PDA

View Full Version : Teams that may suprise folks this season

toddg
08-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Lake Worth-had young fast talent last year..
Wilmer-Hutchins-excellent skill position players..
Iowa Park-after year of learning new system, will be much improved..
Stephenville-will be young this year..some good speed, may be a factor over in reg.1
Decatur-very good coach, very coachable players..
Just a few I'll be keeping up with, what say you?

Bosqueville
08-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Gatesville- came on very strong to end the season making it to area. Return some great skill players. I see them getting that 4th spot.
Fairfield- I just have this feeling they are getting better and will contend for that district.
Levelland- hearing this may be their best team in decades. Great QB and fast receivers.

hollywood
08-05-2016, 11:15 PM
Lake Worth-had young fast talent last year..
Wilmer-Hutchins-excellent skill position players..
Iowa Park-after year of learning new system, will be much improved..
Stephenville-will be young this year..some good speed, may be a factor over in reg.1
Decatur-very good coach, very coachable players..
Just a few I'll be keeping up with, what say you?

Good post toddg! I'm not familiar enough WH, LW nor IP.. Spot on about SV and Decatur.

Lookin forward to seeing how ole Alvarillo will do this season. Should be a serious threat in Reg 2.

hollywood
08-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Gatesville- came on very strong to end the season making it to area. Return some great skill players. I see them getting that 4th spot.
Fairfield- I just have this feeling they are getting better and will contend for that district.
Levelland- hearing this may be their best team in decades. Great QB and fast receivers.

Levelland was young and pretty damn salty last season. They'll make some noise again this season.. No doubt.

toddg
08-06-2016, 02:36 AM
Good post toddg! I'm not familiar enough WH, LW nor IP.. Spot on about SV and Decatur.

Lookin forward to seeing how ole Alvarillo will do this season. Should be a serious threat in Reg 2.
This years Indian team will be the best team we've had since 2011 IMO, good speed and size combo this year..we will see how we hold up against 6A drop down Justin NW right out of the gate..they have 3 D1 commits that I know of.
Son #2 will be playing TE on our JV team this year, as son #1 heads to Texas A&M in 2 weeks. busy year! LoL!!

Dawgs
08-06-2016, 10:00 AM
How about Bullard in D1, and Tatum in D2. Bullard coming off a 7-4 season where they played Gilmer really close, and return almost all their key guys. Tatum coming off an 0-10 season, but had a ton of injuries. They had a coaching change, and were able to get a great proven coach in Barker. He has won everywhere he has been. Might be the next great coach in ETX.

LHPfactory
08-10-2016, 06:46 AM
This years Indian team will be the best team we've had since 2011 IMO, good speed and size combo this year..we will see how we hold up against 6A drop down Justin NW right out of the gate..they have 3 D1 commits that I know of.
Son #2 will be playing TE on our JV team this year, as son #1 heads to Texas A&M in 2 weeks. busy year! LoL!!

You making the trip to LH this year ?

I have a Soph and Sr on Varsity this year, looking for another physical scrimmage between 2 groups that play grown man football.

PS, we don't have much in restaurants but Dahlias is one of the best restaurants in the Hill Country and its right here in LH.

lostaussie
08-10-2016, 08:37 AM
How about Bullard in D1, and Tatum in D2. Bullard coming off a 7-4 season where they played Gilmer really close, and return almost all their key guys. Tatum coming off an 0-10 season, but had a ton of injuries. They had a coaching change, and were able to get a great proven coach in Barker. He has won everywhere he has been. Might be the next great coach in ETX.

Tatum always has the kids and after an o'fer last year, I would expect them to bounce back in a big way.

d0tc0m
08-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Tatum always has the kids and after an o'fer last year, I would expect them to bounce back in a big way.

This. Tatum is going to have the athletes. If those athletes have bought into Coach Barker's philosophies - and by all accounts, they have - they could make some noise this year. Barker is a proven coach in east Texas, and I think he'll be able to get a lot out of those kids in green. One thing that could also come into play is the fact that Tatum was forced to develop some depth last season, as it seemed every starter went down with an injury, meaning kids who would not be No. 1 on the depth chart all of a sudden were thrust into starting roles. I'm not sure how many of those kids are back, but the ones that are back will be experienced, hardened and tested, and should give the Eagles a decent depth chart heading into the 2016 campaign.

