PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts - Sweeny Football Story

Scoop27
10-06-2016, 11:35 AM
SWEENY — The Sweeny Bulldogs rough 1-2 start to the 2016 season wasn't quite what they had in mind as sloppy play made the season outlook look dim.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and the Bulldogs find themselves with a 3-2 record and a two-game winning streak heading into District 15-4A Division II play.

A lot of their recent success stems from the senior trio of quarterback Evan Green, running back Donovan Banks and defensive lineman Elijah Smith.

All three were expected to have nice seasons, but are now trying to leave their marks as they help turn the team around and possibly a playoff spot.

"We have just kept faith and our team has been working harder," Green said. "Once you take one loss early in the season, it doesn't feel too good. We all made our fair share of mistakes, but we know we have to push forward.

"I knew big players had to make big plays and we have to come together," he continued.

Both Green and Banks did just that in a big 41-14 win against Brazosport, in what has been the Bulldog's best offensive night to date

Green passed for a touchdown and ran for two more and recorded 184 total yards, while Banks compiled 200 total yards.

The biggest surprise was Banks, who until that night was not the primary running back. Moved in that week to the backfield, Banks has flourished starting with his game against the Ships.

Now, he's arguably Sweeny's best offensive weapon, following up that performance with an even better one against Edna, where he ran for 161 yards, caught 43 more and found the end zone three times.

He hasn't let those numbers go to his head, preaching team play.

"I needed to take every play serious and just trust my blockers and be a team player," Banks said. "It's a great feeling watching everyone come together. At the start, we didn't do too good, but now that we're coming together, we're understanding it more."

As the Sweeny offense finds its identity and rhythm, they've really complemented the defense, which has been has been steady all season long.

Smith has been a big part of that with 29 tackles (14 solo, six for a loss) three sacks and two forced fumbles, one which he recovered.

Smith boasts talent as well as a confident personality, which he uses to help get his team going.

"We've just tried to strive to play harder," Smith said. "I pump my teammates up and get them going. Everyone has just seemed to step up and taking responsibility. I have tried my hardest to come out here, win games and definitely make the playoffs."

As the Bulldogs prepare for the gauntlet that is district play, the trio intends for their team to be there in the end.

Even if they aren't, they hope leading by example will help those they are leading get there.

"I want to be the best quarterback i can be and lead by example," Green said. "I want to show that you need to do right, be the first to cross the line and be the one who lifts the most weights."

For Banks, it's a bit simpler.

"Keep playing hard, don't give up and stay focused," he said.