PDA

View Full Version : Regional favorites now!!

ECBirdFan
09-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Who do you think are the favorites right now for each region of Class 4a?

We can wait a few weeks and do this one again to see who everyone thinks it is just before the playoffs?

Dawgs
09-19-2016, 02:53 PM
D1
Region 1: Argyle
Region 2: Van
Region 3: Carthage
Region 4: China Spring

Yoe_09
09-19-2016, 05:00 PM
At this point, give me:

DI
Region I: Argyle
Region II: Van
Region III: Carthage
Region IV: China Spring

DII
Region I: Sweetwater
Region II: Gilmer
Region III: West Orange-Stark
Region IV: Navarro

lostaussie
09-19-2016, 05:05 PM
DII
R1 Sweetwater
R2 Gilmer/Gladewater
R3 WOS
R4 Navarro/Cuero

lostaussie
09-19-2016, 05:06 PM
D1
Region 1: Argyle
Region 2: Van
Region 3: Carthage
Region 4: China Spring

Van is an interesting pick in D1

Dawgs
09-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Van is an interesting pick in D1

I look and don't know who else. There are a buncha teams that are all bunched up together. Kennedale, Terrell, Kaufman, and Van. Then there is a team that is 0-4 who has all the tools to win the whole thing. But LE has to win baby. All the tools don't mean nothing if you don't know how to do the job.

lostaussie
09-19-2016, 06:44 PM
I look and don't know who else. There are a buncha teams that are all bunched up together. Kennedale, Terrell, Kaufman, and Van. Then there is a team that is 0-4 who has all the tools to win the whole thing. But LE has to win baby. All the tools don't mean nothing if you don't know how to do the job.

Yea I went in and looked. I still say LE has the horses, but doubt has to be creeping in and at this point there could potentially be some infighting which hopefully is not the case. Kennedale could also be a player. Van has been impressive so far for sure. I just think a W for LE will get them headed in the right direction.

lostaussie
09-19-2016, 06:48 PM
This is actually a good thread. D1 is loaded in every region. I'm gonna take a swing at D1 in a bit after I do a little studying. Lots of smart guys and gals on here. I would like to see what some think. Who are the sleepers out there?

toddg
09-19-2016, 09:02 PM
I don't like looking that far ahead, but a Alvarado/Kennedale rematch could happen in 3rd round in Reg.2, possible 2nd round match ups will be brutal across the board.

lostaussie
09-20-2016, 08:11 AM
D1
R1 Argyle
R2 Alvarado
R3 Carthage
R4 LaVega/China Spring

d0tc0m
09-20-2016, 08:38 AM
DI

R1 Argyle
R2 Alvarado
R3 Carthage
R4 China Spring

DII

R1 Sweetwater (But Krum could surprise some folks)
R2 Gilmer
R3 WOS
R4 Cuero/Navarro

I know this isn't part of the original thread, but if I take it all the way through, I like Argyle vs Carthage for the state title in DI, with Carthage being a slight favorite right now. And in DII, give me WOS over Gilmer.

speedbump
09-20-2016, 09:50 AM
DI

R1 Argyle
R2 Van
R3 El Campo
R4 China Spring

DII

R1 Sweetwater
R2 Gilmer
R3 WOS
R4 Wharton/Cuero

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-20-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't know jack about Regions 1, 2, or 3, but I do know Region 4.

Region 4 D1 favorites - China Spring & Waco La Vega (Why are they in R4 in the first place? WTH?)

Region 4 D2 favorites - Cuero & Navarro, with Sinton a very close 3rd. I have Sinton as 3rd because they have shown that their defense is suspect, cases in point: Orange Grove (led at half) and Beeville last week. I'd mention Wharton, but they did lose against a very good El Campo team last week which shows that they are beatable when they play higher caliber teams.

Dawgs
09-20-2016, 10:59 AM
DI

R1 Argyle
R2 Van
R3 El Campo
R4 China Spring

DII

R1 Sweetwater
R2 Gilmer
R3 WOS
R4 Wharton/Cuero

Looks like Carthage and El Campo can either meet in the 2nd round or Regional Final. Still a long way to go, but I would love to meet up with El Campo. The 2 times we have met they have been great games. Since 2007 we are 35-5 in the playoffs and 2 of those losses have come to El Campo. The other 3 losses are to La Vega, Argyle, and LH.

