PDA

View Full Version : 5a pl calhoun @ liberty hill

LHPfactory
09-11-2016, 08:41 PM
I was hoping that PL Calhoun was going to be 3-0 going into this game but they are 0-3. Granted losses came from a close one with the 6A Brazoswood Bucs and what I believe is one of the top teams in 4A, El Campo.

LH better be ready to play, God Gave us some good breaks last week, along with some amazing plays by our boys.
The Sandcrabs will be hungry for their first win.

What say you?

Scoop27
09-11-2016, 09:01 PM
LH will rely on home field advantage

Weebe
09-12-2016, 12:39 AM
LH by 21.

panfan
09-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Lots of momentum coming off of last week's win - LH by 2 tds if not more.

speedbump
09-12-2016, 02:37 PM
If LH can throw a little they should have no problem. If they can't,the Crabs may keep it closer than most folks think.

LHAG
09-15-2016, 08:40 AM
LH by 21.

From your lips to God's ears!

bird_fan
09-15-2016, 12:24 PM
another fast game for two teams who rarely throw the ball Liberty Hill takes this one

Super_R
09-16-2016, 12:46 PM
LH will improve to 3-0

solocam
09-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Panthers by 17

Old Green
09-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Halftime

Liberty Hill 9
Pt. Lavaca Calhoun 6

Bosqueville
09-17-2016, 12:21 AM
This final score made me say hmmm...

Weebe
09-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Calhoun won?

***?

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2016, 08:21 AM
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2016/sep/17/defense-leads-calhoun-in-win-over-liberty-hill/

Defense leads Calhoun in win over Liberty Hill

By BY JEREMY SHAPIRO - SPECIAL TO THE ADVOCATE
Sept. 17, 2016 at 1 a.m.
Updated Sept. 17, 2016 at 6 a.m.

LIBERTY HILL - After exclusively defending the run for almost three quarters, Liberty Hill quarterback Garrett Wright rolled out to pass with his team trailing Calhoun by one point in the third quarter Friday night.

Calhoun defensive back Noah Bonuz was prepared for this occurrence. Bonuz stepped in front of the receiver to intercept the ball, giving the Sandcrabs the ball at the Panthers 32.

The offense cashed in two minutes later when quarterback Justin Flores scored on a 2-yard run to stretch Calhoun's lead to eight. The Sandcrabs (1-3) added another score in the fourth quarter to wrap up the 26-12 win.

"That was a huge turnover for us, and as soon as we got it, you could tell the offense wanted it bad," said Calhoun coach Richard Whitaker. "They went out and stuck it in the end zone. That's what you have to do. When you gain that momentum, you have to maintain it and get something good out of it."

Calhoun entered the game on a seven-game losing streak dating back to last season. Facing the No. 8 team in Class 4A, the Sandcrabs turned up the defensive intensity and limited mistakes. For the first time this season, Calhoun didn't lose a fumble. In addition, the Sandcrabs only had 10 yards in penalties.

"Tonight was a complete game," Whitaker said. "Coach (Cory) McFall did a great job getting our kids prepared on defense, and we played hard. You have to be so disciplined when you play a team like this. I thought our guys did a great job reading their keys."

Liberty Hill (2-1) did not complete a pass in the game and averaged 3.7 yards a carry. The Sandcrab defense got an early stop inside its own 10, when the Panthers failed to convert on a fourth-and-two run.

"We had a good defensive scheme," Bonuz said. "We read the guards, and it usually took us to the ball."

Calhoun opened the scoring with 8:55 left in the second quarter on a 33-yard run by Flores. The extra point was blocked and ran back the other way by David Allman to make it a 6-2 lead.

The Panthers added a touchdown right before halftime on a 1-yard run by Justin Burkett and extended the lead to 12-6 on a 27-yard field goal from Michael Shipley midway through the third quarter.

After missing some reads early in the game, Flores made the right call in the third quarter when he pitched outside to Isaiah Falcon. The senior only had to get past one defender on his way to a 24-yard touchdown that gave Calhoun a 13-12 lead.

"Tonight, I started off kind of bad," Flores said. "I had to get the feel of the game. As soon as I did, I made the right reads."

With a 20-12 lead heading into the fourth quarter, Calhoun's defense dug in to force a three-and-out on one possession and only gave up 11 yards on the next possession. Liberty Hill punted both times.

A 27-yard touchdown run by Dustin Jackson with 1:31 left put Calhoun up by two scores. It was Jackson's third touchdown on the season on 18 carries.

The timing of the win was critical because Calhoun opens district play in one week at Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated.

The team traveled 194 miles to get to Liberty Hill and were not in the mood to mull over another setback on the journey home.

"After the El Campo loss, we were talking to our kids," Whitaker said. "One of our linemen said, 'it's hard to sustain confidence when you are not winning.' Now, our players should have confidence, and can come out and prepare every day."

1st and goal
09-17-2016, 08:56 AM
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2016/sep/17/defense-leads-calhoun-in-win-over-liberty-hill/

"Liberty Hill (2-1) did not complete a pass in the game "

Ouch!

AP2364
09-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Ouch!

Congrats to the Sandcrabs. They played a great game. The game plan they used is proving to be the way to stop LH. Put at least 9 within 3 yards of the ball. LH coaches prove that they are not going to learn from experience and return to the offense that got them 2 state championships. That offense was unpredictable. Even though there were few passes you never knew when it was coming and would generally be for a big gain. The LH offense is predictable now. The interception was as predictable as the first as all of the runs before that play. Sit back and wait until LH has 3rd or 4th and long and play catch. Sadly the tougher the game the more predictable. LH will not be going deep in the playoffs this year without some changes.