PDA

View Full Version : Unusual School Names (ie: Yoe High)

Cameronbystander
07-28-2003, 07:59 AM
I was wondering if any other schools are named for local residents or other unusual persons.

Yoe High is named after C.H Yoe. His wife gave the land and money to Cameron ISD in 1921 after his death. As long as the original building stands and the high school is on this property, it must be called Yoe High. There is also a Yoe Day every year where students must go to the Yoe grave site and have a memorial service.

The Yoeman mascot is from medevil England. A Yeoman (correct spelling) was an officer attached to the royal family. Thus we use a medevil archer as our mascot.

Anybody else have an unusual background for their school name or mascot?

Gobbla2001
07-28-2003, 09:48 AM
I like that...

spiveyrat
07-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Jasper doesn't have an unusual name or mascot in the least. But, at one time it was known as Bevil's Settlement or Snow River. How does Snow River Bulldogs or Bevil's Bulldogs sound?

And Snow River? Where'd that come from? It doesn't snow much in SE Texas.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/JJ/hfj2.html

Old Tiger
07-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Bevil Sounds a bit better than snow river wink

sinton66
07-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Heh, heh, Magnolia was originally "Mink's Prarie". The "Mink's Prarie Bulldogs". Sounds real fierce, right?

Old Tiger
07-28-2003, 01:37 PM
sinton they could shorten it up to Mink Prarie dogs

trojandad
07-28-2003, 09:36 PM
Well, the Trojans were a strong name until the days of safe sex........have heard a few remarks since. eek!

Old Tiger
07-28-2003, 10:28 PM
lol...

Jimbotex40
07-28-2003, 10:45 PM
forney used to be named brooklyn

i think we were the brooklyn cotton pickers.

big69
07-29-2003, 01:36 PM
I was looking at team names on the collier-sharp website and saw two in class 4A- Calhoun County Sandcrabs, that sounds fierce- and Robstown Cotton Pickers, of course their not much of a football team, something like 2-38 the 4 years.

Keith7
07-29-2003, 05:03 PM
Gainesville's school name is technically "Newsome Daughtry Memorial" because the land the school was built on was given to the district from Newsome Daughtry in his will..

but I think they go with Gainesville High, because its easier for the cheerleaders to chant

Rabbit'93
07-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Jimbo you are correct, Forney used to be called Brooklyn, before the railroad was built. A man (can't remember his first name)named Forney, with the railroad company decided to have it come through the town of Brooklyn. With the railroad came a boom in the town, so the town officially changed to Forney.

Now about the mascot. There was, at one time, two schools in town. One school fielded a team that wasn't real big. At a game, a local man commented that "those boys sure do move like a bunch of Jackrabbits." If you've ever tried to catch a rabbit, you know what he meant. Now anyone that knows Forney knows that it used to have quite a population of rabbits, especially back in those days ('20s or '30s I believe). Jackrabbits are just about extinct around here now. Every once in a while way out on the north side of town, you can catch a glimpse of some.

<small>[ July 29, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Rabbit'93 ]</small>

Specklebelly
07-29-2003, 08:01 PM
I have ALWAYS wondered why Cameron High was called Cameron Yoe. Thanks for the info!!

As for my high school, it doesnt have quite as good a story behind its name. Its Rice Consolidated basically because without rice farming, nobody would live in the area. The school board had to name it something so it might as well be the something that employs a very large part of the community.

Jimbotex40
07-29-2003, 08:13 PM
is rice that small town that you can see the stadium from highway 45?

if so, i always see it on my way to and from college station.

sinton66
07-29-2003, 08:27 PM
No Jimbo, Rice is west of Houston on old Hwy.90.
Rice is a consolidated district from the two towns of Altair and Eagle Lake.

<small>[ July 29, 2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
07-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Bridge City used to be Prairie View, before they built the rainbow bridge. That's when they changed the name. The Prairie View Cardinals?? Holla if ya' hear me! :D

Jimbotex40
07-29-2003, 09:09 PM
thanks 66,

did you know what town im talking about though? the town is actually called rice.

BuckeyeGuy
07-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Gilmer's mascot is the Buckeye. Rather hard to have a mascot that looks like a nut, but we do. The Buckeye is a nut that resembles a chestnut, but is very poisonous, and is considered a good luck piece. GO BUCKEYES---Upcoming Division II State Champs 2003!!!!

spiveyrat
07-30-2003, 06:35 AM
exbccards76'smom:
Bridge City used to be Prairie View, before they built the rainbow bridge. That's when they changed the name. The Prairie View Cardinals?? Holla if ya' hear me! :D I didn't know that!!!

3afan
07-30-2003, 07:14 AM
Jimbo & Sinton66 ----- YES, the town of Rice is in between Ennis and Corsicana on I45 ... its 2A (I think) and they've only had football since the early-mid 90s ..... so i guess in a way you're both right

3afan
07-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Rabbit'93:
Jimbo you are correct, Forney used to be called Brooklyn, before the railroad was built. A man (can't remember his first name)named Forney, with the railroad company decided to have it come through the town of Brooklyn. With the railroad came a boom in the town, so the town officially changed to Forney.

Now about the mascot. There was, at one time, two schools in town. One school fielded a team that wasn't real big. At a game, a local man commented that "those boys sure do move like a bunch of Jackrabbits." If you've ever tried to catch a rabbit, you know what he meant. Now anyone that knows Forney knows that it used to have quite a population of rabbits, especially back in those days ('20s or '30s I believe). Jackrabbits are just about extinct around here now. Every once in a while way out on the north side of town, you can catch a glimpse of some.I recall reading that the reason the town's name was changed was because when it got big enuf to finally get a post office there was already a Brooklyn, TX so the name had to change ... and it was named after someone named Forney who was responsible for the RR coming thru town.