PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts Brazosport-New Caney Porter Game Story

Scoop27
09-03-2016, 08:11 AM
NEW CANEY — Trailing by seven with less than two minutes remaining in the game, the Brazosport Exporters had a chance to force overtime following a missed field goal by host New Caney Porter. Like a few other instances Friday night, however, Brazosport could not capitalize.

Sophomore quarterback Jermaine Ellis, who stepped into the starting role prior to the season after a shoulder injury to Jarvis Davis, led the Ships deep into Spartan territory late in the fourth quarter. Showing his youth, Ellis made a crucial mistake that ended the comeback.

Porter defensive back Tyler Crochet stepped in front of an Ellis throw and returned the interception 70 yards for a touchdown to seal a 28-14 win for the Spartans (1-0) at Texan Drive Stadium.

“We had a chance to win it at the end with the ball in our hands,” fifth-year Brazosport coach Ben Rudolph said. “Sometimes when you play with a sophomore quarterback and we’re making throws all over the field, it’s going to happen. But we’re going to ride, win and lose as a team. We’re going to go together.”

Early in the game, it did not look as if the Ships (1-1) would even be that close. Porter jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first six minutes and maintained a two-touchdown advantage at halftime. The Spartans held Brazosport to 72 yards of offense in the first half and took a 21-7 lead into the locker room.

Porter limited Ameer King, who had 300 all-purpose yards in the Ships’ victory over Houston Worthing in the season opener, to 44 yards of offense in the first two quarters.

Brazosport hurt its cause with a slew of penalties. A week after racking up 135 yards in flags, the Ships committed five penalties in the first half, including a holding infraction that negated a 33-yard passing touchdown.

Rudolph said there were other issues that factored into the team’s slow start.

“We’ve got to clean up our issues during the week of practice,” he said. “This is a good learning example for us that we can take back and apply later. This game does not affect our overall goals for the season. Yes, we’re wanting to sharpen our axe, but this doesn’t affect the overall picture.”

Following halftime, however, Rudolph said his team played with the focus and attitude needed to compete with its Class 5A opponent.

“I’m proud of them because they did exactly what I wanted them to in the second half,” he said. “I felt like in the first half we were flat and played on our heels too much. I said, ‘I want you to get up on your toes, get excited, make some plays, and then let plays build into others.’ I thought they did a really nice job of responding.”

The Ships forced four punts and kept the Spartans offense off the scoreboard in the last 24 minutes.

Ellis pulled Brazosport within 21-14 with a 4-yard touchdown keeper five minutes into the third quarter. However, the Ships could not sustain a drive the rest of the game and committed two turnovers.

Rudolph said he hopes the Ships can put together a complete game similar to what he saw in the second half. With another road test next week at Cleveland, the coach said Brazosport will continue to tune up for its district schedule.

“You can’t shoot yourself in the foot on the road against a good 5A ball club and win,” Rudolph said