PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmages this week

Cam
08-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Where ya'll headed?....Burnet heading to BW.....BwdLion73 is buyin' all visiting Burnet fans hotdogs!.........

toddg
08-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Liberty Hill will be where I follow the Indians to.

Rocket Man
08-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Rockets at home against Teague.

Had Blue/White this morning; hard to get a read, but at least they got to engage in some head knocking.

BwdLion73
08-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Where ya'll headed?....Burnet heading to BW.....BwdLion73 is buyin' all visiting Burnet fans hotdogs!.........

of course I will...for all down low members who ask.

Yoe_09
08-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Friday - Lorena @ Cameron
Saturday - Teague @ Robinson

Rocket Man, what times does fresh/JV start and varsity?

Blue42
08-07-2016, 03:17 AM
Aug 13 (Scrimmage) @ Lockhart 7:00 (Saturday)
Aug 18 (Scrimmage) @ Alice 7:00 (Thursday)
Don't like the Alice one as I have heard a lot of not so nice things about them. We were lucky to get well by the end of last season don't need to start out like we did last year.

mwrams
08-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Mineral Wells Rams
August 18 (Scrimmage) vs Brock.

State Champ travels the 15 miles or so to flex their muscle against the star studded Ram Nation.

Yoe_09
08-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Mineral Wells Rams
August 18 (Scrimmage) vs Brock.

State Champ travels the 15 miles or so to flex their muscle against the star studded Ram Nation.

Make sure to report back on that one. Two solid teams.

Roughneck93
08-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Friday, 8/12 @ 7 pm

Columbia hosts Royal.

Scoop27
08-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Wharton at Needville, 7 p.m. Friday
La Marque at Wharton, 7:30 p.m. Aug 18

Scoop27
08-07-2016, 03:13 PM
East Bernard at Goliad, 7 p.m.

bag-o-chips
08-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Navarro at San Antonio South San

Rocket Man
08-07-2016, 11:03 PM

I don't know, but will find out & report back.

HEMOTOXIC
08-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Friday

Bellville @ Navasota

Rocket Man
08-09-2016, 11:28 PM

Fresh scheduled to start at 9:00 am; JV, Varsity thereafter.

Aguilafanatico
08-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Argyle at Denton Friday - 7pm

buckeyebob
08-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Buckeyes host Kilgore Bulldogs Friday evening...JV & 9th grade starts @ 6PM...Varsity @ 7PM

This year, the Buckeyes & Bulldogs are asking for donations at the gate for the Texas High School Coaches Foundation "Our Day to Shine". The fund is established to assist athletes & coaches with special needs or hardships. Participating in "Our Day to Shine" gives our athletes, coaches and schools a great opportunity for community service as well as an opportunity to give to a worthy cause. We look for opportunities such as this in order to teach our student athletes the importance of giving back to their community. We hope that it will help them to see the bigger picture and understand that they are privileged to represent such a fantastic community. A donation canister will be available as you enter the stadium on Friday, Aug. 12, and please give to this worthy cause.

Sville
08-11-2016, 01:54 PM
The Jackets host Brewer tomorrow.

Pudlugger
08-11-2016, 07:36 PM
La Grange at El Campo 7PM Friday

SintonFan_inAustin
08-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Sinton at Kingsville
today 7pm at Javelina stadium

YTBulldogs
08-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Yoakum @ Gonzales - Varsity 6PM.

clcannon17
08-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Brownwood JV's defense is laying some nice hits. Got to give props to the Burnet receiver on that one handed catch. Took a hit for it though.

Freshman offense moved the ball will relative ease. I have to get used to this new formation though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hollywood
08-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Hearing Kilgore dominated Gilmer tonight. Updates?

hollywood
08-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Sville scrimmage vs Brewer looked sluggish. Basic plays as usual. A few highlights from both teams. Typical first scrimmage. MVP was the weather!

Bosqueville
08-12-2016, 10:14 PM
China Spring vs Hillsboro rescheduled for 2:30 tomorrow.

poisoned10
08-12-2016, 10:18 PM

Gilmer outscored Kilgore, 26-13 in the live quarter.

Not sure how the controlled part went.

