PDA

View Full Version : Argyle @ Wylie... Let's get it started!

slingshot
09-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Here we go again! Rematch of the Region I/II DI Semifinals from last year. Was a great game--Wylie led at the half 17-14, Argyle tied it in the 3rd and won it with a touchdown with 56 seconds to go 24-17. Different teams this year, both with key injuries to overcome, both well coached and disciplined, both tradition-rich proud programs in all sports and academics.

The games are always tough, clean and hard fought. Very little smack talk--just hard nosed football. Argyle will hit you in mouth then help you up after the play--Wylie does the same. Both programs are reflections of their head coaches. Have nothing but respect for Argyle.

OK--enough with the pleasantries! Who you got?

regaleagle
09-10-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm sure everybody in Wylieland will be ready for the rumble come Friday night. It ain't gonna be easy winning over there in that atmosphere.....especially after Wylie's win over Denison and this being the 4th week. It was different when Argyle vs Wylie was the first or 2nd game of the season.....but not the 4th. And it's different when you're playing for all the marbles late season in the playoffs and everybody's had all season to come together. So I don't know what to expect in this one from them WylieDawgs......except they got plenty of reasons to put the whuppin' on my Eagles!

Wayne
09-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Gotta go with Argyle. I'm impressed with the way this young group of kids are starting to gel.

briandumith*
09-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Two D1 teams I really liike.. I think Argyle wins.. Seems to be a bit of a down year "so far" for the bulldogs.. But never count them out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bosqueville
09-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Argyle by 28.

regaleagle
09-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Argyle's Soph. QB Hayden Clearman.....13-18-0, 240 yds. Actually, this stat included Braden Pruett's numbers also......the junior back-up before Clearman was elevated from the JV squad. Against Celina Argyle rushed for 108 yds, but some of the shorter passes got lots of YAC as they were designed to do. Gilmer does this all the time.....hits you short and hits you long. I haven't seen Argyle play yet.....just listened and followed with my play-by-play. But it sounds like there's some quickness on this team on both sides of the ball with some skill players that are dangerous in the open field. Kicking game looks like it's finally coming around.....field position was a huge factor in the Celina game, thanks to not only the defense but also the kicking game.

regaleagle
09-11-2016, 11:17 AM
This game against a very good Wylie defensive unit will tell much about Argyle's offense. The Celina offensive line averaged 290 across it, but was not able to dominate the Eagles defensive front and open the needed holes for Franklin......their speed burner talented RB. He did get loose against the 2nd teamers on a screen and went the distance 72 yds. The score was 36-0 before Celina scored late in the 3rd quarter.

slingshot
09-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Argyle will be solid on both sides of the ball. The fun thing to watch in this one will be strength against strength--the Argyle O-line against the Wylie D-line and Linebackers. Also curious how your QB will do with a top notch defense. Our offense really struggled to move the ball and get out of it's own way against Vernon, moved the ball well but couldn't stop the turnovers against a very big and physical 5A DI Monterey team. They clicked much better against 5A Denison... I think we'll give Argyle a very stern test. Honestly don't see either team winning by 28 points though...

Tejastrue
09-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Didn't the La Grange defense tell you something?

regaleagle
09-11-2016, 12:13 PM
I guess most all fans of this game will agree that Wylie's defense will be one of the toughest for Argyle to face all year. There's just no way to expect anything except a battle in the trenches. Not sure how the Soph.QB will perform against such a quality defense that has played an equally tough predistrict schedule. Thank goodness for the Argyle O-Line or the Eagles would be in big trouble without Ledford behind center. I look for Argyle's defensive unit to be very tough to score on. Again, Argyle's kicking game is coming around quickly and could prove to be a big factor in this one.

regaleagle
09-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Hey Slingshot......what kind of kicking game does Wylie have this year? Do you guys have an accurate field goal kicker with distance? And what about your kickoff team......can the kicker put it deep for touchbacks?

slingshot
09-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Kicking game OK... not great. You will have the advantage there.

Wayne
09-12-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm really surprised there is not a lot of chatter about this game yet. I'm so freaking excited I can't wait for Friday night. With the way these two teams battle each other every time they play, this game is going to have a playoff atmosphere to it.

slingshot
09-12-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm really surprised there is not a lot of chatter about this game yet. I'm so freaking excited I can't wait for Friday night. With the way these two teams battle each other every time they play, this game is going to have a playoff atmosphere to it. Totally agree. Playoff atmosphere in week 4--gotta love it!

regaleagle
09-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Don't expect a huge crowd on the Argyle side.....just sayin'. For some reason those that don't have kids participating in some form don't travel much. They do show up for the home games, but if their kids are already graduated or too young.....they just don't attend out of town games much. Not unless it's to Sanger, Decatur, Celina.....something closeby.

