PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Eats

Yoe_09
08-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Guys,

As football gets going again, that means more travel to out of town games and food. What are some of the top spots you know of in your hometown and beyond?

Gsquared
08-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Specs Liquor stores.

toddg
08-09-2016, 03:43 PM
you can never go wrong with whataburger or DQ..unless you're one of those liberal whiney types.

Scoop27
08-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Hinze's Country Kitchen in Wharton-$2 beer on Friday's

Rocket Man
08-09-2016, 11:33 PM
Storms in Lampasas

BwdLion73
08-10-2016, 08:55 AM
We (Brownwood) have the usual fare of chain restaurants as you pass through headed to the stadium however if you like many look for something close to the field you are limited. The "Runaway Train" is close and has some really good burgers but can get very crowded/busy on game night. Another that is at the 377 turn off is the "Section Hand Restaurant" they have a large soup and salad bar and a variety of menu items. The good thing about them is they have a large seating capacity so there is usually not a wait to be seated and your 5 minutes from the stadium.

It should be noted for Burnet and Stephenville fans that the Allsups on 377 south is in a gas war with the new Stripes convenience store so there could be a line for your Allsup Burritos....also for those who enjoy the downlow banter about the famous "Whataburger in Early" you will discover it is in Brownwood.

1st and goal
08-10-2016, 09:00 AM
I wonder if Smithville stil lhas the best home made queso at any concession stand ever ?

Bosqueville
08-10-2016, 09:32 AM
We (Brownwood) have the usual fare of chain restaurants as you pass through headed to the stadium however if you like many look for something close to the field you are limited. The "Runaway Train" is close and has some really good burgers but can get very crowded/busy on game night. Another that is at the 377 turn off is the "Section Hand Restaurant" they have a large soup and salad bar and a variety of menu items. The good thing about them is they have a large seating capacity so there is usually not a wait to be seated and your 5 minutes from the stadium.

It should be noted for Burnet and Stephenville fans that the Allsups on 377 south is in a gas war with the new Stripes convenience store so there could be a line for your Allsup Burritos....also for those who enjoy the downlow banter about the famous "Whataburger in Early" you will discover it is in Brownwood.

Ah.. the train... I love that place and wish I made it home more often! I'm telling you, anything on the menu is out of this world good. Just close you eyes and point!

Bosqueville
08-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Well, in China Spring we have not iconic places being a bedroom community. The stadium fills so quickly on Friday nights, our routine is to get there at 6 and eat a frito pie or pulled pork nachos!

Gsquared
08-10-2016, 10:24 AM

Section Hand is my go to place in Brownwood now that Underwood's isn't what it used to be. Pretty good steaks at The Section Hand....

Bosqueville
08-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Section Hand is my go to place in Brownwood now that Underwood's isn't what it used to be. Pretty good steaks at The Section Hand....

Blasphemy! How dare you say such things about Underwood's!

Rabid Cougar
08-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Well, in China Spring we have not iconic places being a bedroom community. The stadium fills so quickly on Friday nights, our routine is to get there at 6 and eat a frito pie or pulled pork nachos!

Yes, best to eat at the concession stand which is really good by most standards. BUT you do have Heitmillers Steak House 15 minutes away on Lake Shore and I-35 Lot of new places to eat around Waco if you get here early enough specially around Valley Mills and 1-35 and Baylor and I-35.

Also Baris Italian on Valley Mills Drive and Georges!

China Spring - El Tapatio - really good Tex Mex; Marcos Pizza, it's a chain but has nice sit down dining area.
McGregor - 1a) Coffee Cup, 1b) Coaches BBQ.
Mexia - Frankie's Pasta and Pizza -- Awesome Italian
Hillsboro - El Conquistador
Maypearl- Maypearl Roadhouse
Alvarado - Got to go to Babes in Burleson! I know it's out of the way but yea, it is that good!
Brownwood - 1a) Section Hand 1b) Underwoods.
Glen Rose - Green Pickle
Fairfield - Sam's
Centerville- Woody's Smokehouse

NOTE on above:--- Benefits of umpiring baseball.....