Tatum may not go 10-0 through the regular season, but I bet they'll win some big games and possibly challenge Jasper for that district championship. Could be looking at a possible second-round matchup with Celina, too, if the bracket shapes out similar to the way it did last season. That'd be a whale of a game.

d0tc0m
08-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Another pair of teams I'll throw in there are Wharton and Wimberley, both down in Region IV. Both return a decent amount, and Wharton brings back a ton of speed. The Tigers could challenge for a district title, and between them, fellow District 15 mates Cuero and Sinton, along with Wimberley and Navarro, Region IV could be pretty entertaining come playoff time.

If you had to ask me right now, I'd say Region IV goes through Cuero or Navarro, but wouldn't surprise me to see one of these teams make a run at a semifinal berth this season.

slingshot
08-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Agree with Stephenville. They were very young last year but those sophomores got a lot of playing time and are a year older and bigger... they played us very tough. With 'Villes tradition and facilities not to mention community support--they are my dark horse pick to finish 2nd in our district.

BwdLion73
08-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Agree with Stephenville. They were very young last year but those sophomores got a lot of playing time and are a year older and bigger... they played us very tough. With 'Villes tradition and facilities not to mention community support--they are my dark horse pick to finish 2nd in our district.

Wow...guess that puts Wylie in third place. :)

greendawg84
08-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Gatesville is my dark horse this year .

lostaussie
08-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Wow...guess that puts Wylie in third place. :)

It is what it is:D

Rocket Man
08-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Gatesville is my dark horse this year .

We play them Week 5, right before district starts; I'm hoping for a lot better/closer score than last year.

I think we'll get a good gauge of how much better both teams are from last year.

Rabid Cougar
08-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Somerset in Region IV. 5A dropping to 4A with Detmer's running the show. Beast of a QB too.

slingshot
08-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Wow...guess that puts Wylie in third place. :)You better worry about beating Snyder for 3rd... :taunt:

lostaussie
08-10-2016, 11:45 AM
You better worry about beating Snyder for 3rd... :taunt:

Superman done lost his cape....... speaking of which.......I sure do miss Dahop!!!

Dawgs
08-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Somerset in Region IV. 5A dropping to 4A with Detmer's running the show. Beast of a QB too.

Good one. They made it to the finals in the 7 on 7 state tournament beating Celina, and CS in the process. This could be one of those teams that we see drop down and have a buncha success. Only problem is they are I. region 4.

d0tc0m
08-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Good one. They made it to the finals in the 7 on 7 state tournament beating Celina, and CS in the process. This could be one of those teams that we see drop down and have a buncha success. Only problem is they are I. region 4.

They should be good. Hard to judge off 7-on-7, though. For example, Celina was without Pingleton at the helm, and instead had a sophomore starting at QB - all summer long, actually. He did well, and actually had a chance to ice that Somerset game, but threw a pick-6 inside the 10- or 15-yard line that gave Somerset the win. With Pingleton in, the game's likely not that close. Hard to say, though.

You can't ignore Somerset's QB and his bloodlines, after all. It'll be interesting to see how well they do down there in Region IV, which like you made reference to, will be anything but a nice fall walk in the park.

Sville
08-10-2016, 04:38 PM
Sville will be better than last year. Still real young at offensive skill positions but have more speed on offense. Defensive speed is still lacking but more size up front on both sides. The Jackets will prolly win a game they shouldn't and lose one they shouldn't. Stephenville is a year away from their next good team IMO.

Scoop27
08-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Needville could be better this year

toddg
08-11-2016, 01:21 AM
You making the trip to LH this year ?

I have a Soph and Sr on Varsity this year, looking for another physical scrimmage between 2 groups that play grown man football.

PS, we don't have much in restaurants but Dahlias is one of the best restaurants in the Hill Country and its right here in LH.

I'm planning on being there, should be a good hard hitting expedition for sure!!

Weebe
08-11-2016, 07:30 AM

They'll get dominated by the first playoff team they match up with that is north of San Antonio.

slingshot
08-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Sville will be better than last year. Still real young at offensive skill positions but have more speed on offense. Defensive speed is still lacking but more size up front on both sides. The Jackets will prolly win a game they shouldn't and lose one they shouldn't. Stephenville is a year away from their next good team IMO.I think they'll be better than you think... that group is feisty. They will get better and better as the year goes on and will be a tough out in the playoffs.

Sville
08-11-2016, 01:38 PM
I think they'll be better than you think... that group is feisty. They will get better and better as the year goes on and will be a tough out in the playoffs.

When I say good I mean top 10. I believe they are a year away from that level but it wouldn't surprise me if they were top 20 15-20 good this season, or as Grant and Terry put tier 2'ish.

Hollyville
08-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Still holding out to see who post the first "Back Where We Belong" post.