Rabid Cougar
09-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Region 4 D1 favorites - China Spring & Waco La Vega (Why are they in R4 in the first place? WTH?)

We like Padre better than Fort Worth?

44INAROW
09-20-2016, 11:42 AM

nice answer....

slingshot
09-20-2016, 12:22 PM
DI

R1 Wylie
R2 Alvarado
R3 Carthage
R4 La Vega

DII

R1 Krum
R2 Gilmer
R3 WOS
R4 Navarro

SaltySixes
09-20-2016, 01:47 PM
DI

R1 Argyle
R2 Van
R3 El Campo
R4 China Spring

DII

R1 Sweetwater
R2 Gilmer
R3 WOS
R4 Wharton/Cuero

My God, Wharton is so over rated!

SintonFan_inAustin
09-20-2016, 02:02 PM
My God, Wharton is so over rated!That would depend if El Campo is over rated which they're not. I can see Wharton having a bad game going against Navarro but would match up better with Cuero. It's about matchups and Navarro style hasn't matched up well against Cuero while Wharton has had better outings against Cuero.

R4 Cuero/Navarro with Wharton next. Sinton and Wimberley after that with Sinton being very young team and should be experience enough by the time they face Wharton and Cuero to see if they belong in the top spots.

44INAROW
09-20-2016, 02:10 PM
:1popcorn::1popcorn::1popcorn:

speedbump
09-20-2016, 02:39 PM

Pick some yourself then. I'll see where I could have done better :1popcorn:

SaltySixes
09-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Pick some yourself then. I'll see where I could have done better :1popcorn:

I dont know the other regions as well as region 4, but i would say Wharton is more like the 5th or 6th best team in the region.

lostaussie
09-20-2016, 03:55 PM

So Wharton is over rated because he didn't pick Navarro? It's just a pick. Have some fun with it.

SaltySixes
09-20-2016, 03:57 PM
So Wharton is over rated because he didn't pick Navarro? It's just a pick. Have some fun with it.

Point made...

lostaussie
09-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Point made...

I almost picked 0-4 Liberty Eylau.......probably should have.

speedbump
09-20-2016, 04:13 PM
I dont know the other regions as well as region 4, but i would say Wharton is more like the 5th or 6th best team in the region.

Wharton returned 9 offensive and 8 defensive starters from a team that beat Cuero last year by 22 points. They will play with anybody in region 4.

SaltySixes
09-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Wharton returned 9 offensive and 8 defensive starters from a team that beat Cuero last year by 22 points. They will play with anybody in region 4.

We are in week 5! The time for talk about last year has passed.... cuero has also improved immensely since they played wharton. It took cuero a pretty long time last year to get it totally figured out, like basically half of the regular season. In my mind they have to prove it in region 4 before you start to say they can beat teams like Cuero, Navarro, Sinton, and Wimberely...

(Although they have already beaten cuero)

Dawgs
09-20-2016, 04:21 PM
I know Argyle is highly ranked in all the polls, but do we know how good they are yet? Obviously recent history will tell us they are more than likely a top 10 team, but I don't see where they have proven it yet. Lovejoy is 1-3, La Grange just got blown out, and Celina is way down from where they were last year. Not at all saying Argyle is not good. Just not sure if they have proven it yet this season. I think the AW game would have shown a lot about both teams.

d0tc0m
09-20-2016, 04:41 PM
I know Argyle is highly ranked in all the polls, but do we know how good they are yet? Obviously recent history will tell us they are more than likely a top 10 team, but I don't see where they have proven it yet. Lovejoy is 1-3, La Grange just got blown out, and Celina is way down from where they were last year. Not at all saying Argyle is not good. Just not sure if they have proven it yet this season. I think the AW game would have shown a lot about both teams.

