PDA

View Full Version : Week 6: West Orange-Stark (5-0) vs Kennedale (2-2) Sep. 30th at Nacogdoches

WOS87
09-23-2016, 10:30 PM
DII WO-S has outscored five opponents 254-2 but this should be the biggest test of the regular season for them. They enter the game with a 16 game winning streak, their longest since 1988.

DI Kennedale has a close loss to Alvarado 14-21 and lost to larger Whitehouse 21-34 Week 5.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Was hoping the game was in WOS might be heading that way on Friday but now see it's in Nacogdoches.

Last game for WOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZMUTJwMOfs

griff
09-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Are there any Kennedale fans here?

d0tc0m
09-27-2016, 09:25 AM
WOS by as much as they want again this week. This is not the Kennedale team we've seen over the past few years. The Mustangs defense could easily pitch another shutout and remain un-scored upon this year - that safety from last week not withstanding.

Wayne
09-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Have to agree with Dotcom, this is not the same Kennedale team of the past. With that being said, Kennedale is going to have to do more than run the ball if they want to compete in the playoffs.

toddg
09-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Have to agree with Dotcom, this is not the same Kennedale team of the past. With that being said, Kennedale is going to have to do more than run the ball if they want to compete in the playoffs.they are pretty much the same..they just played a harder non-district this year, kaufman dang near beat them last year..and they were the best team on their nd schedule last year. my observation of kennedale this year is that their offense is a little out of sync, maybe its the qb, or, the rbs are not as talented. they have 2 qbs that can pass the ball pretty good if given the chance..maybe its just some adjustments that needs to be made. their defense is as good, just not getting the support from the offense as in the past..look for that to change at some point.

toddg
09-27-2016, 09:38 PM
How many folks predicting shut out has actually seen Kennedale play this season?

griff
09-27-2016, 10:10 PM
How many folks predicting shut out has actually seen Kennedale play this season?

d0tc0m is the only one here who predicted that possibility.

As for Kennedale, I've watched two of their games. The WO-S defense has always been geared to stop the run first, so with Kennedale having a run-only style offense, and the way the WO-S defense is playing, it could be a long night.

d0tc0m
09-28-2016, 08:06 AM

I haven't seen them in person, but I have watched the Alvarado film, the Terrell film and some of the Whitehouse film. The Wildcats still look like the same ol' Wildcats we've come to know over the past few years ... schematically, anyway. I do like both their QBs. They both seem to be able to throw the ball well, especially the southpaw (No. 14, I think). The problem is, they don't throw it enough, in all honesty, at least, not for this matchup. This WOS team will be the most athletic team Kennedale has faced and will face this season. The Mustangs have the luxury of speed and skill at all levels on the defensive side of the ball, meaning they can freely stack the box against the Kennedale run, because their secondary guys are skilled enough to play on islands, especially knowing they won't be challenged by the pass but for a few times in the game. The Mustangs defensive line is quick off the ball and strong, and they don't miss many tackles. The linebackers make good reads and flow to the ball carrier well. The secondary plays great coverage and they're all speedy ball hawks. As a defensive unit, WOS has an ability to keep teams in uncomfortable second- and third-down situations, and for a team like Kennedale, that's just a recipe for a long night. I'm telling you, even if the Wildcats hit a pass or two, it won't change what the Mustangs will do, defensively. They're so skilled and athletic, they'll continue to take chances defensively, knowing they'll win the matchups more often than not. Kennedale has some good athletes, that's clear after watching film. But to give up 34 points to a not-so-good Whitehouse team ... that's disconcerting, to say the least, heading into a matchup like Friday's. The Mustangs would blow the doors off Whitehouse, if not shut them out.

I hope Kennedale proves me wrong and makes me eat some crow on Saturday, but I just can't see it happening. This WOS team is playing at an historic pace right now, and I just don't think the Wildcats have the horses ... at least not this season ... to derail that onslaught. I think the Mustangs win by four or five touchdowns.