Gilmer was missing 5 starters due to precautionary reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YTBulldogs
08-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Yoakum/Gonzales Scrimmage

Varsity 1's Ykm 2-1
Varsity 2's 0-0

JV GZ 4-0
9th 2-2

bag-o-chips
08-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Navarro 6 South San Antonio 2 Looked Ok but had a starter out that hurt on both sides. Need to shore up a few things next Thursday with Devine

SintonFan_inAustin
08-12-2016, 10:23 PM
Varsity 1's Sinton 3 Kingsville 0 Sinton qb Colt Gorman with 3 td passes in 3 possessions. Passing game looked sharp.
Varsity 2's Sinton 2 Kingsville 1 Kingsville 2's punch it in in their last possession.

FB-fanatic
08-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Satu?

Yoe, anything to report on the Lorena scrimmage?

Yoe_09
08-13-2016, 12:16 AM
Yoe, anything to report on the Lorena scrimmage?

Controlled
1st Vs. 1st - no scores
2nd Vs. 2nd - 2-0 Yoe

Live Quarter
14-6 Lorena

Not a bad first scrimmage. Based on personnel, I think Lorena should have a solid club in 2016. Very challenging first three games for the Leopards.

lostaussie
08-13-2016, 06:30 AM

Yea. They kicked dirt on us!!! Lol

Aesculus gilmus
08-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Gilmer outscored Kilgore, 26-13 in the live quarter.

Not sure how the controlled part went.

Gilmer was missing 5 starters due to precautionary reasons.

Controlled part was, quoting Trump, a DISASTER. :eek:

A friend of mine left in disgust before the live quarter even started. This guy is usually a staunch, diehard fan. Shame on him.

I read about the five starters being out later. BTW, I agree with holding ALL key players out of the scrimmages. Last year we lost one of our best players, Jackson Sikes, for the season in the first scrimmage.

FB-fanatic
08-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Controlled
1st Vs. 1st - no scores
2nd Vs. 2nd - 2-0 Yoe

Live Quarter
14-6 Lorena

Not a bad first scrimmage. Based on personnel, I think Lorena should have a solid club in 2016. Very challenging first three games for the Leopards.

Thanks for the update. I am helping Remo with some radio this season, wanted to go, but mother-in-law passed last evening.

Will be a tough ramp-up for the Leopards - China Spring, La Vega, 15-1 Franklin.... similar to last year.

Good luck to the Yoe this season!

buckeyebob
08-13-2016, 09:10 AM
Live quarter final score (Gotta be in shape to keep up with fast pace)

Gilmer 26 Had 6 starters out including Hurt (La. Tech) & Morton (OSU)...no serious injuries
Kilgore 14

Gilmer
27 plays for 289 yds, 4 td's
9 rushes for 28 yds, 1 td
13 of 18 passing for 261 yds, 3 td's
9 first downs
penalties: 2 for 10 yds

Kilgore
12 plays for 175 yds, 2 td's
9 rushes for 105 yds, 1 td
1 of 3 passing for 70 yds, 1 td
4 first downs
penalties: 2 for 12 yds

Controlled Scrimmage (Kilgore coaches kept Bux rhythm in check...normally Bux will no huddle real fast play...I think it was a disservice to the Bulldogs)

Gilmer
40 plays for 339 yds, 3 td's
13 rushes for 154 yds, 3 td's, 1 fumble lost
9 of 17 passing for 185 yds, 1 interception
7 first downs
penalties: 4 for 30 yds

Kilgore
40 plays for 456 yds, 6 td's
29 rushes for 302 yds, 4 td's, 2 lost fumbles
5 of 11 passing for 154 yds, 2 td's
7 first downs
penalties: 2 for 20 yds

d0tc0m
08-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Sounds like Gilmer found a pretty good QB.

speedbump
08-13-2016, 09:25 AM
" (Kilgore coaches kept Bux rhythm in check...normally Bux will no huddle real fast play...I think it was a disservice to the Bulldogs)"

How so?

Aesculus gilmus
08-13-2016, 10:32 AM
" (Kilgore coaches kept Bux rhythm in check...normally Bux will no huddle real fast play...I think it was a disservice to the Bulldogs)"

How so?

It was actually hilarious to watch. In the controlled portion of the scrimmage. Kilgore coaches would take their time huddling up with their defense. Then they'd slowly walk back across the line to get behind the Gilmer offense to watch the play unfold.

If you know anything about how the Gilmer offense operates, you realize this totally destroys Gilmer's uptempo attack. Gilmer normally never huddles and runs plays at a breakneck pace. Once the live action quarter started and the Kilgore coaches were no longer on the field, Kilgore necks began being broken by Gilmer's tempo.

speedbump
08-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Isn't that what coaches are suppose to do during the controlled part of a scrimmage?