That game probably would've said a lot for sure. But I think this Argyle team is better than last year. Or, at least, they will be by the time the postseason rolls around.

d0tc0m
09-20-2016, 04:42 PM
And I tell ya, after watching the Carthage/Gilmer film ... it's going to take a special team playing a whale of a game to beat Carthage. The Dawgs are as real as they've been in quite a while.

Weebe
09-20-2016, 04:43 PM
We are in week 5! The time for talk about last year has passed.... cuero has also improved immensely since they played wharton. It took cuero a pretty long time last year to get it totally figured out, like basically half of the regular season. In my mind they have to prove it in region 4 before you start to say they can beat teams like Cuero, Navarro, Sinton, and Wimberely...

(Although they have already beaten cuero)

You act as if D2 region 4 is some sort of overwhelming gauntlet to overcome. There are what, 4 or 5 good teams in the region?

speedbump
09-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Looks like Carthage and El Campo can either meet in the 2nd round or Regional Final. Still a long way to go, but I would love to meet up with El Campo. The 2 times we have met they have been great games. Since 2007 we are 35-5 in the playoffs and 2 of those losses have come to El Campo. The other 3 losses are to La Vega, Argyle, and LH.

Be careful what you wish for Dawgs. The Birds won't be blown off the fence by any storm that didn't come from the Atlantic. If we get by Stafford we could wind up playing (and beating) Henderson,Kilgore and Carthage in weeks 2,3 and 4 of the playoffs. Now that would be fun. We have never played Henderson so that would be a great place to start.

SaltySixes
09-20-2016, 04:50 PM
You act as if D2 region 4 is some sort of overwhelming gauntlet to overcome. There are what, 4 or 5 good teams in the region?

Yep and those are the 4 or 5 that were talking about?

speedbump
09-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Yep and those are the 4 or 5 that were talking about?

So which one should be the favorite?

slingshot
09-20-2016, 05:13 PM
That game probably would've said a lot for sure. But I think this Argyle team is better than last year. Or, at least, they will be by the time the postseason rolls around.Argyle is always good. As for Wylie, I think our defense is possibly better than last year (which was pretty darned good). Offense is coming around and now that we have everyone playing where they should we just need reps. Overall have more speed and better backfield than last year, hopefully receiving corps will continue to improve. One interesting thing about this team--we have enough speed at the skill positions to take it to the house on any play. Having big play potential is nice...

SaltySixes
09-20-2016, 05:37 PM
So which one should be the favorite?

I would love to say Navarro, but I think untill someone beats Cuero in the playoffs, It has to be the gobblers.

toddg
09-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Be careful what you wish for Dawgs. The Birds won't be blown off the fence by any storm that didn't come from the Atlantic. If we get by Stafford we could wind up playing (and beating) Henderson,Kilgore and Carthage in weeks 2,3 and 4 of the playoffs. Now that would be fun. We have never played Henderson so that would be a great place to start.
stink on stink, low man wins!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-20-2016, 06:27 PM

Nice answer, but lets get real here, until China Spring comes down to the Valley to play La Feria and the CS fans decide to spend the weekend on South Padre because "why the hell not we're already down here", I won't believe it.

lostaussie
09-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Looks like R4 is the place to be........this could get fun:D
Carry on

Dawgs
09-20-2016, 08:17 PM
You won't find me talking any storms. But this is not the year for any Carthage fans to be running our mouth. Don't need to say anything. If I was a fan of any team in D1, I would take a look at the Gilmer Carthage game. It should be posted on Youtube in its entirety tomorrow. This Carthage team doesn't need any of us bragging them up or trying to convince other people they are good. These are bad, bad boys and they know it. We will play Henderson next week, and they are very good. We will see what happens. Should be a very interesting game to say the least. Carthage played LE when they were top 10 in the polls, and had them down 28-0. Carthage played Gilmer when they were top 3 in the polls and had them down 49-17. We meet another top 10 team next week, and we will find out what happens. As for El Campo running the gauntlet you mentioned above that would be quite the accomplishment. But IMO there isn't a team in the state that will beat Carthage and Henderson back to back weeks. Carthage has some scores to settle. We already settled one with the Buckeyes. I would love to see this team get a chance to settle it with the Ricebirds and the Pirates.

