PDA

View Full Version : Huge Dallas Mavs Trade

jason
10-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Monday, October 20, 2003

by Graham Hays
ESPN Fantasy Games

The Deal: Boston sends Antoine Walker and Tony Delk to Dallas for Raef LaFrentz, Jiri Welsch and Chris Mills.

Would you rather watch a game between the Mavericks and Jazz, or a blue-white scrimmage with Antoine Walker, Antawn Jamison and Danny Fortson battling Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley and Steve Nash? With all due respect to the Lakers' collection of Hall of Famers, Walker's arrival in Dallas means no team can match the Mavericks' variety of scoring threats. But is a lineup that looks like a fantasy roster bad news for fantasy owners?.....

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: jason ]</small>

jason
10-20-2003, 12:09 PM
Besides Raef, I have never heard of the other two. Givin that up for one of the best players in the league, Antoine Walker, is a GREAT move for my Mavs....

JasperDog94
10-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Is this for real? I noticed the article said had a "fantasy" heading.

jason
10-20-2003, 12:16 PM
ESPN article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1642156

It's for Real...

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: jason ]</small>

JasperDog94
10-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks Jason. :)

CatsDen
10-20-2003, 12:49 PM
The Celtics must have lost their minds!? Paul Pierce's job just got a lot harder without "Employee #8".

JasperDog94
10-20-2003, 12:52 PM
This trade just widened the gap between the varsity and the jv...I mean the West and East. :p

SintonFan
10-20-2003, 12:53 PM
But with all those players now, the fantasy Mavs might not be as good. You can only do so much and Nelly likes to spread the play time around with his players.

gochargers!!
10-20-2003, 12:59 PM
Mavs win it all...

Chief Woodman
10-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I am a Mans fan (got season tickets). This is going to be intresting.

jason
10-20-2003, 01:29 PM
Chief Woodman:
I am a Mans fan (got season tickets). This is going to be intresting.you're gonna have to share some of those with fellow downlowers... :D

Chief Woodman
10-20-2003, 01:38 PM
Hey how about setting up to see the Mavs VS Spurs in big D and in SA? I am willing if a few others are.......

jason
10-20-2003, 01:39 PM
im sure that could be arranged....just set a date...

Showtime33
10-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Walker is a good player and I am glad that the Mavs got rid of Lafrentz's contract, but I have to ask the question, how much does this trade really help Dallas. True it improves the offense but the Mavs didn't need to improve their offense. I dont think Walker really helps them on defense. The reason the Celtics wanted to do this trade is because they really were not happy with Walker. He had been called by some a ball hog in Boston. The Mavs now can put 5 players out on the court that can each score about 25 points on any given night. They can also combine for 25 rebounds total. I do like the fact that the Mavs got Tony Delk in the trade, he is a good backup PG and gives the Mavs some depth in case Nash or Travis Best went down. However, it wouldnt surprise me if the Mavs are not done with making moves. Walker may be moved.

crzyjournalist03
10-20-2003, 04:22 PM
jason:
Monday, October 20, 2003

by Graham Hays
ESPN Fantasy Games

The Deal: Boston sends Antoine Walker and Tony Delk to Dallas for Raef LaFrentz, Jiri Welsch and Chris Mills.

Would you rather watch a game between the Mavericks and Jazz, or a blue-white scrimmage with Antoine Walker, Antawn Jamison and Danny Fortson battling Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley and Steve Nash? With all due respect to the Lakers' collection of Hall of Famers, Walker's arrival in Dallas means no team can match the Mavericks' variety of scoring threats. But is a lineup that looks like a fantasy roster bad news for fantasy owners?.....bad news for fantasy owners. that's why I sent you the trade proposal...sorry, but no AI for you

jason
10-20-2003, 04:24 PM
your loss

jason
10-20-2003, 07:57 PM
ttt

Comfortable Hemorrhage
10-21-2003, 12:54 AM
I generally like the trade because we got rid of Raef who did nothing when he was here, as well as his ridiculous maxed out contract, which should not have ever been done in the first place. (We bid against ourselves on that one.) I also like that we got more depth for Nash although Delk plays a little out of position at point guard.

The only negative I can find with the trade is that some of the Mavs coaches are saying this means they will use Dirk more at center. We don't need this, although he is versitile, but he needs to be in his natural position. Fortson will probably end up taking most of the minutes from Bradley at center even though he is undersized. Still a problem at center, which is the same problem many teams have.

Trade gives Mavs more players to trade in the future. Walker's cap slot is nice. Cuban proves to once again be the ultimate wheeler dealer. If any one can find a way to get a center here it's him. Minn, SA, Sac, & Lac made moves too. We'll just have to wait & see if the Mavs did enough. I still say that unless Kobie ends up going to prison the Lakers have more than enough to bring in the title.

<small>[ October 21, 2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Comfortable Hemorrhage ]</small>