Aggie98
08-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Isn't that what coaches are suppose to do during the controlled part of a scrimmage?

Yes.

Dawgs
08-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Uh ohh...Carthage has a QB. A really good QB. Good practice last night. Need to get our O-Line in shape, and our running game better. Had some key guys out, but had some guys step up. Overall good performance for the 1st scrimmage. Only time will tell how good Carthage will be. But if this QB turns out as good as I think he is going to be, the sky is the limit for this team. Should round into form about week 5-6.

speedbump
08-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Yes.

Glad to hear it. I thought the meaning of controlled had changed.

Dawgs
08-13-2016, 11:07 AM
From what I have read I heard Kilgo looked explosive on offense. Thats what I expected after seeing them last year with such a young bunch. Kilgo ain't no dark horse, but people better watch out. They have a good as shot as anybody to win Region 3. I think it comes down to the battle of the Bulldogs again for the district title. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Dawgs
08-13-2016, 11:08 AM
How them Ricebirds looking? I am sure they will be tough again this season.

speedbump
08-13-2016, 11:19 AM
How them Ricebirds looking? I am sure they will be tough again this season.

The Birds will be there. Big strong experienced down linemen all over the place. Need the RBs to get in step and then the sky is the limit I guess. QB is a leader like his brother. (Bryce Brandl) Not as big but a better passer. Stay injury free and this team could be the best we've had since we dropped down.

Dawgs
08-13-2016, 11:27 AM
The Birds will be there. Big strong experienced down linemen all over the place. Need the RBs to get in step and then the sky is the limit I guess. QB is a leader like his brother. (Bryce Brandl) Not as big but a better passer. Stay injury free and this team could be the best we've had since we dropped down.
I remember Bryce Brandl very well. Kid was a beast. I remember that freakin D-End too. El Campo, Carthage, and Kilgore are always the same. Got those hogs in the trenches, beating up on teams late in the season. All 3 teams have won a ton of games at the line of scrimmage. I have no doubt El Campo will be there. I would love nothing more than to meet up with the Ricebirds in the playoffs. That is one team that has had our number. We are still working on our O-Line this year, and we need some guys to step up. That's the one thing that has been different the last 2 years for Carthage is the running game just never got there. Except the 3 playoff games last year when Ingram got going, we haven't been able to consistently run the ball.

speedbump
08-13-2016, 11:32 AM
We may take some lumps early, but like the Dawgs, we'll be there in Dec. See you then.

Aesculus gilmus
08-13-2016, 11:47 AM

I agree. It was still hilarious. Gilmer is at its best when all controls are off.

It actually reminded me of what Jeff Traylor used to say about Kilgore: that it was an "SEC" team.

On edit: I just watched some of the controlled portion again. The difference between the Kilgore and Gilmer defensive coaches is that while the Gilmer coaches are on the field as well, they don't huddle up each play with their defense and then take a leisurely stroll back across the line of scrimmage to get behind the other team's offense. That's what Kilgore was doing. The Gilmer coaches are always standing behind the offense of the opposing team.

Rocket Man
08-13-2016, 01:07 PM
I don't think anyone will have anything to worry about from the Rockets this year. Not that there was anyone worried about anything.

I think it was Teague 3-0 in a controlled affair, but it could have been 4-0. No game simulation.

At this point I'm thinking CS might set a national scrimmage scoring record next week.

Roughneck93
08-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Columbia vs Brookshire

Controlled:
1's vs 1's: Columbia 3-0
2's vs 2's: Columbia 2-0

Live 20 minute clock:
10-0 Columbia

d0tc0m
08-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Haven't heard anything about Celina`s scrimmage with Paris, so I'm hoping a few of the Bobcats posters will chime in.

Pudlugger
08-13-2016, 02:18 PM

The Ricebirds did indeed have some very large O lineman and they moved the ball pretty well behind them. When I saw them lining up at first I thought the Leps were going to have a very long night. However despite the obvious size discrepancy the speed and quickness of our lineman on both sides of the ball compensated very well. Our linebackers filled and scrapped well last night which resulted in several stops midway into Ricebird drives. Although our o line is averaging about 250 they are in excellent shape and demonstrated good blocking technique against a bigger defense. I was surprised Coach Kates let Dobbins in but he started the first series and carried the ball twice with good gainers on both efforts for about 20-24 yards total before coach rested him for the remainder of the night. His replacement was Jericho Haardt a quick and elusive sophomore running back that brings depth to our running game. Senior WR Ramirez was on his game and made several receptions on post patterns over the middle and a really fine catch stretching above two defenders in the right corner of the endzone coming down with the ball and his feet inbounds. Unfortunately the play was called back as he apparently was flagged for pushing off in the jump ball scrum. That was as close as either team came in scoring in the simulated half. The Ricebirds scored one td in the controlled scrimmage(first team) and the Leps scored once with the second team. Playing the Ricebirds to essentially a draw was better than I had anticipated and I expect both teams to do well this season.

