PDA

View Full Version : Wylie @ Brownwood--Who ya got?

slingshot
10-02-2016, 01:12 AM
Wylie (3-1) @ Brownwood (2-2)

District opener for both clubs, game at Brownwood. Teams should finish 1--2 in District, Lions probably only team in the district that matches Wylie for talent. Teams know each other VERY well, this is a rematch of last years top two district finishers and a rematch of a memorable Quarterfinal game--both games very close and both won by the Bulldogs.

My take: Brownwood is very good. This Senior class is the one they have been pointing to for several years. Their starters match up with us very well. I think Wylie is a little deeper. Brownwood has a new Head Coach and a new system they have had to learn on the fly... caused some early hiccups. Wylie has basically the same staff we've had for years. This Wylie squad is a little different than last year's--more offensive speed across the board and not as big up front but still have good size. Defense is scary good. Bulldogs have pretty much owned the Lions for the last 8 years... that streak continues: Wylie 28--Brownwood 21.

toddg
10-02-2016, 04:26 AM
Don't they(Brownwood) have another Bertrand coming up? thought I heard his name during our JV game last month

LionFan72
10-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Another Bertrand indeed, waiting his turn in the wings!! For the District Championship, Brownwood will be ready and at home, the stadium will be rocking!! Our chance for redemption comes Friday night. The Lions have shown a lot of heart, and have had flashes of greatness, but to date, has not put together a solid four quarters. Offense has shown strengths and grit while the defense had a few hiccups, but then we have played a murderous pre-season. Some bumps and bruises have healed in the bye week, we should be ready to rumble. I gonna stick with my Lions and say Brownwood 41-38 in OT. Better bring a sack lunch, you won't want to miss a play!!

slingshot
10-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Gotta go with my Dawgs in this one. Brownwood will be fired up at home and both sides know this is likely for the district championship. Should be a great atmosphere, stands will be full, teams and kids know each other very well, rematch of last year's quarterfinal game. As one of my Brownwood friends said--"If you can't get up for this game then you better go get an EKG, somethings wrong!". Can't ask for more. Just think Wylie's depth and speed will be too much for the Lions...

Ville-D
10-02-2016, 06:56 PM
...For the District Championship...

Nobody else has a shot?

slingshot
10-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Said "likely". But since you brought it up...

stardog
10-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Where did the R1D3 folks go. Already settled these games ? I see some of you on the Fox SW FB Friday chat. Have you abandoned the downlow ?

hollywood
10-06-2016, 01:07 PM
We'll be there! Sitting on the visitor side. Peeps that will be traveling with me will not sit on the Wood side. Lifelong Yellow Jackets. There's no way in he!! you would catch them among a crowd of rabid Brownwoodies! LOL

Three of them are starting Sophomore's with the Yellow Jackets this season. :) Coming over to experience some live scouting action.

BwdLion73
10-06-2016, 03:01 PM
They should come over and experience it, however they will have a good view of it from the visitors side. Be sure and occasionally shield their eyes.....after watching Brownwood and Wylie they might try to turn their helmets in.

:D:evillol::D

slingshot
10-06-2016, 03:23 PM
...Be sure and occasionally shield their eyes.....after watching Brownwood and Wylie they might try to turn their helmets in.

:D:evillol::DTrue, True...

hollywood
10-06-2016, 08:54 PM
They should come over and experience it, however they will have a good view of it from the visitors side. Be sure and occasionally shield their eyes.....after watching Brownwood and Wylie they might try to turn their helmets in.

:D:evillol::D

LOL..

No, these boys can play! One is starting LT (6'1" 260) and the other two are starting LB's (6'1" 195, 6'1" 215). Still growing up. Eager to learn. I'm just impressed they are giving up their Friday night off to come study more football. That's commitment!

slingshot
10-06-2016, 09:32 PM
LOL..

No, these boys can play! One is starting LT (6'1" 260) and the other two are starting LB's (6'1" 195, 6'1" 215). Still growing up. Eager to learn. I'm just impressed they are giving up their Friday night off to come study more football. That's commitment!The LT may be a little traumatized and have some sleepless nights after watching our #89 Dion Novil tomorrow night...

hollywood
10-06-2016, 10:09 PM
The LT may be a little traumatized and have some sleepless nights after watching our #89 Dion Novil tomorrow night...

Hahaha.. not after what he faced against L. Monterey last week. Lol He's a gamer. Great feet, quick, strong and intelligent. His dad was a great athlete back in the day. Good genes

Bosqueville
10-07-2016, 10:16 PM
If bwd doesn't get it together this week they will lose to Stephenville.

BwdLion73
10-07-2016, 10:27 PM
If bwd doesn't get it together this week they will lose to Stephenville.