Gsquared
08-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Blasphemy! How dare you say such things about Underwood's!

I used to be onboard but just hasn't been near as good the last few times, though, the fried chicken is pretty good

Gsquared
08-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Yes, best to eat at the concession stand which is really good by most standards. BUT you do have Heitmillers Steak House 15 minutes away on Lake Shore and I-35 Lot of new places to eat around Waco if you get here early enough specially around Valley Mills and 1-35 and Baylor and I-35.

Also Baris Italian on Valley Mills Drive and Georges!

China Spring - El Tapatio - really good Tex Mex; Marcos Pizza, it's a chain but has nice sit down dining area.
McGregor - 1a) Coffee Cup, 1b) Coaches BBQ.
Mexia - Frankie's Pasta and Pizza -- Awesome Italian
Hillsboro - El Conquistador
Maypearl- Maypearl Roadhouse
Alvarado - Got to go to Babes in Burleson! I know it's out of the way but yea, it is that good!
Brownwood - 1a) Section Hand 1b) Underwoods.
Glen Rose - Green Pickle
Fairfield - Sam's
Centerville- Woody's Smokehouse

NOTE on above:--- Benefits of umpiring baseball.....
My favorite is Lone Star Tavern! Mmmmm, Heitmillers is pretty good too tough.

duckhunter
08-10-2016, 08:02 PM
I wonder if Smithville stil lhas the best home made queso at any concession stand ever ?

Yes.... But the bbq sandwiches are no longer what they used to be I suspect? Town bbq staple zimmerhanzels closed a while back

duckhunter
08-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Marble falls used to have a pretty good spread at the field...

toddg
08-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Benny's in Alvarado is very good..couple of min. from stadium near Brookshiers

RkptFltn
08-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Before every game, home or away i eat Whataburger. It just feels right

Other places here in town that are pretty good:

Charlotte plummers - stuffed shrimp are the best i have ever had
Paradise Key - Bleu Cheese burger
HuDat - If you like vietnamese food, this place is the best place in town
Boiling pot - Most of the locals think its overpriced, and they can make a boil just as good. That being said the Boiling Pot is a pretty neat place to eat

Rabid Cougar
08-11-2016, 11:22 AM

I could not agree with you more!!!!!!!!:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

MUSTANG69
08-11-2016, 12:05 PM

Other places here in town that are pretty good:

Charlotte plummers - stuffed shrimp are the best i have ever had
Paradise Key - Bleu Cheese burger
HuDat - If you like vietnamese food, this place is the best place in town
Boiling pot - Most of the locals think its overpriced, and they can make a boil just as good. That being said the Boiling Pot is a pretty neat place to eat

The gumbo and tuna steak salad are also really good at Paradise Key.

1st and goal
08-11-2016, 03:45 PM

30 years ago, I had the most beautiful Vietnamese girl in the world show me how to crack and eat blue crab there....oh the memories.

In Giddings, I pretty much recommend the Whataburger, but if you want something nice, 20 miles east in Carmine is JW's steakhouse. Very Good. I held the door open for Rick Perry to exit a few months ago while waiting.

1st and goal
08-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Yes.... But the bbq sandwiches are no longer what they used to be I suspect? Town bbq staple zimmerhanzels closed a while back

That sucks. I liked Zimmerhanzels...

bobcat1
08-11-2016, 07:30 PM
G2 loves Banana pudding!

Pudlugger
08-11-2016, 09:52 PM
In La Grange:
Mexican food-The Guadalajara next to the Valero on Jefferson North of the RR tracks
Seafood and steaks- Sea Land out on the west end of business 71 next to Weikels. Sea Land has the best seafood gumbo I have ever tasted and I have tasted a few over the years. Great menu and reasonably priced too.
Pizza and deli- Reba's on Colorado south of Jackson behind Farmer's Lumber
Vietnamese- Saigon Pho just west of Sealand on business 71 next to the Rattler Exxon stop and shop(near Weikels)