GUNHO
09-28-2016, 08:23 AM

Last week on the High School Extra show they were saying WO-S was still on track to match Dangerfield's 83 team record.Is this guy for real?There are still 10 games left to play.When we get to to a few games remaining and that possibility still remains,then we can discuss it.I for one don't think that is going to happen and most that really know football would agree.
As for Kennedale.I'm not looking for a shut out but I can't rule it out.

d0tc0m
09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Last week on the High School Extra show they were saying WO-S was still on track to match Dangerfield's 83 team record.Is this guy for real?There are still 10 games left to play.When we get to to a few games remaining and that possibility still remains,then we can discuss it.I for one don't think that is going to happen and most that really know football would agree.
As for Kennedale.I'm not looking for a shut out but I can't rule it out.

I mean we're in Week 6 and the Mustangs defense hasn't given up any points yet ... so yes, it's worth talking about. Will it happen? Will the Mustangs match those Daingerfield Tigers of yore? From a yards allowed standpoint, probably not. What that '83 Daingerfield did, giving up under a foot per snap, will never be matched. But from a points allowed standpoint ... who knows? Maybe Kennedale puts up some points this week, or maybe one of the very weak district opponents gets a couple scores in scrap minutes against the second- and third-teams. But honestly, I could see the Mustangs pitching a shutout each week until maybe the second or third round of the playoffs.

If I was a betting man, I'd say there's no way WOS matches that Daingerfield team record. But in the offensive era we live in, what the Mustangs are doing is special. There's a lot of football left to be played, but through this point in the season, it's worth having the conversation about what that defensive unit has accomplished so far.

GUNHO
09-28-2016, 10:42 AM
I mean we're in Week 6 and the Mustangs defense hasn't given up any points yet ... so yes, it's worth talking about. Will it happen? Will the Mustangs match those Daingerfield Tigers of yore? From a yards allowed standpoint, probably not. What that '83 Daingerfield did, giving up under a foot per snap, will never be matched. But from a points allowed standpoint ... who knows? Maybe Kennedale puts up some points this week, or maybe one of the very weak district opponents gets a couple scores in scrap minutes against the second- and third-teams. But honestly, I could see the Mustangs pitching a shutout each week until maybe the second or third round of the playoffs.

If I was a betting man, I'd say there's no way WOS matches that Daingerfield team record. But in the offensive era we live in, what the Mustangs are doing is special. There's a lot of football left to be played, but through this point in the season, it's worth having the conversation about what that defensive unit has accomplished so far.

I'll agree after this weeks game we want face any teams any stronger than we have already played until we get a couple of rounds deep and I expect a few more shut outs until we reach that point.Daingerfield 83 we are not.That was a beast of a team.We have some young fans that think no one can score on this team but fail to realize just how difficult of a task that is to accomplish.That 2012 squad also had a great defense but ran into Navasota that cleaned our plow.I think they cleaned every bodies plow that year.

d0tc0m
09-28-2016, 10:46 AM
I'll agree after this weeks game we want face any teams any stronger than we have already played until we get a couple of rounds deep and I expect a few more shut outs until we reach that point.Daingerfield 83 we are not.That was a beast of a team.We have some young fans that think no one can score on this team but fail to realize just how difficult of a task that is to accomplish.That 2012 squad also had a great defense but ran into Navasota that cleaned our plow.I think they cleaned every bodies plow that year.

And this WOS team is, at least from what I've seen, head and shoulders above the 2012 team. And, there is no 2012 Navasota lurking anywhere in the postseason for the Mustangs to deal with.

d0tc0m
09-28-2016, 10:54 AM
And this WOS team is, at least from what I've seen, head and shoulders above the 2012 team. And, there is no 2012 Navasota lurking anywhere in the postseason for the Mustangs to deal with.

In saying all this, it makes it sound like I'm a WOS fanboy or something, which isn't the case. Don't get me wrong, I hope you guys get tested and stretched and pushed to the limit to the point where you've got to try to win a game on the last possession. I don't foresee that happening until the postseason, but I suppose it could happen. But from everything I've seen, there's not a team RIGHT NOW in Div. II that can compete with the Mustangs. I think Gilmer would certainly score some points on the Mustangs, but their defense isn't anywhere close to being good enough right now to win. The only team that I've seen on film that could matchup with WOS right now is Carthage.