Scoop27
08-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Heard Sweeny roughed up Stafford pretty bad but didn't get how many TDs Bulldogs scored

Rabid Cougar
08-13-2016, 06:42 PM
China Spring vs Hillsboro rescheduled for 2:30 tomorrow.

Same song 2nd verse. Weapons all over the field... 7 on 7 with pads plus a running QB and RB.

Indians212
08-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Liberty Hill will be where I follow the Indians to.

Very physical scrimmage. The live portion was dominated by Alvarado.

FB-fanatic
08-13-2016, 09:28 PM
I don't think anyone will have anything to worry about from the Rockets this year. Not that there was anyone worried about anything.

I think it was Teague 3-0 in a controlled affair, but it could have been 4-0. No game simulation.

At this point I'm thinking CS might set a national scrimmage scoring record next week.

That has to be a bit of a touchy subject, with the AD's son at QB. Is he a Junior this year?

Bosqueville
08-13-2016, 09:54 PM
That has to be a bit of a touchy subject, with the AD's son at QB. Is he a Junior this year?

I heard his son is no longer playing football.

Yoe_09
08-13-2016, 10:15 PM

Yes, not that a first scrimmage is everything, but Robinson really struggled in most areas of the game. Teague is still good, but this still appears to be a down team for Robinson.

Rocket Man
08-13-2016, 11:57 PM

He's a senior.

I may be over blowing things, it was just the first scrimmage after all.

WOS87
08-14-2016, 05:46 AM
WOS did pretty much as everyone expected. Shut down a good 5A PNG Squad 19-7 in a mock four quarter game. Starters were all pulled after the 19 points were scored.

Blue42
08-14-2016, 09:38 AM
The Gobblers looked good but a little rusty for a first scrimmage can be expected. Travis showed on the first play what the Sophomore RB Grant can do went untouched for a TD.Then worked on things we know we need to work on. We have a luxury this year that we didn't have last year and that's a lot of depth. Did not play a live series. Gobblers scored 3 one called back for a holding down field. Had a cupple of fights as Lockhart was getting a little Frustrated think they only had 2 first downs no scores longest run maybe 10 yrds .Cuero defiantly faster, bigger ,stronger and in much better shape than Lockhart and that showed.

Old Green
08-14-2016, 10:10 AM
The Gobblers looked good but a little rusty for a first scrimmage can be expected. Travis showed on the first play what the Sophomore RB Grant can do went untouched for a TD.Then worked on things we know we need to work on. We have a luxury this year that we didn't have last year and that's a lot of depth. Did not play a live series. Gobblers scored 3 one called back for a holding down field. Had a cupple of fights as Lockhart was getting a little Frustrated think they only had 2 first downs no scores longest run maybe 10 yrds .Cuero defiantly faster, bigger ,stronger and in much better shape than Lockhart and that showed.

How did the passing game look Blue42 ?

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

Blue42
08-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Not bad Val had some dropped and some overthrown but not bad all in all if we could combine Drew and Bralen we would have the perfect QB. We had no interceptions and the Lockhart kids were on Jordan hard tring to trip him up hitting him down field to throw him off his game. We did a cupple deep passes 1 dropped and 1 was caught but had a holding call bring it back. First scrimmage not bad still lot of work to do but we look in very good shape going forward. Travis has a lot to work with this year and all of them will play a part.

Old Green
08-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Not bad Val had some dropped and some overthrown but not bad all in all if we could combine Drew and Bralen we would have the perfect QB. We had no interceptions and the Lockhart kids were on Jordan hard tring to trip him up hitting him down field to throw him off his game. We did a cupple deep passes 1 dropped and 1 was caught but had a holding call bring it back. First scrimmage not bad still lot of work to do but we look in very good shape going forward. Travis has a lot to work with this year and all of them will play a part.

