PDA

View Full Version : La Grange v El Campo first scrimmage 8/12 7PM in El Campo

Pudlugger
08-02-2016, 04:40 PM
OK football season is now officially on. I'm looking forward to this scrimmage as the Ricebirds are always a tough team to play, as they usually are big and physical. I expect that Dobbins will see little or no time in this or the next scrimmage but we all know what he brings to the field. On the other hand we have some exciting prospects that should debut well in this 2016 opener. Our two new O linemen will get a chance to prove themselves as well as a couple of juniors returning from last year. Junior WR Cooper will be getting plenty of looks and coaches expect him to be a real playmaker in the Lep passing game. In the backfield sophomore rb Jeracho Heardt promises to be an exciting addition to the ground game after an impressive showing last year as a freshman. Our defense will be anchored in the middle by All District mlb three year starter John Garcia. This scrimmage should provide plenty of opportunities for young Leopard players to establish themselves in the 2016 starting lineup. After this scrimmage the Leps have Lockhart at home then open the season with Liberty Hill away and then Argyle at Waco ISD. We have our work cut out for us. What about the Ricebirds? How do they stack up this season?

speedbump
08-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Big and physical may be an understatement with this group. Down linemen should be our strength this season and my opinion is,this bunch may be as good in the trenches as any in 4A. It will all be anchored by four year starter Ried Zboril and will include Micah Mccomb (6'5 290) Dawson Mauch (230) Brandon Williams (280) Tyrese Washington (280) and Chris Melchor (230) who could be called a three year starter along with a few skinny guys (bout 260)backing them up. The Birds will have a tight end that goes 6'5- 210 and a WR at 6'2 that can go up and snag em. Dove and Harris will be replaced with a couple of Sr. RBs that will get the job done. QB will be a kid named Brandl. Sound familiar?

I know you guys would like to see your pass defense get some work and we need to work on our passing game in case we have to throw more than our usual 4 times a game. You guys can run on offense to look at your new guys and we can try to find a couple of LBs. I'll alert the coaches on both sides,so they know what to do.

With all those starters coming back surrounding Dobbins,you guys will have a big old bullseye on you from day one. The Birds will be able to sneak up on a few early in the season. Good luck to you guys and hope to see you at Gerrys big beer joint.

Pudlugger
08-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Dang the Ricebirds are yuuuuge! This is going to be a tough scrimmage. Agreed the Leps need to work on pass defense. The D last year was pretty effective on stopping the run. However, in game 6 with the Leps 5-0 Fredericksburg opened up with their passing attack and exposed our Achilles Heel. It was a shame the Billies lost their great qb in the following week to injuries as they probably would have gone pretty deep in the playoffs with him at the helm. Our defense will have to be quick and agile to avoid getting steam rolled by that big O line.

Pudlugger
08-03-2016, 04:30 PM
OK football season is now officially on. I'm looking forward to this scrimmage as the Ricebirds are always a tough team to play, as they usually are big and physical. I expect that Dobbins will see little or no time in this or the next scrimmage but we all know what he brings to the field. On the other hand we have some exciting prospects that should debut well in this 2016 opener. Our two new O linemen will get a chance to prove themselves as well as a couple of juniors returning from last year. Junior WR Cooper will be getting plenty of looks and coaches expect him to be a real playmaker in the Lep passing game. In the backfield sophomore rb Jeracho Heardt promises to be an exciting addition to the ground game after an impressive showing last year as a freshman. Our defense will be anchored in the middle by All District mlb three year starter John Garcia. This scrimmage should provide plenty of opportunities for young Leopard players to establish themselves in the 2016 starting lineup. After this scrimmage the Leps have Lockhart at home then open the season with Liberty Hill away and then Argyle at Waco ISD. We have our work cut out for us. What about the Ricebirds? How do they stack up this season?

Correction we play Argyle at Waco Midway in Hewitt not Waco ISD at 7:30 9/2/16.

speedbump
08-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Correction we play Argyle at Waco Midway in Hewitt not Waco ISD at 7:30 9/2/16.

We also have a beast that night in 10th ranked (5A) Angleton. We start with Gregory Portland and then follow Angleton with Calhoun and Wharton. Found out last night we have a couple of move ins this season. A 6'3 200 lb from 2A Louise that was AD on both sides of the ball and will get his time at LB or DE with the Birds. The other is Jr. RB DeAndre Gibson (6'1 - 220) from Sweeny. I'm sure they will take a good look at him in the scrimmages. All I know about him is he had 7 carries for 54 yds against Wharton last year. Hopefully one of the Sweeny posters can fill me in.

sk1
08-12-2016, 09:20 PM
How did EC look tonight?

Pudlugger
08-12-2016, 10:30 PM
How did EC look tonight?

Very big and well coached. The Ricebird ones scored 1 td to LG 0 and the LG twos scored 1 to EC 0 in the controlled scrimmage and in the simulated quarter LG drove to the 3 and had a td catch in the corner of the endzone on a jump ball but got called for offensive interference(pushing off). Otherwise 0-0. Given how big the Ricebirds O line was I was impressed with our defense holding them scoreless in the 18 minute simulated play. JK Dobbins was in only for the first series of the controlled play and carried for 21 yards in two carries. The Ricebird Qb had a strong arm and hit his receivers on the numbers. The Ricebirds will make some noise this season for sure. I was happy that the Leps could hang with them like they did especially without Dobbins carrying the load. Jericho Haardt sophomore rb was impressive with several good gaines and blitzing on defense. All in all a good night for LG and a needed tough match up with a bigger and more physical opponent.