Lots of football to play, but that's just the way things appear to me heading into Week 6.

toddg
09-28-2016, 08:08 PM
talked to coach Barrett, he said the wildcats are going to go ahead and show up:)

d0tc0m
09-28-2016, 08:25 PM
talked to coach Barrett, he said the wildcats are going to go ahead and show up:)

Figured they would. Didn't see anything on this board to the contrary. You don't get points for showing up, though.

Tejastrue
09-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Would love to see someone give them a game...maybe score a couple of TDs. It would give the rest of the 4A DII world some hope. lol

PurplePop
09-28-2016, 09:37 PM
Sounds like WOS shouldn't even bother with the 4A playoffs this year. Maybe they should petition the UIL to play up.

d0tc0m
09-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Sounds like WOS shouldn't even bother with the 4A playoffs this year. Maybe they should petition the UIL to play up.

Dumb idea.

PurplePop
09-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Dumb idea.

It's certainly not the dumbest idea I ever had. That's not sayin' much

d0tc0m
09-28-2016, 10:45 PM
It's certainly not the dumbest idea I ever had. That's not sayin' much

Lord knows I've had my fair share.

WOS87
09-29-2016, 01:29 AM
The Orange Leader article on the upcoming game: http://www.orangeleader.com/2016/09/28/mustangs-facing-kennedale-test/

Has anyone checked out Cuero? They've only given up 14 points in five games. Let's talk about them!

GUNHO
09-29-2016, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=WOS87;1905578]The Orange Leader article on the upcoming game: http://www.orangeleader.com/2016/09/28/mustangs-facing-kennedale-test/

Has anyone checked out Cuero? They've only given up 14 points in five games. Let's talk about them![/QU

They have scored 224 points.just 30 shy of WO-S.
Yeah.....they should be in this conversation.

d0tc0m
09-29-2016, 08:27 AM
The Orange Leader article on the upcoming game: http://www.orangeleader.com/2016/09/28/mustangs-facing-kennedale-test/

Has anyone checked out Cuero? They've only given up 14 points in five games. Let's talk about them![/QU

They have scored 224 points.just 30 shy of WO-S.
Yeah.....they should be in this conversation.

Cuero will be in the conversation come December for sure. As will Navarro, in my opinion. And I wouldn't sleep on Wimberley in Region IV either. Those three teams are going to have a whale of a time in the postseason, and it's going to be a blast to watch it all unfold.

Gsquared
09-29-2016, 08:50 AM

Has anyone checked out Cuero? They've only given up 14 points in five games. Let's talk about them!

I saw the Cuero/Yoakum game

toddg
09-29-2016, 09:06 AM
contrary to what WOS posters on other forums think, Baron Browning for Kennedale will be the best athlete on the field friday in Nac.

coach
09-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Nacogdoches has an underrated playing surface and field. These teams will thoroughly enjoy playing this game in Nac.

King-Kat
09-29-2016, 09:35 AM
I would not under estimate Kennedale this year, they will fight to the end I say Kennedale wins 24-17

griff
09-29-2016, 09:44 AM
contrary to what WOS posters on other forums think, Baron Browning for Kennedale will be the best athlete on the field friday in Nac.

ONE poster said that on the SW Football Friday app. We're aware of the accolades Baron Browning has received. He is deserving of the high recruiting status. I noticed your team affiliation is Alvarado. So, why are you so loud about Kennedale?

griff
09-29-2016, 09:52 AM
I would not under estimate Kennedale this year, they will fight to the end I say Kennedale wins 24-17

That is such a casual prediction. In the spirit of toddg, let me ask you, have you seen WO-S play this year?

toddg
09-29-2016, 09:53 AM
ONE poster said that on the SW Football Friday app. We're aware of the accolades Baron Browning has received. He is deserving of the high recruiting status. I noticed your team affiliation is Alvarado. So, why are you so loud about Kennedale?we play kennedale from peewee on up to hs for a lot of years..have many friends there..and a lot of respect for Coach Barrett..simple as that.