Bosqueville
09-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Or for a lopsided game...

slingshot
09-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Or for a lopsided game......or they have no clue. ��

briandumith*
09-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Yeah I don't think either team will runaway with it. Wylie's D is alway badass. That will keep things in check for sure..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bosqueville
09-12-2016, 07:41 PM
...or they have no clue. ��

Lol.. I couldn't help myself

Eagle Nation
09-12-2016, 10:17 PM
I think first one to 20 wins the game and that is if either team can score 20. The final will probably be 14-10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slingshot
09-12-2016, 11:08 PM
I think first one to 20 wins the game and that is if either team can score 20. The final will probably be 14-10.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkQuite possible. Both teams have elite defenses.

regaleagle
09-12-2016, 11:19 PM
A win in this game for Wylie would probably mean more for them than it would for Argyle.....seasonwise. Still.....Argyle don't like losing to anybody, but I don't think a loss here would do anything but give the Eagles more resolve to work even harder. There's some youth on this team, so we're gonna find out this week how they perform in a hostile environment against what I believe is a very quality team. This game will most probably be the best opponent for Argyle until about 3rd round of the playoffs. Decatur and Sanger are in our district this year and should provide some quality competition also.

slingshot
09-13-2016, 12:51 AM
A win in this game for Wylie would probably mean more for them than it would for Argyle.....seasonwise. Still.....Argyle don't like losing to anybody, but I don't think a loss here would do anything but give the Eagles more resolve to work even harder. There's some youth on this team, so we're gonna find out this week how they perform in a hostile environment against what I believe is a very quality team. This game will most probably be the best opponent for Argyle until about 3rd round of the playoffs. Decatur and Sanger are in our district this year and should provide some quality competition also.Same here. I honestly don't think Wylie will be seriously challenged (no offense Brownwood and Stephenville) again until the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs (probably a rematch with Argyle).

slingshot
09-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Same here. I honestly don't think Wylie will be seriously challenged (no offense Brownwood and Stephenville) again until the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs (probably a rematch with Argyle)....of course that bravado is dependent on avoiding key injuries. One or two season ending injuries and we could easily fall back to the pack. Think most teams are in the same situation.

nobogey72
09-15-2016, 02:34 PM
I heard Argyle's QB has sat out a couple of games. Is he back healthy and ready to play this week?? I'm thinking that he should probably wait one more week.:)

slingshot
09-15-2016, 03:14 PM
I heard Argyle's QB has sat out a couple of games. Is he back healthy and ready to play this week?? I'm thinking that he should probably wait one more week.:)Has not seemed to matter--their backup is plenty good...

nobogey72
09-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Has not seemed to matter--their backup is plenty good...

Yeah I know !!!! BUT, he is a soph. and not a returning starter like Dane.

Wayne
09-15-2016, 04:15 PM
I've been told that he won't be back until first week in Oct. Probably be back by district.

slingshot
09-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Random thoughts...
You play teams like Argyle to find out where you are football-wise--they WILL expose your weaknesses and show you what you need to work on. Sure, it would look great to play cupcakes and build up a gaudy regular season record to crow about (cough *Sweetwater* cough)... then get crushed by the first elite team you meet in the playoffs. I like how Coach Sandifer always seems to play really tough predistrict opponents. That's how you get better. We may not always win every tough playoff game we play but we win lots of them and we'll never be intimidated by anyone after our predistrict gauntlet.

slingshot
09-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Consensus on here seems to be we'll get blown out by Argyle. Even our local newspaper sportswriters unanimously chose Argyle. They are indeed loaded with talent (aren't they always?). My rational brain (no comments here... :crazy: ) tells me they will win.... BUT, my gut tells me we have a legitimate chance to win this game. Our defense is VERY good, our offense has improved every week and played very well last week against Denison, our coaching staff is great (that is not intended to take anything away from Coach Rogers and his staff... probably the best in the state) and most of all our seniors feel they have 'unfinished business' from last year. They want this one bad...

