PDA

View Full Version : I have a "mom" question for you

Ranger Mom
06-07-2003, 09:11 AM
What are the advantages and or disadvantages to having a track around the football field?? I seem to see more and more fields going to a trackless field. What I had heard about the Midland Sports Complex was they couldn't install a track because it also doubles as a soccer field, which is evidently wider. So....if you are using it strictly for football, why wouldn't you have a track there also??
This may have been discussed at some other time, and if you can tell me where the discussion is, I don't mind going back and reading up on it!

vet93
06-07-2003, 09:50 AM
RangerMom...I think that the advantage to having the track around the football field is purely logistical. It keeps you from having a seperate track complex and allows you to have a multi-sport venue (two for the price of one). I personally don't like having the track around the football field because it makes you too far away from the action which is why many schools want the more intimate feel of a football only complex. I like to be right on top of the field. By the way...my wife and I are going to try to make the Greenwood/Ballinger game in week 0. We need to set up something at halftime so that we can meet in person. My wife has read several of your posts and would love to meet you. We will have our three kids in tow as well (4, 6 and 8 months). It will be my youngest daughters first football game! Let me know and we can set something up when we get closer to week 0.

Ranger Mom
06-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Okay!! Sounds like a plan!

Bandera YaYa
06-07-2003, 08:18 PM
I'm with you, I love our old stadium because you are literally right on top of the game...in fact many teams that visit say the sidelines are too close to the bleachers...we had to move the stadium over 5 ft last year to put a little space between the field and bleachers! But it's a real intimate field...old, but cozy I think!

PhiI C
06-08-2003, 08:35 AM
I agree that it is economics and space limitations that most schools have the track in front of the stadium seats. I would prefer that they be separated with the seats as close to the field as possible. It is a good idea to leave enough room for soccer but the track should be separated. If any school decides to build a new stadium it would be best to keep track separate from football. Just my thoughts.

Green Ranger
06-08-2003, 12:08 PM
The Grande Facilities are very nice but do not think a track would be beneficial for several reasons. We can go to odessa which is right down the road. Soccer fields can be as big as 110 yds long and 100 yds wide. I have seen soccer fields put within a track, at that same location I have seen some nasty injuries due to the closeness of the track to the sidelines. Soccer is up and coming with as many club teams that there are in Midland so that is why I think the field was done like it was. Hope everybody is having a nice summer.

Keith7
06-08-2003, 02:42 PM
We have a track on our field and a soccer team.. theres plenty of room.. plus if you have a seperate place for a track, alot of times there are no bleachers or places to sit.. I know track isnt the funnest thing to watch, but in recent years we've drawn pretty big crowds to our meet and i know they all wouldnt just want to stand around the track the entire time

sinton66
06-08-2003, 08:16 PM
I remember a lot of the smaller schools out in West Texas not having tracks around the field. I kinda miss being close enough to the field that the kids can hear you easily if you shout something to them. It does give an air of intimacy to the game.

Keith7
06-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Celina has a little bitty stadium with no track on it.. and theres no room for the cheerleaders...