I guess you could say that any week. I'm not sure what you mean, I thought it was a pretty good game against a top 10 team.

wyliefan
10-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Brownwood will be fine, I think they should run more as there main RB could score from anywhere on the field. Wylie size and depth was the key in my opinion as they scored on all three possessions in the second half and there was several key 3rd down conversions. Not sure of final stats, but Wylie had to be close to 300 yards on the ground. Good luck the rest of the way to the Lions!

regaleagle
10-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Wylie pounded it on the ground, huh? Ate clock and controlled the time of possession? Did the Lions try to open up the passing game, or do they have one?

slingshot
10-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Brownwood will be fine. They won't lose again in district... neither will Wylie. I stick by my original assessment--their starters matched up with us very well but our size and depth wore them down as the game went on.
Wylie will be a tough out come playoff time.

hollywood
10-08-2016, 01:19 AM
Good game! Congrats Wylie on a solid win again and in GW stadium. Not an easy venue to win in.

Both teams looked strong at times and inconsistent at other times. Signs of two solid mid season teams going at it. Brownwood's D-line is their strength IMO. Wylie's strength was their O-line. Wylie is as usual, good size overall and has depth. From my view, I don't think either team is a top 10 caliber team... yet. Both have the talent for sure but haven't put it all together just yet. Will either be able to by the time the playoffs roll around, who knows. Overall, Wylie overpowered Brownwood. Plain and simple. Neither team has an explosive offense but are effective none the less. This should be another good district battle to see who can continue to improve and survive to the end for the trophy.

On to next week. Brownwood travels to Stephenville who is 1-5 overall. Several people I talked to tonight at the game asked... what's going on with Stephenville this season? All I can say is, don't sleep on them. They have made huge strides from the beginning of the season to now. Yes, they are 1-5, but have played a pretty dang tough pre-district schedule so far fielding one of the youngest overall teams that I've seen in over 25 years. They handled Graham with athority where Brownwood trailed almost the entire game against them and won on a blocked punt return in the last seconds. It's complexing to think that Brownwood's defense had trouble stopping Graham's offense and Stephenville's defense was able to shut the same Graham offense out in the second half of their game. I think we're in for a treat this week. Don't sleep on this Stephenville team this season. They may be young, but have a lot of fight in them. This could come down to the wire for the district championship if Stephenville wins this week.

slingshot
10-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Good game! Congrats Wylie on a solid win again and in GW stadium. Not an easy venue to win in.

Both teams looked strong at times and inconsistent at other times. Signs of two solid mid season teams going at it. Brownwood's D-line is their strength IMO. Wylie's strength was their O-line. Wylie is as usual, good size overall and has depth. From my view, I don't think either team is a top 10 caliber team... yet. Both have the talent for sure but haven't put it all together just yet. Will either be able to by the time the playoffs roll around, who knows. Overall, Wylie overpowered Brownwood. Plain and simple. Neither team has an explosive offense but are effective none the less. This should be another good district battle to see who can continue to improve and survive to the end for the trophy.

On to next week. Brownwood travels to Stephenville who is 1-5 overall. Several people I talked to tonight at the game asked... what's going on with Stephenville this season? All I can say is, don't sleep on them. They have made huge strides from the beginning of the season to now. Yes, they are 1-5, but have played a pretty dang tough pre-district schedule so far fielding one of the youngest overall teams that I've seen in over 25 years. They handled Graham with athority where Brownwood trailed almost the entire game against them and won on a blocked punt return in the last seconds. It's complexing to think that Brownwood's defense had trouble stopping Graham's offense and Stephenville's defense was able to shut the same Graham offense out in the second half of their game. I think we're in for a treat this week. Don't sleep on this Stephenville team this season. They may be young, but have a lot of fight in them. This could come down to the wire for the district championship if Stephenville wins this week.
Respect your opinion but I think the teams are ranked about right--Brownwood is a mid teens team and Wylie is a #6-8 type team. I certainly don't think we're the best in 4A-DI... that would have to be Argyle or LaVega or China Spring or Henderson. They are the Big 4 right now. I do believe we are right behind those terms though...

Bosqueville
10-09-2016, 07:27 PM
If nothing else the coaching puts you in the top 10.

ccmom
10-09-2016, 10:49 PM
If nothing else the coaching puts you in the top 10.

I think Wylie is overrated in this poll. I'm thinking 15-20 and just my opinion.

What changed your mind? Our coaching staff sure didn't change in the last few weeks (or decades). ;)

Bosqueville
10-09-2016, 11:12 PM
What changed your mind? Our coaching staff sure didn't change in the last few weeks (or decades). ;)

Ahhh CCMOM, how I've missed you. And here you are second guessing my kind statement.

ccmom
10-10-2016, 12:06 AM
Ahhh CCMOM, how I've missed you. And here you are second guessing my kind statement.

