PDA

View Full Version : 4A-DI Low Down Request

PurplePop
10-01-2016, 08:25 AM
As a 4A fan down in south Texas who follows a 4A-D-II team, I know almost nothing about the D-I power schools. Off the top of my head, I'd list Argyle, China Spring, Carthage, La Vega and Henderson as "tier 1" teams as they say on S2S.
1st question: Am I missing any tier 1's?
2nd question (and more interesting to me): Who are the players to watch on the top tier teams? For instance, Henderson and China Spring look like serious contenders but I don't know the name of a single player on either team. It would be nice to know who to keep an eye on. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

WOS87
10-01-2016, 08:37 AM
waiting for the El Campo and Alvarado fans to chime in...

Rabid Cougar
10-01-2016, 09:04 AM
As a 4A fan down in south Texas who follows a 4A-D-II team, I know almost nothing about the D-I power schools. Off the top of my head, I'd list Argyle, China Spring, Carthage, La Vega and Henderson as "tier 1" teams as they say on S2S.
1st question: Am I missing any tier 1's?
2nd question (and more interesting to me): Who are the players to watch on the top tier teams? For instance, Henderson and China Spring look like serious contenders but I don't know the name of a single player on either team. It would be nice to know who to keep an eye on. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Just think District 13.

Heck I don't even know any players to watch on China Spring.....

bird_fan
10-01-2016, 09:36 AM
I will chime in for the Ricebirds

PurplePop
10-01-2016, 09:56 AM
I will chime in for the Ricebirds

Ricebirds's MVPs?

speedbump
10-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Never heard of El Campo and Stafford? LOL

Dawgs
10-01-2016, 02:45 PM

Who is the favorite in district 12? El Campo or Stafford? Looks like Carthage will play the winner of that game in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

PurplePop
10-01-2016, 03:42 PM

My mom grew up in Wharton. I spent every Christmas and most 4th of July's there as a kid hangin' out at my grandpa's firework stand. (I miss PaPa.) Cousin Gary played on the Wharton little league team that barely lost to the El Campo team that went to LL World Series in '61. I grew up about 10 miles due north of Stafford. It's hard to for me to see Stafford or Missouri City or Sugarland as their own small towns anymore after they got swallowed whole by Houston. Anyway, the gist of my request wasn't to argue about who the best 4A-DI teams are. It was for people to tell me who the best kids are on the best 4A-DI teams so I could get a little more connected to what's going on in DI. If you think El Campo and Stafford are tier one, give me a name or two... please ... respectfully ... LOL

speedbump
10-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Who is the favorite in district 12? El Campo or Stafford? Looks like Carthage will play the winner of that game in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Like your game against Henderson, it won't matter who the favorite is? You will see one of the two in the second round. You would probably match up better with Stafford.

speedbump
10-01-2016, 05:04 PM
My mom grew up in Wharton. I spent every Christmas and most 4th of July's there as a kid hangin' out at my grandpa's firework stand. (I miss PaPa.) Cousin Gary played on the Wharton little league team that barely lost to the El Campo team that went to LL World Series in '61. I grew up about 10 miles due north of Stafford. It's hard to for me to see Stafford or Missouri City or Sugarland as their own small towns anymore after they got swallowed whole by Houston. Anyway, the gist of my request wasn't to argue about who the best 4A-DI teams are. It was for people to tell me who the best kids are on the best 4A-DI teams so I could get a little more connected to what's going on in DI. If you think El Campo and Stafford are tier one, give me a name or two... please ... respectfully ... LOL

El Campo doesn't have any superstars. They have a 4 year starter in the line but nobody has ever heard of him. He's only 6'1 - 250 or so (Reid Zboril) EC didn't win state in track(that was Stafford) they won't impress you if you like the flag football offense many teams are using these days. The Birds play clean,very phycical hard nosed football and shuffle players in and out from the opening minute on. Their back ups have almost as much time as the starters under coach Condra. If you're gonna beat EC you better have a good start on it going into the fourth quarter.

speedbump
10-01-2016, 05:18 PM
My mom grew up in Wharton. I spent every Christmas and most 4th of July's there as a kid hangin' out at my grandpa's firework stand. (I miss PaPa.) Cousin Gary played on the Wharton little league team that barely lost to the El Campo team that went to LL World Series in '61.

Here is some LL World Series trivia for you. In 1961 El Campo lost the championship game 4-2 on a two out, three run homer in the bottom of the sixth (talk about heartbreak) The El Cajon Cal. pitcher was the kid that hit the HR but his catcher was a starting QB in the Super Bowl in the 70s. Who was he?

Dawgs
10-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Like your game against Henderson, it won't matter who the favorite is? You will see one of the two in the second round. You would probably match up better with Stafford.

