 to 800. Double that to take no girls into account and you have a small to mid-size 5A enrollment. But the UIL rightfully has them in 6A because they can draw kids from anywhere in town. It seems to be working. Neither school dominates in sports. Although neither of them are a "football academy" like the school in the article. Because they are Jesuit schools, academics come first always.
As for the forfeiting BS, if you schedule 'em, you play 'em.

Rabid Cougar
10-07-2016, 01:04 PM
I thought Texas schools refuse to play IMG? Thought that was brought up in an earlier thread??

d0tc0m
10-07-2016, 01:06 PM
I thought Texas schools refuse to play IMG? Thought that was brought up in an earlier thread??

You are correct. Texas teams have said no to IMG. I believe Oklahoma is mulling the idea of doing the same, as well.