Haha! I'm usually around and still have a decent memory to help me point out contradictions! :rolleyes:

Just had to razz ya! ;)

On a serious note, I really think CS is the team to beat. No disrespect to the other D1 contenders (including my Bulldogs) but I'm a believer in the 2016 Cougars. Someone may take them down, but it won't be easy.

Sure is fun to see how it all plays out!

PurplePop
10-10-2016, 07:00 AM
Mr. Coyote by 2 TD's.

Bulldog
10-10-2016, 05:22 PM
I don't think either of these teams are as good or are as deep as they were last year.

stardog
10-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Haha! I'm usually around and still have a decent memory to help me point out contradictions! :rolleyes:

Just had to razz ya! ;)

On a serious note, I really think CS is the team to beat. No disrespect to the other D1 contenders (including my Bulldogs) but I'm a believer in the 2016 Cougars. Someone may take them down, but it won't be easy.
Sure is fun to see how it all plays out!

To win it all won't be easy for the Cougars either. Just an evaluation of the CS - Burnet game. Burnet not the best but boys play hard and they are not deep at positions. Several injuries (have 5 starters out). Burnet got inside the CS 10 yd line twice and CS held and was at 12 yd line at half and time ran out. Say a good team is able to score on these 3 drives - that maybe +21 pts. CS had to punt only once (no punt) Burnet asleep - everyone dropped back to block for return -punter sees this takes off and goes 40+ yards almost scored and did on next couple of plays. Maybe that -7 pts gave up easily. Final score 49 - 13. Take the easy 7 pts away from CS and add the 21 for Burnet and that only an 8 pt difference. CS didn't show they have good pass game. Burnet had no run game, CS had no pass rush, QB had plenty of time to throw, only tried to run 1 time. CS played the pass all night line backers played back. CS had 442 total yds (402 rush, 40 pass) Burnet had 414 total yards (131 rush, 283 pass). Burnet players got worn down - lot of players going both ways.

Know that's several if's but thought it was closer than the final score. Lot of better teams out there than Burnet so I think a better team that plays a good game can beat them.

hollywood
10-11-2016, 08:34 AM
To win it all won't be easy for the Cougars either. Just an evaluation of the CS - Burnet game. Burnet not the best but boys play hard and they are not deep at positions. Several injuries (have 5 starters out). Burnet got inside the CS 10 yd line twice and CS held and was at 12 yd line at half and time ran out. Say a good team is able to score on these 3 drives - that maybe +21 pts. CS had to punt only once (no punt) Burnet asleep - everyone dropped back to block for return -punter sees this takes off and goes 40+ yards almost scored and did on next couple of plays. Maybe that -7 pts gave up easily. Final score 49 - 13. Take the easy 7 pts away from CS and add the 21 for Burnet and that only an 8 pt difference. CS didn't show they have good pass game. Burnet had no run game, CS had no pass rush, QB had plenty of time to throw, only tried to run 1 time. CS played the pass all night line backers played back. CS had 442 total yds (402 rush, 40 pass) Burnet had 414 total yards (131 rush, 283 pass). Burnet players got worn down - lot of players going both ways.

Know that's several if's but thought it was closer than the final score. Lot of better teams out there than Burnet so I think a better team that plays a good game can beat them.

It's likely going to be Argyle D1 and WOS D2 to be crowned in December.

hollywood
10-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Respect your opinion but I think the teams are ranked about right--Brownwood is a mid teens team and Wylie is a #6-8 type team. I certainly don't think we're the best in 4A-DI... that would have to be Argyle or LaVega or China Spring or Henderson. They are the Big 4 right now. I do believe we are right behind those terms though...

I respect yours too slingshot. I beleive Wylie could handle La Vega and China Spring, both would be good games. But Argyle and Henderson are on another level IMO.

ccmom
10-11-2016, 09:11 PM
I respect yours too slingshot. I beleive Wylie could handle La Vega and China Spring, both would be good games. But Argyle and Henderson are on another level IMO.

So, I'll play...;)

So you said you think Wylie vs CS or LV would be a good game and that Henderson or Argyle are on another level. I think that's a fair statement, but you also said you don't think Wylie is a top 10 team. So, the question is, what other D1 teams round out your top 10 ahead of Wylie? I'll hang up and listen...;)

BwdLion73
10-12-2016, 08:17 AM
I like stardogs method of game analyst....What he is saying is if Wylie had not scored on those three second half possessions and Brownwood had not missed the attempt for 2 on the extra point we would have won 15 to 14!

:thinking:

stardog
10-15-2016, 12:34 AM

Ok - China Spring lost to La Vega - LV makes statement that we are reigning 4A-I state champions until you can take it away.