I don't understand...who do you think will win the game between El Campo and Stafford? It's a simple question. How do you know who Carthage would matchup better with? Have you seen them play this year? I'll be very happy to see Carthage meet up with El Campo if it happens.

speedbump
10-01-2016, 06:22 PM
I don't understand...who do you think will win the game between El Campo and Stafford? It's a simple question. How do you know who Carthage would matchup better with? Have you seen them play this year? I'll be very happy to see Carthage meet up with El Campo if it happens.

I think EC can win the game but Stafford will be the favorite in most circles. We will just have to see how it plays out. I've seen Carthage on the KGAS stuff and they seem to fare better against those defenses that look like they are playing flag football. EC doesn't play that stuff. I don't know if the Dogs are as physical as the Birds but they may have to be to win. If it's the Dogs and Birds again I know Carthage will be very good, as usual. I also know the Birds will show up to play.

toddg
10-01-2016, 06:57 PM
I think EC can win the game but Stafford will be the favorite in most circles. We will just have to see how it plays out. I've seen Carthage on the KGAS stuff and they seem to fare better against those defenses that look like they are playing flag football. EC doesn't play that stuff. I don't know if the Dogs are as physical as the Birds but they may have to be to win. If it's the Dogs and Birds again I know Carthage will be very good, as usual. I also know the Birds will show up to play. as your sig so eloquently states..stink on stink, low man wins ..ice machine football!

PurplePop
10-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Here is some LL World Series trivia for you. In 1961 El Campo lost the championship game 4-2 on a two out, three run homer in the bottom of the sixth (talk about heartbreak) The El Cajon Cal. pitcher was the kid that hit the HR but his catcher was a starting QB in the Super Bowl in the 70s. Who was he?

Man. That's as heartbreak as it gets. Wow.

I deliberated your trivia question all through dinner. My wife parent's are in town for my son's game last night so it was an in-law dinner. My wife kept asking me why I was so quiet. Sometimes honesty is not the best policy. I was thinking it can't be Bradshaw. He's from Louisiana. I think Staubach, Tarkington and Griese would have been too old. Tarkington and Griese were in the '72 Super Bowl at Rice Stadium. (I think it was '72.) It might be Stabler but I think he was from the south. Or, was I just thinking that because he went to 'Bama (I think). Anyway, catchers aren't lefties. So, it was probably some guy on a losing team that I can't remember. I think Stabler won his Super Bowl against Ron Jaworski's Eagles. And, I think Staubach won one against Craig Morton's Broncos. Morton was a dinosaur so it's probably not him. So, I'll go with Jaworski. My confidence level isn't very high on this one.

FB-fanatic
10-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Chine Spring - QB Haigood RB Dudick
LaVega - QB and coaches son Williams

speedbump
10-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Man. That's as heartbreak as it gets. Wow.

I deliberated your trivia question all through dinner. My wife parent's are in town for my son's game last night so it was an in-law dinner. My wife kept asking me why I was so quiet. Sometimes honesty is not the best policy. I was thinking it can't be Bradshaw. He's from Louisiana. I think Staubach, Tarkington and Griese would have been too old. Tarkington and Griese were in the '72 Super Bowl at Rice Stadium. (I think it was '72.) It might be Stabler but I think he was from the south. Or, was I just thinking that because he went to 'Bama (I think). Anyway, catchers aren't lefties. So, it was probably some guy on a losing team that I can't remember. I think Stabler won his Super Bowl against Ron Jaworski's Eagles. And, I think Staubach won one against Craig Morton's Broncos. Morton was a dinosaur so it's probably not him. So, I'll go with Jaworski. My confidence level isn't very high on this one.

I just ruined your dinner for nothing. Sorry, I got my own trivia question wrong. LOL I had the guy right (Brian Sipe) but he never started in a SB. Somehow I got him mixed up with Ken Anderson. Getting old is an adventure now and then.

PurplePop
10-01-2016, 09:28 PM
I just ruined your dinner for nothing. Sorry, I got my own trivia question wrong. LOL I had the guy right (Brian Sipe) but he never started in a SB. Somehow I got him mixed up with Ken Anderson. Getting old is an adventure now and then.

Believe me, you didn't ruin my dinner. It was fun trying to remember those SB's.

PurplePop
10-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Chine Spring - QB Haigood RB Dudick
LaVega - QB and coaches son Williams

Thx. Is Williams a senior? Good teams with the HC's son at QB usually are really tough to beat like Giddings last year before QB got hurt.

speedbump
10-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Believe me, you didn't ruin my dinner. It was fun trying to remember those SB's.

Just read that the kid who hit the walk off homer against EC did the same thing in the semifinals. What a year he had!

PurplePop
10-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Just read that the kid who hit the walk off homer against EC did the same thing in the semifinals. What a year he had!

I was hoping it was Jaworski. I never liked Jaworski. I was thinking would he rather have a SB ring or the LL World Series walk-off. Oh, well.