Thanks Neal ! Sounds like the guys will be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

WOS1
08-14-2016, 05:34 PM

Exactly! That's the whole point.

WOS1
08-14-2016, 05:46 PM
WOS did pretty much as everyone expected. Shut down a good 5A PNG Squad 19-7 in a mock four quarter game. Starters were all pulled after the 19 points were scored.

Dallas with 3 TD passes before PNG got a first down. Had one INT deep in PNG territory on a pass off the WR hands that was a little high.

Sville
08-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Jackets hosted FW Brewer last Friday. Brewer was in control thru the controlled portion of the scrimmage. The Bears 1st team outscored the Jackets 1st team 2 to 1 and the Brewer 2nd teamers outscored the Sville 2nd team 3-0. The Jackets lone TD in the controlled part was a long TD pass. Brewer was able to methodically run the ball on the Jacket D. The Jackets had a hard time with the zone read and QB trap with the Bears' QBs doing most of the work.

Sville looked much better in the live qtr winning 2 to 1 with several big plays.

Summary- QB Easton Jones looks much improved over a year ago. He has grown at least an inch, put on about 15 pounds, and looked much faster on the speed option the Jackets like to run. The Jackets look to have much more speed at the skill positions. The OL is bigger than last year. I expect some fireworks from the Jacket offense this year.

Defensively the Jacket defense struggled with some of the interior traps and counters Brewer threw at them. Most of the LB'ers are sophomores, I expect this to get better with more experience. The Jackets have a huge NG in Jacob Lopez. He is going to be a handful. The secondary didn't get tested much but were in good position most of the night. There were some plays where the Jackets were outran to the edge.

Early on it appears the offense might have to carry more of the load until the D can get more experience with several sophomores starting.

waterboy
08-15-2016, 11:07 AM
I agree. It was still hilarious. Gilmer is at its best when all controls are off.

It actually reminded me of what Jeff Traylor used to say about Kilgore: that it was an "SEC" team.

On edit: I just watched some of the controlled portion again. The difference between the Kilgore and Gilmer defensive coaches is that while the Gilmer coaches are on the field as well, they don't huddle up each play with their defense and then take a leisurely stroll back across the line of scrimmage to get behind the other team's offense. That's what Kilgore was doing. The Gilmer coaches are always standing behind the offense of the opposing team.

I was getting a little frustrated, too, like your friend. The "controlled" portion was dominated by Kilgore. I thought what the Kilgore coaches did was smart, giving their players a chance to catch their breath and make adjustments. That's what scrimmages are for, lol. What I didn't know until I met a player's parent was that the Buckeyes had at least 6 starters out, maybe 7. Nothing serious, just bumps and bruises. At least 5 of them were starters on the defense. That kind of explains why they got burned a few times. I won't take anything away from Kilgore. They looked like they are going to be explosive offensively, and their defense ain't bad and will definitely improve. Defense is, and always has been a strong point for the Bulldogs.

I think the live quarter was much more telling of where the Buckeyes are as a team. We got into an offensive rhythm that will give other teams fits, in my opinion. It's hard to judge the defense with so many starters out, but they were gritty, nonetheless, and got some stops.

It's tough to tell what we will look like just yet, but I think I can safely say we will be very good once again. We do have a tough schedule, so going unblemished will be very tough, but I think we will continually improve to the point where we can be a definite contender once again.

catgut
08-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Haven't heard anything about Celina`s scrimmage with Paris, so I'm hoping a few of the Bobcats posters will chime in.
I was looking forward to getting Celina's view of the scrimmage also.

OldNavy
08-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Used to read about Celina all the time, what gives?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

d0tc0m
08-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Used to read about Celina all the time, what gives?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

There's a few of us still going strong, but not many of us on here actually live in Celina anymore. You'll be able to hear/read about the Bobcats plenty when the season starts. Bobcats fans have always been a little quiet when it comes to scrimmages -- except for maybe the 2006-07 seasons.

Celina8
08-16-2016, 04:58 AM
There's a few of us still going strong, but not many of us on here actually live in Celina anymore. You'll be able to hear/read about the Bobcats plenty when the season starts. Bobcats fans have always been a little quiet when it comes to scrimmages -- except for maybe the 2006-07 seasons.

