View Full Version : Sweeny at Columbia

Scoop27
08-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Big Brazoria County rivalry

Roughneck93
08-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Roughnecks ready to prove themselves on field

By BUTCH McREYNOLDS Special to The Facts
Aug 19, 2016 (https://thefacts.com/users/profile/Joel%20Luna)

WEST COLUMBIA — There is a new sheriff for the Columbia Roughneck football program.

Meet Brent Mascheck, a 22-year coaching veteran who spent the past four years at Tidehaven and is ready to start the next chapter in his coaching career.

“I really enjoyed my stay at Tidehaven as head coach, but I feel very blessed to become head coach at Columbia,” Mascheck said.

His mission for Columbia football is simple: Be aggressive.

“I am going to preach returning to Roughneck football as it should be,” he said smiling. “I want not only our defense, but our entire team to go back to playing hard-nosed football. We want to be aggressive. We want to swarm to the ball on defense and we want to be physical. To me, that is Columbia Roughneck football.”

So far, what Mascheck has seen early in the Roughneck camp has been pleasing.

“We as a staff are bringing in new things every day,” he says. “But the kids have been absorbing everything very well. The attitude has been just great.”

With 23 letterwinners, including five starters on offense and six on defense, Mascheck and his staff believe they have a good group to work with.

The Roughnecks, coming off a 7-4 playoff run from a year ago, will be a part of a rugged District 12-4A, Division I, which includes El Campo, Stafford, Needville, Sealy, Bay City and Brazosport.

“El Campo appears to be the favorite, with Stafford and Sealy not far behind,” Mascheck said. “No doubt we are going to have our hands full. But right now we are going to concentrate just getting better each week and hitting our peak when district starts. We want the stout competition because we feel that makes you better.”

Mascheck, who is currently commuting to West Columbia daily from Markham, said it did not take long for him to learn about the school’s rivalry with nearby Sweeny.

“You can bet I get my ear full every day about that rivalry and I can’t wait to become a part of it, because I think such rivalries are the backbone of sports,” he said.

After the opening showdown with Sweeny, it will not get any easier for the Roughnecks as they travel to Wharton, followed by a game at Houston Kashmere and then a home game with La Marque to round out the tough non-district schedule.

While the Necks look to improve a defense that looked soft at times last year, the news was not good early in training camp as the squad’s leading tackler from a year ago, senior James McLaren, suffered a broken ankle.

“James was the mainstay of our defense, so his loss really hurts,” Mascheck said. “But while this is terrible news for our defense, we just have to have someone else step up and be ready to play.”

Mascheck expects his big defensive pair of juniors Julian Kay (6-foot-2, 210 pounds) and Jose Zaragoza (5-foot-10, 205) to anchor the defense.

“We feel good about our defensive ends and feel like they are the keys to our defense,” Mascheck said. “Kay has really come on and I expect him to continue to get better. He also has plenty of room to grow with his frame.”

The Roughnecks have several to pick from at the tackle positions, including junior Hunter Groze (6-foot, 305) and senior Zicias Wiggins (5-foot-9, 300), who are considered the early starters.

The linebackers for the Necks are senior Dylan Harris (6-foot, 190) and junior Alec Herrera (5-foot-8, 185).

The Necks are implementing a 4-2-5 defense to combat the spread teams, and Mascheck believes a hard-nosed and quick-thinking defensive backfield will also be a key to an improving unit.

Currently, that backfield is anchored by junior Jarrett Brown (5-foot-10, 165) and senior Austin Griffin (6-foot, 185) along with junior corners Jonathan Higgins (5-foot-8, 155) and Keithan Taylor. Senior Chandler Cook (5-foot-9, 160) will maneuver from the free safety spot.

Offensively, Mascheck thinks he has the guns to compensate for the loss of former running machine Dakarius Bell, the human bowling ball who led Columbia in rushing the past three seasons on his way to becoming the program’s all-time scorer and rusher.

“We are looking for balance,” Mascheck said. “We plan on running out of multiple wing sets. I learned a long time ago that to win at this level, you need more than a running game. You have to be able to throw the football.”

For that, Mascheck will look to senior quarterback Josh Jimenez (5-foot-9, 165) along with talented junior Michael Carlson (5-foot-11, 155).

“We feel confident with both under center,” the coach says. “Both are going to see a lot of playing time. They are both good leaders and throw the football.”

But the heart of the Columbia offensive machine could be a pair of talented running backs, junior Tranquail Harris (5-foot-10, 170) and senior Saylaion Dunlap (5-foot-8, 170).

“We like our backs and feel like they can help us get to where we want to be ... in the end zone,” Mascheck smiles.

But when the Roughnecks go to their passing game, look for the talented Kay to be a key target.

“He has all the tools,” Mascheck says. “He is not only a really good blocker, but he can also catch the football and run with it.”

The Roughnecks have other weapons for their passing game including Higgins, Taylor and Karch Kaspar, a 6-3, 165-pound junior.

“We feel like we have the tools and the desire to make this thing go,” Mascheck says. “We just have to stay with it and learn from our mistakes. Like I said, I want us to be peaking at district time. Not saying all our games aren’t important, but we want to peak at the right time.”

One of the biggest keys to making this offense click, according to Mascheck, is a talented offensive line led by center Raymond Kersten (6-foot-1, 260 senior), guards Chris Gamboa (5-foot-11, 265, senior), and junior David McLaren (6-foot, 200), along with tackles Cy Payne (6-foot-3, 270 senior) and junior Chris Davidson (5-foot-11, 235).

“We feel like our strong point is our offensive line,” Mascheck said. “We have some talented returners from last year, a seasoned bunch. They will be a big part in making our offense go.”

Kaspar and senior Austin LaPointe (5-foot-8, 160) are scheduled to take care of the Roughneck kick game while speedy junior Desmond Allrn (5-foot-9, 160) is slated to run back kickoffs and punts for the specials teams.

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_93305e81-915f-5599-8bd5-046b417e2646.html

Roughneck93
08-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Listen here....

http://www.thepressboxsports.ws

Roughneck93
08-26-2016, 01:51 PM
http://i.giphy.com/8CPdbIB3PMzAI.gif

Saggy Aggie
08-26-2016, 07:52 PM
I saw online where wc is up 7-0 w 9 mins left in the first. Anyone got updates??

Saggy Aggie
08-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Columbia 24
Sweeny 7

Close to the end of the 3rd

Roughneck93
08-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Columbia 24
Sweeny 7

Close to the end of the 3rd

24-7 was the final.

Always a good day when you beat Sweeny...:clap:

Way to go Necks!

Saggy Aggie
08-27-2016, 07:46 AM
24-7 was the final.

Always a good day when you beat Sweeny...:clap:

Way to go Necks!

How'd they look?

Roughneck93
08-27-2016, 08:30 PM
How'd they look?

Not bad at all.

Defense stood out. After Sweeny scored on their opening drive, Necks D settled down and pitched a shut out. The pick to kill the Sweeny drive in the 3rd quarter was awesome...game changer.

Offensively, looks like we're picking up the Wing T just fine. Great job by the Oline paving the way for Dunlap and Taylor. Both over 100 yards rushing...running game was on point. I believe we only attempted a few passes, didn't really need to, one thing I'd say needs work though. It's early, still have some things to iron out, but Necks played a solid game last night...:2thumbsup.