PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts-Columbia-Sweeny Preview Story

Scoop27
08-25-2016, 03:16 PM
WEST COLUMBIA — For the 64th consecutive season, the Sweeny Bulldogs will take on Columbia in The Battle of the Brazos.

Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Griggs Field and the stands are expected to be pretty packed on both sides.

The Roughnecks lead the all-time series 34-29-1 and have won the last two meetings (27-14, 16-6).

A new coaching era starts in both places as Brent Mascheck takes over the Roughnecks and former Columbia coach Randy Lynch is at the helm in Sweeny.

Mascheck has laid the law down as far as this rivalry game is concerned.

“I told the kids, that this is for all of the people outside of this game, our job is to be focused on the task at hand,” he said. “And our task is to beat a good Sweeny team and our focus is on the game. I told the kids to stay off the social media stuff, and we know there is a lot of stuff being said and for good reason, it is a rivalry game. Our biggest challenge this week is being prepared for a good Sweeny team.”

Out of all previous meetings, 15 of them were season openers, with the last one happening in 1991, with Columbia prevailing 21-12. The Roughnecks lead the season openers 8-7-1.

So this meeting could be an advantage for Lynch, who knows a majority of these Roughneck players and coaches.

“I’ve known those kids for the past six years and I know them and what positions they are playing, but they will be ready to go and so will our kids,” Lynch said.

“It is one of those things where they know us we know them. I worked with some of their guys on their staff the last six years, so they know where our tendencies are.”

Columbia returns a quality backfield with the likes of Saylaion Dunlap (790 yards, 9 TDs) and Keithan Taylor (41-512 yards, 4 TDs).

Both are versatile and can come out of the backfield to make some catches as well.

Senior Josh JImenez (32-62, 569 yards, 5 TDs, 3 INTs) took a lot of snaps last season and could be under center when the game starts. Senior Austin Griffin and juniors Jarrett Brown and Michael Carlson also could see some playing time under center.

Dunlap (7-109, TD) is the returning pass catcher for the ’Necks.

“Defensively we have to try to stop the third downs because they have some explosive players over there,” Lynch said.

On defense Columbia will utilize a 4-2-5 with safety Chandler Cook (75 tackles) now the leader of that group after linebacker after James McLaren (109 tackles) went down with a broken ankle in training camp.

“Offensively, we cannot have any turnovers and we must execute well,” Lynch said. “But I am sure it is going to be a typicial Sweeny/Columbia game given the rivalry that it is.”

Sweeny has some key players of its own including, senior quarterback Evan Green (123-220, 1,522 yards, 21 TDs, 8 INTs; 92-400 rushing, 4 TDs).

“They throw the ball real well and have some big time playing ability in the backfield. Their quarterback is a dual-threat and their running backs are fast and make big plays,” Mascheck said.

“Their passing game — against Needville in their scrimmage — they had a big pass and have the ability to make plays on you.”

If senior running back Malik Willer (88-635, 3 TDs, 7.22 per carry) can stay healthy, along with Green, the Bulldogs will run the ball aggressively.

Donovan Banks (16-250, 3 TDs) is the leading wide receiver returning but Everette Alford (5-foot-9, 160) will try to get in the mix as well.

With Lynch coming in, his big concentration has been on a Bulldog defense that gave up 476.3 yards a game including more than 400 on the ground.

“We have to do three things in this game, No. 1 play great defense and we’ve been preaching that since day one,” Mascheck said.

“The No. 2 item is we have to eliminate turnovers and create some as well. The third thing is the special teams with the kicking game; that could be huge.”

This contest will be broadcast on www.thepressboxsports.com.

Joel Luna is the sports editor of The Facts. Contact him