Dawgs
09-20-2016, 08:37 PM
And I tell ya, after watching the Carthage/Gilmer film ... it's going to take a special team playing a whale of a game to beat Carthage. The Dawgs are as real as they've been in quite a while.
As real as they have ever been this early in the season. We have one more challenge before the playoffs, and that is this week against very impressive Henderson team. This was ETSN.fm game of the year. This will be for the district crown even though its the Dawgs 1st district game.

d0tc0m
09-20-2016, 08:51 PM
As real as they have ever been this early in the season. We have one more challenge before the playoffs, and that is this week against very impressive Henderson team. This was ETSN.fm game of the year. This will be for the district crown even though its the Dawgs 1st district game.

It's going to be an exciting week for these two teams, for sure. But it's a shame this isn't a week 10 (or 11, or whatever it is now) matchup.

44INAROW
09-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Looks like R4 is the place to be........this could get fun:D
Carry on

I've been telling you...pick a weekend/game and Come on down.. We hunt and even have some fishin holes too. Oh, turkey season is CLOSED until Jan 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eagle Nation
09-20-2016, 10:21 PM
With the way the district are, there is the possibly of the first meeting of the Yellowjackets vs Eagles in Reg 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d0tc0m
09-21-2016, 07:47 AM
With the way the district are, there is the possibly of the first meeting of the Yellowjackets vs Eagles in Reg 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'd be an ugly game. There are years past where it would've been a fantastic matchup. This won't be one of those years.

speedbump
09-21-2016, 09:46 AM

This is the game I'll be interested in. So far beating what are easily two of the worst defensive teams in 4A and a 10 point win over a so-so 30 point underdog haven't impressed me much. A win here would.

lostaussie
09-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Carthage is gonna roll Henderson.......write it down!!!!

And not because they beat us........ because I know:D

Dawgs
09-21-2016, 10:51 AM
This is the game I'll be interested in. So far beating what are easily two of the worst defensive teams in 4A and a 10 point win over a so-so 30 point underdog haven't impressed me much. A win here would.

Ok. Like I said no need to hoot and holler about this team this year. We will see what happens this week. But regardless to what happens this Carthage team is gonna be there very late in the season.

Dawgs
09-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Carthage is gonna roll Henderson.......write it down!!!!

And not because they beat us........ because I know:D

We got the Jimmies and Joes, and Surratt has 2 weeks to figure out the Xs and Os. Buncha people will be picking against Carthage this week, cause they hope they are not as good as they look early in the season.

d0tc0m
09-21-2016, 10:55 AM

LE and Gilmer aren't even close to easily being the two worst defensive teams in 4A. Come on now, speedbump.

Dawgs
09-21-2016, 10:57 AM
LE and Gilmer aren't even close to easily being the two worst defensive teams in 4A. Come on now, speedbump.

Lol. Maybe he meant of all the ranked teams or top teir teams.

speedbump
09-21-2016, 11:36 AM

Yes they are. 174 and 150 points allowed in 4 games. Thats what the worst defensive teams do.

lostaussie
09-21-2016, 12:05 PM
We continually get thumped on by the haters....but there we will be .......... playing football on Thanksgiving or later. They lots of folks that just wish they could be as bad as us:D

d0tc0m
09-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Yes they are. 174 and 150 points allowed in 4 games. Thats what the worst defensive teams do.

I guess we have different understandings of the meaning of the word 'worst.' And some people live in a perpetual state of hyperbole.

Dawgs
09-21-2016, 12:27 PM
We continually get thumped on by the haters....but there we will be .......... playing football on Thanksgiving or later. They lots of folks that just wish they could be as bad as us:D

Yea it's tough being as good as Gilmer. People just waiting on you to get beat. But they usually have to wait a long time for the Buckeyes. Welcome to a Carthage fan life on message boards. Get beat and their are a buncha people waiting to say you are done. But then all of the sudden it Thanksgiving and your team is still playing...funny how that works.

Gilmer overrated and Carthage hasn't played anybody. But both will be playing ball in December. Hmmm...