Wylie 21 -- Argyle 17

Pudlugger
09-15-2016, 05:49 PM
This should be a good game for the Eagles to establish their creds as a top 4a team along with WOS. I think the Wylie defense will keep it close but the big o line of the Eagles will wear down the defense and they will pull ahead mid third quarter. Argyle 24-14.

Wayne
09-16-2016, 07:17 AM
This day couldn't get here fast enough. Can't wait for for kickoff. I feel this game will be somewhat closer than if Leadford was under center for the Eagles. I still believe the Eagles will pull out the W even with the Soph QB leading the offense. I also believe this young Eagles team is a lot better than some homers give them credit. I've seen every game this year and they keep getting better and better without the Big Name play makers. I look for the Eagles D to make some big stops and create some huge turnovers. Eagles by 14

slingshot
09-16-2016, 08:46 AM
Note to all the Argyle fans traveling this way: Leave early and be careful! We have had several inches of rain the last couple of days and the forecast is for more thunderstorms and rain tonight... bring your rain gear.
If you need restaurant recommendations--Copper Creek is very good (try the salmon and have it blackened), Al's or Betty Rose BBQ are tops, if you just want a good ole' fat, juicy hamburger try Heff's--there is a new location on Antilley Road near Abilene Regional Medical Center not far from the stadium (similar to Kincaid's).

Go 'Dawgs!!!

regaleagle
09-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Big day today for all the players from both teams. Both of these schools are highly competitive in all 4A sports......so the whole student body rocks on Gameday. It starts when they wake up in the morning and builds all day long until kickoff. This is how it is at schools like Argyle and Wylie......tons of tradition to uphold and the whole school supporting the team. Rain or shine......Argyle will come to win. GO GET EM EAGLES!!!!

ccmom
09-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Can't wait! Go Dawgs!

Dawgs
09-16-2016, 03:56 PM
When was the last time AW beat Argyle? I think AW is due a win. Gimme AW in a very close one.

Aguilafanatico
09-16-2016, 04:11 PM
When was the last time AW beat Argyle? I think AW is due a win. Gimme AW in a very close one.

2012 at Argyle.

regaleagle
09-16-2016, 06:54 PM
Well.....it's Friday afternoon and I'm sittin' here in my house in San Antonio with my blender of margaritas, hahaha. Pregame show coming up soon on the Argyle Broadcast Network via sportsgram. net for all you fans that want to tune in. Just hit the Listen Live button starting at 7 pm. Naturally.....I'll be here listening live and posting the play by play as quickly and accurately as I hear it(from the Argyle broadcast team). Sometimes the info is not exactly correct, but most of the stuff is close enough to give the viewers a pretty good synopsis of the plays and how the game is going. Time to go get a refill.....it was a prosperous day and a prosperous week for me.....time to kick back and get into some Texas High School Football!!! :1popcorn:

wyliefan
09-16-2016, 06:55 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160916/10313666c7c6852b2898ce6afbd34f15.jpg

Weather moving into the Abilene area. Doesn't look good for kickoff

ccmom
09-16-2016, 07:05 PM
Drink another one...gonna be a while!

regaleagle
09-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Under a lightning delay in Abilene. Everytime there's a lightning strike a new 30 minute delay is put into place. It is raining now......could blow over eventually. I'm going to the radar to look at it and see how big this system looks to be.

ccmom
09-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Under a lightning delay in Abilene. Everytime there's a lightning strike a new 30 minute delay is put into place. It is raining now......could blow over eventually. I'm going to the radar to look at it and see how big this system looks to be.

Scroll up and you'll see it lol

regaleagle
09-16-2016, 07:18 PM
That's a big 'ol system moving thru.....but it looks like once it moves thru there's nothing behind it but clear skies. These types of fronts usually move fairly quickly and should be thru the area within another 1-1.5 hrs. Look for kickoff to occur about 8:30 to 9 pm, depending on how fast this system is moving.

ccmom
09-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Game cancelled and won't be made up. Safe travels home to Argyle.

Eagle Nation
09-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Game has been cancelled

wyliefan
09-16-2016, 08:36 PM
Game has been cancelled. Safe travels home for the Argyle team and supporters.

regaleagle
09-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Each team gets a pass this week......probably not what the coaching staffs wanted.

lostaussie
09-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Well this sucks for a game.......most important thing is kids. Travel safely

Pudlugger
09-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Really too bad I know how much the fans and players wanted this game believe me we at La Grange understand. Good luck to both teams. Safety First