SaltySixes
09-29-2016, 10:32 AM
True

GUNHO
09-29-2016, 11:22 AM

I expect WO-S to win this game and I don't take Kennedale lightly.They might upset WO-S but they want score 4 TD's on this defense...not by just running the ball.

waterboy
09-29-2016, 11:23 AM
West Orange-Stark will win this game, but Kennedale will be the best team the Mustangs have faced this season thus far. That may not be saying much, though, because it will likely be a 4 to 5 TD win. Kennedale will likely score that first TD against them, in my opinion.

Dawgs
09-29-2016, 12:04 PM
West Orange-Stark will win this game, but Kennedale will be the best team the Mustangs have faced this season thus far. That may not be saying much, though, because it will likely be a 4 to 5 TD win. Kennedale will likely score that first TD against them, in my opinion.

Yea I'm not doubting Kennedale will be the best team WO-S has played, but this is gonna be a blowout. I've heard talk of Kennedale defense, but they have up 34 points to a Whitehouse team that had 28 total yards at halftime against Carthage.

Let's just fast forward to Gilmer WO-S at Jerrys World 😜😜.

waterboy
09-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Let's just fast forward to Gilmer WO-S at Jerrys World ����.

Hahaha...NO! We have a long road ahead of us, and if we don't gel defensively and stop the turnovers, I can't see us getting there.

Dawgs
09-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Hahaha...NO! We have a long road ahead of us, and if we don't gel defensively and stop the turnovers, I can't see us getting there.

Come on Waterboy who on that side of the bracket can hang with the Buckeyes?

Seriously if the defense gels into a bend but don't break, and just get some timely stops yall are gonna be a very very tough out. Now if you don't get the turnover problem fixed that will get yalls butt beat. That's one thing you can always count on is Gilmer turning the ball over. In years yall don't you win state. That has always been a problem at Gilmer for some reason. I guess it's the pace of the offense. I remember in 2013 I kept on waiting for yall to fix the problem but it never happened. That was a heck of a team, but turnovers killed them.

waterboy
09-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Come on Waterboy who on that side of the bracket can hang with the Buckeyes?

Seriously if the defense gels into a bend but don't break, and just get some timely stops yall are gonna be a very very tough out. Now if you don't get the turnover problem fixed that will get yalls butt beat. That's one thing you can always count on is Gilmer turning the ball over. In years yall don't you win state. That has always been a problem at Gilmer for some reason. I guess it's the pace of the offense. I remember in 2013 I kept on waiting for yall to fix the problem but it never happened. That was a heck of a team, but turnovers killed them.

I can think of a few that can hang with us, especially if we don't get some things fixed. Namely, Gladewater, Atlanta, and maybe even Tatum. Our offense is plenty good enough to overcome some of those mistakes, but you're right, turnovers will get us beat when we play the better teams.

In the game against Nacogdoches, we had four turnovers (at least two were unforced, all deep in our own territory) and still won. If not for the TOs we would've likely beaten Nac badly.

bobcat1
09-29-2016, 03:28 PM
WOS by as many as they want.

GUNHO
09-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Yea I'm not doubting Kennedale will be the best team WO-S has played, but this is gonna be a blowout. I've heard talk of Kennedale defense, but they have up 34 points to a Whitehouse team that had 28 total yards at halftime against Carthage.

Let's just fast forward to Gilmer WO-S at Jerrys World ����.

I think there is a team in region lV that would say hold up a minute on that.

bleedgreen
09-30-2016, 05:12 PM
I shouldn't have a problem tonight getting scores for this game from WOS. I'm sure they have a good following who will post here. Besides, only 2 points have been scored on the WOS defense and Kennedale is just a small bump in the road on the way to being state champs. What I'm looking for from Kennedale is "NOOOOO" turnovers and no personal fouls. I've seen Kennedale upset high ranked teams in the past and there's a 10% chance it could happen again. It's time to roll the dice.