I don't get to the games as much as I use to or even know the players like I once did but I had the chance to visit with Troy McCartney former player and now one of the Coaches on staff here in Celina. He just said the boys look really good this year and that many benefited from a strong off season program in the weight room . That does not say much I know as I am sure all the other schools can pretty much state the same. It was good to visit with Troy as I knew him when he was 5 years of age and to see him now as a married young man made me smile and sad as to how fast time passes.

Indians212
08-16-2016, 08:31 AM
I was looking forward to getting Celina's view of the scrimmage also.

What was your take?

d0tc0m
08-16-2016, 08:42 AM
I don't get to the games as much as I use to or even know the players like I once did but I had the chance to visit with Troy McCartney former player and now one of the Coaches on staff here in Celina. He just said the boys look really good this year and that many benefited from a strong off season program in the weight room . That does not say much I know as I am sure all the other schools can pretty much state the same. It was good to visit with Troy as I knew him when he was 5 years of age and to see him now as a married young man made me smile and sad as to how fast time passes.

Troy is on the Mt. Rushmore of Celina greats, in my opinion. I had no idea he was on staff now, but that is great news, and the staff, as well as the team, is better for it. Thanks for sharing what you heard, Celina8.

Celina8
08-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Troy is on the Mt. Rushmore of Celina greats, in my opinion. I had no idea he was on staff now, but that is great news, and the staff, as well as the team, is better for it. Thanks for sharing what you heard, Celina8.

He is all muscle still and super nice young man . I know that Dwight Smith was the Star running back the night we played Carthage for the State Title but many forget that Troy scored 5 TD's that night and rushed for over 225 yards that game but was just up against a much better team that night with Carthage .

d0tc0m
08-16-2016, 06:30 PM
He is all muscle still and super nice young man . I know that Dwight Smith was the Star running back the night we played Carthage for the State Title but many forget that Troy scored 5 TD's that night and rushed for over 225 yards that game but was just up against a much better team that night with Carthage .

Dwight Smith was great that game. He was served well by an incredible Carthage offensive line - maybe the best Celina ever faced. And we lost our best defensive lineman in a freak pregame accident. But you're right, Troy was nearly as unstoppable in that game as D Smith was.

Troy solidified his long-lasting status the prior year, though, in my opinion, on that third-and-long late in the fourth quarter against China Spring in the '07 title game, when he scrambled on the halfback pass and broke at least 3 or 4 sure tackles for loss, only to find Austin Carey downfield for the first down deep into Cougar territory. That kept the game-winning drive alive.

Like I said, the Bobcats will be well served having Troy on staff. I imagine the baseball team will too. He was a heck of a ballplayer on the diamond as well.

catgut
08-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Dwight Smith was great that game. He was served well by an incredible Carthage offensive line - maybe the best Celina ever faced. And we lost our best defensive lineman in a freak pregame accident. But you're right, Troy was nearly as unstoppable in that game as D Smith was.

Troy solidified his long-lasting status the prior year, though, in my opinion, on that third-and-long late in the fourth quarter against China Spring in the '07 title game, when he scrambled on the halfback pass and broke at least 3 or 4 sure tackles for loss, only to find Austin Carey downfield for the first down deep into Cougar territory. That kept the game-winning drive alive.

Like I said, the Bobcats will be well served having Troy on staff. I imagine the baseball team will too. He was a heck of a ballplayer on the diamond as well.
I guess we won't know how they looked in the scrimmage

d0tc0m
08-18-2016, 04:16 PM
I guess we won't know how they looked in the scrimmage

Hahaha I guess not. Maybe we'll get 2nd scrimmage reports.

Celina8
08-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Wish I could provide some information but I have not heard any thing about the scrimmage last week and my days of going to early morning QB breakfast have long since passed.

mwrams
08-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Mineral Wells looked pretty fast and ready for the opener as they bested State Champion Brock in the live action. They bent a little with Brocks multiple looks but never broke as the defense shined against the Eagles potent running game.

Bosqueville
08-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Hearing Brownwood looked really good against Wichita Falls Rider today. 2-1 with one TD called back and then 1-0

Red Carpet
08-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Hearing Brownwood looked really good against Wichita Falls Rider today. 2-1 with one TD called back and then 1-0

You are hearing correctly. Defensive front has been dominant so far.....but like myself, most around here aren't sure if we've been dominant due to the competition or if we are that good. I do know that we are more athletic, stronger and faster in the front seven than last year. I suspect we won't really know what we have until we go back to back against LH and Alvarado in weeks 3 and 4. Looking at the schedule, it should be very physical every freaking week. Thank God we have 2 bye weeks this year.