Dawgs
09-21-2016, 12:30 PM
I guess we have different understandings of the meaning of the word 'worst.' And some people live in a perpetual state of hyperbole.

Let him reach if he wants to. In the case of LE they have played by far the toughest schedule of anybody in the state. They played 2 of, if not the 2 best offensive teams in the state in Carthage and Gilmer. Played a dang good ATL team, and a ranked 5a team with 2.5 times their enrollment. In Gilmers case they have only given up big points to Carthage and LE. That's nothing to hang their head about. But whatever people wanna think. Like I said Gilmer way overrated and Carthage hasn't played anybody. Nothing to see here. Just move along.

waterboy
09-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Hard to pick this early, save about 3 teams that will be there for sure, in my opinion, but here goes:

Division 1
R1 - Argyle
R2 - Van / Alvarado
R3 - Carthage
R4 - China Spring / La Vega

Division 2
R1 - Sweetwater / Krum
R2 - Gilmer / Gladewater
R3 - WO-S
R4 - Cuero / Navarro

Dawgs
09-21-2016, 02:24 PM
In D1 there is so many good teams. That's one of the reasons I was asking about Argyle. I think region 1 and 4 are 2 team races at this point in the season with Argyle and AW in region1 and CS and WLV in region 4. Region 2 and 3 are much more jumbled up. In Region 2 you have Alvarado, Van, Terrell, Kaufman, Kennedale, and LE. I am sure I'm missing somebody. But any of those teams have a shot on any given Friday night. Region 3 is a buncha heavy hitters. Even though I believe Carthage has the most impressive resume so far, you have El Campo, Henderson, and Stafford who all look for real. This is the most talent and parity in 4a D1 that I can ever remember.

Tejastrue
09-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Texans are laying low until the smoke clears...

WOS87
09-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Looks to me like the current favorites are the usual suspects yet again this season with Navarro and some Region II teams making potential breakthroughs. The above table was compiled before the Semis last season which is why 2015 shows the final eight all in green.

Updated through the 2015 Week before the Semifinals

State Champions
State Finalists
State Semifinalists
State Quarterfinalists

http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=969&d=1449521081

ECBirdFan
09-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Here is my opinion! Take it for what it is worth!!

Division 1

Region 1 Argyle
Region 2 Alvarado
Region 3 El Campo (Homer vote)
Region 4 La Vega

Division 2

Region 1 Sweetwater
Region 2 Gilmer
Region 3 West Orange Stark
Region 4 Cuero

After watching Wharton if they get it all going they could give Cuero a run.
Carthage people don't get mad. El Campo is 2-0 against you in the near past. That is why I put El Campo there and not Carthage. I would love to see that game again this year.

Cam
09-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Texans are laying low until the smoke clears...

......:smoker:......

SintonFan_inAustin
09-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Looks to me like the current favorites are the usual suspects yet again this season with Navarro and some Region II teams making potential breakthroughs. The above table was compiled before the Semis last season which is why 2015 shows the final eight all in green.

Updated through the 2015 Week before the Semifinals

State Champions
State Finalists
State Semifinalists
State Quarterfinalists
http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=969&d=1449521081pretty similar run for Sinton when they went to R4 championship 5 straight yeas going 1-4 but a state finalist in that win. 3 straight right now to R4 title game and 2-1, if they can get there this season they will return a lot players next year. 9 Region IV title games since 2000 3-6 in those games.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-23-2016, 01:45 PM
Texans are laying low until the smoke clears...Would be pretty amazing if Sinton/Wimberley and Cuero/Navarro matchups for 3rd straight year in playoffs.

SaltySixes
09-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Would be pretty amazing if Sinton/Wimberley and Cuero/Navarro matchups for 3rd straight year in playoffs.

It would be crazy!... that being said, its still my prediction.

cowboyandchrist
09-23-2016, 09:18 PM
I read be careful what you wish for Dawgs. I fully expect to see the Rice Birds face the Dawgs in the playoffs. The storm of 2016 is coming from the East again, just letting you know. This Dawg team is loaded on both sides of the ball. They run and pass equally well for over 200 yards each and the D stops both the run and the pass. Oh ya, the storm is coming.