PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts - Columbia-LaMarque Game Story

Scoop27
09-17-2016, 01:02 PM
WEST COLUMBIA — Big plays on offense supported a stiff defense as the Columbia Roughnecks registered a historic victory over La Marque, 28-14, Friday night at Griggs Field.

It was Columbia’s first win against the Cougars, a five-time state champion, since a 38-27 victory in 1956.

“It was a big win,” Columbia coach Brent Mascheck said. “To beat a quality program like that, I think it builds some confidence with our kids. It’s a great win leading into district.”

The Roughnecks found it hard to move the ball at times against the La Marque defense. They had only 269 total yards of offense.

The Cougars had equal trouble against a Columbia defense that consistently rose to the occasion, limiting La Marque to 287 total yards and picking up two turnovers. The Roughnecks were especially stout in the second half when the Cougars mustered just 132 yards, the majority on an 83-yard touchdown drive late in the game with Columbia already leading 28-7.

Defensive lineman Zicias Wiggins had an interception and linebacker Dylan Harris recovered a fumble for the Roughneck defense.

“I thought our defense played outstanding,” Mascheck said. “My hats off to the defensive staff and our defensive players. It’s unbelievable how well they are playing. We kind of based this whole thing on defense, and they are playing great right now.”

The Roughnecks trailed 7-6 late in the first half, but a big play on offense helped get them into position to take the lead late in second quarter.

Tight end Julian Kay was wide open down the middle of the field and quarterback Josh Jimenez delivered a strike to him for a 66-yard gain down to the Cougar 10.

“Teams are really stacking the line against us,” Mascheck said. “We really want to use Kay in the passing game. We kind of had that set up. The other assistant coaches said it was wide open and it was wide open.”

With 5 seconds left, Columbia running back Saylaion Dunlap scored from 2 yards out to put Columbia up, 13-7.

Two more big plays on offense in the third quarter made a tight game more comfortable for the Roughnecks.

On Columbia’s first possession of the second half, quarterback Michael Carlson ran right up the middle through the Cougar defense on a 43-yard touchdown run with 9:18 left in the third. Kameron Rhodes scored the two-point conversion to put the Roughnecks up, 21-7.

After Harris’ fumble recovery at the La Marque 43, the ’Necks went on a 57-yard touchdown drive that was capped by a 31-yard touchdown run by Keithan Taylor with 11:51 left in the game.

Columbia’s offense couldn’t get much going early. Karch Kaspar accounted for Columbia’s scoring early as he kicked a 38-yard field goal with 4:32 left in the first quarter to give the Roughnecks a 3-0 lead.

La Marque (3-1) responded with 2:35 left in the first quarter when Kordel Stewart caught a 30-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Myles Launius to help put the Cougars on top 7-3.

De’Marco Guidry, who rushed for 160 yards for the Cougars, had a 57-yard run on the drive to give La Marque the lead. Launius scored La Marque’s other touchdown on a 1-yard plunge in the fourth quarter.

In the second quarter, Kaspar kicked a 47-yard field goal with 6:08 left in the first half to get the Roughnecks within a point.

The victory raises Columbia’s record to 3-1 as the ’Necks get ready to face El Campo in their District 12-4A Division I opener next week.

“We’ve been saying since Day 1 we want to be peaking at the right time,” Mascheck said. “I think we are peaking right now.”