King-Kat
09-30-2016, 10:24 PM
May not of won but 45-21 not bad hang in there k town

WOS87
09-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Was 38-0 and some WOS player pulled two unsportsmanlike conduct calls which Kennedale turned into two immediate scores at the end. They are definitely big and physical and the toughest opponent we've seen this year easily. Don't let that 2-3 record fool ya whomever has to face them after this!

There were a gazillion penalties on both sides. The refs didn't let anything slide.

griff
10-01-2016, 01:43 AM
The third TD by Kennedale should not have counted. A WO-S defender was breathing down the neck of their QB, then was badly held to the point where his jersey was almost pulled off. It had a direct impact on the play and allowed the QB to get free and score. The ref blew that big time.

It seems that after one of the WO-S guys got tossed for throwing a punch, we may have lost some compusure, at least a couple of players may have. It lead to a Kennedale TD. Kennedale was facing 3rd and 17 and would likely have punted there. This TD could have been prevented and I can understand Coach T being upset over that.

That 96 yard TD from Kennedale was a blast up the middle. Our safety seemed to move out of position and the play came right at the area he moved away from. That was an impressive burst and Kennedale definitely earned that one. In spite of all my nitpicking (not to mention too many penalties), the defense played great. Only 70 or so yards allowed in the first half. A few mistakes late in the game bit us, but overall the Mustangs earned an impressive win.

Kennedale is easily the best team WO-S has faced so far. They were big, physical, and their tailbacks have good speed. This is the kind of competition the Mustangs can expect in the playoffs.

Now it's on to district play...

WOS87
10-01-2016, 02:28 AM
Now that the monkey is off our backs... and consecutive win #17 is out of the way (our record is 24 from 1986-1988)... on to district.

toddg
10-01-2016, 05:00 AM
Now that the monkey is off our backs... and consecutive win #17 is out of the way (our record is 24 from 1986-1988)... on to district.
My 20s were a blur.. I don't recall the 86-88 seasons..:eek:

WOS1
10-01-2016, 08:52 AM
I'm just telling you folks, Kennedale is one of those teams that, if they can clean up the turnovers and penalties, could be one of those multi-loss teams we see that gel at the right time and go deep in the playoffs like Cuero last year. They have size, speed, physicality and leadership (with Browning). Would not surprise me at all to go on a run.

The Mustangs need to work on their composure and discipline as well. With the game in complete control at 38-0 late in the 3rd we let them bait us into some PF penalties. The game was over and our kids lost focus... Still to much "self" involved...

toddg
10-01-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm just telling you folks, Kennedale is one of those teams that, if they can clean up the turnovers and penalties, could be one of those multi-loss teams we see that gel at the right time and go deep in the playoffs like Cuero last year. They have size, speed, physicality and leadership (with Browning). Would not surprise me at all to go on a run.

The Mustangs need to work on their composure and discipline as well. With the game in complete control at 38-0 late in the 3rd we let them bait us into some PF penalties. The game was over and our kids lost focus... Still to much "self" involved...its been Kennedale's MO for years, "if they. clean up the turnovers, and penalties"...thing is, they never really do, it's who they are. Some years we have the horses to bear them, some years we don't. they will get on roll in district and through the playoffs rounds 2 and 3 and then run into that team with the ability to match their physicality, and have the resolve to force them back to their MO.

XX Man
10-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Was 38-0 and some WOS player pulled two unsportsmanlike conduct calls which Kennedale turned into two immediate scores at the end. They are definitely big and physical and the toughest opponent we've seen this year easily. Don't let that 2-3 record fool ya whomever has to face them after this!

There were a gazillion penalties on both sides. The refs didn't let anything slide.

Actually, what happened is that Coach Thompson pulled the 2 defensive linemen that had the Unsportsmanlike Conduct, and put the backups in, and benched the 2 offenders. Kennedale promptly took advantage of the weakened line and ran 2 TDs through there. The 3rd TD was a QB keeper.

Ceuro and Gilmer are tough this year. If you look, all of the teams in the top 10 4A Div II, are putting up impressive numbers,