PDA

View Full Version : Celina Article in DMN

Leopard4Life
07-27-2016, 01:07 PM
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/07/26/will-growth-catch-celina

d0tc0m
07-27-2016, 02:41 PM
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/07/26/will-growth-catch-celina

Read this earlier. There's a lot more content here than what this article actually offers, and it's a sports story probably worthy of a more in-depth feature than this. I'm nitpicking a bit, I suppose, because I'm fresh off being a sports feature writer/columnist, so I hold sports stories to a high standard. Anyway, this growth has been on the horizon for quite some time now. I mean, it was well on its way to us when the economy went south for a bit back in 2008. That delayed things. Now the economy is on the uptick and the Metroplex War Machine is fueled back up and moving north again, and, like the article states, Celina is the next - natural - target.

Another article earlier in the year stated that by the year 2024 - I think - Celina's population would be in the neighborhood of 100,000. That's less than a decade away and you're talking about an absolute explosion in population. My parents live out west of town, just west of where the Dallas North Tollway ends. My parents' white-rock road is actually now considered Legacy (for those familiar with the area). Out by them, there is a 4,500-home development going in. At the end of the day, though, these numbers are just projections, and there are so many variables that go into things like this that it's essentially impossible to predict anything with any semblance of certainty.

That said, it's hard to imagine the unquenchable hunger of the Metroplex will just stop at Prosper and not head up 289 any further towards Celina. I'm not an opponent of progress or growth, but I am a big fan of small towns and what they have to offer. Selfishly, I wish Celina would stay about the same size it is and keep the unity and togetherness that comes with a small, one-high-school town.

d0tc0m
07-27-2016, 02:48 PM
And to the article's point ... With a population of 100,000, there's no way you can have just one high school. Not without drawing up some questionable district lines, anyway. But Celina will fight that for as long as the people who were born-and-raised there outnumber those who weren't, and that number will decrease with time and enough population influx. It's hard to say or project what will happen to the Bobcats football program if/when another high school opens, but I imagine the passion surrounding the orange and white will be hard to quell.

I just hope and pray we don't have a repeat of what happened out west in the Dillon ISD about a decade ago. Tore that damn town apart.

WOS87
07-27-2016, 03:21 PM
The population surge is bound to happen eventually. Plano went from lowest to largest classification in a period 15 years, Southlake Carroll did it in 17 years and Katy over 20 years. They all survived the change just fine.

Rabid Cougar
07-27-2016, 04:08 PM
5+ high schools like Frisco in future!

arges
07-27-2016, 04:19 PM
My niece and her husband are looking to move from Celina. Just off Dallas Parkway. The want something less crowded.

Aesculus gilmus
07-27-2016, 04:34 PM
I just hope and pray we don't have a repeat of what happened out west in the Dillon ISD about a decade ago. Tore that damn town apart.

I miss that show. I watched every episode of the series. I had never seen the movie until a few months ago. The TV show was actually better than the movie, IMO.

What was humorous about that "West Texas" town of Dillon was that occasionally on the show you could see the skyline of Austin in the distance. So it wasn't all that far west. :D

WOS1
07-27-2016, 05:13 PM
My brother in law moved from Frisco North to Celina to get away from all of the growth. Looks like he may need to move further North.

d0tc0m
07-27-2016, 05:47 PM
My niece and her husband are looking to move from Celina. Just off Dallas Parkway. The want something less crowded.

There's still plenty of wide open space within Celina. It's a pretty small town, but it has more land than any other town in Collin County, so it's got a ways to go before it gets crowded.

d0tc0m
07-27-2016, 05:52 PM
I miss that show. I watched every episode of the series. I had never seen the movie until a few months ago. The TV show was actually better than the movie, IMO.

What was humorous about that "West Texas" town of Dillon was that occasionally on the show you could see the skyline of Austin in the distance. So it wasn't all that far west. :D

Agreed. I liked the movie, but the show was much better. More dynamic characters, better story arcs and a far more convincing head coach. Coach Taylor and Tim Riggins are two of the most complex, rich characters you'll ever find on a TV series. And, man, what I'd give for one of those Coach Taylor Dillon Panthers windbreakers.

And you're right, Dillon wasn't as far west as they'd like for it to have seemed. But only us Texans would've known the difference.

buckeyebob
07-28-2016, 08:38 AM
The population surge is bound to happen eventually. Plano went from lowest to largest classification in a period 15 years, Southlake Carroll did it in 17 years and Katy over 20 years. They all survived the change just fine.

We are having a population explosion...Schlotzky's opened...& getting a truck stop on south side of town across the street from new Tractor Supply...and The Beer Barn is opening on the West Side...life is good...& the Ruskies are releasing HRC's yoga moves, recipes & the Wedding Planner...

Emerson1
07-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Selfishly, I wish Celina would stay about the same size it is and keep the unity and togetherness that comes with a small, one-high-school town.

I could see Celina being like Allen and have one high school for 6,000 kids.

Forney would have been 6A(5A) 4-5 years ago if they didn't open a 2nd high school too. Would have been bad for football. Softball would probably have had at least 2 state championships in that span though.

Leopard4Life
07-28-2016, 02:43 PM
I could see Celina being like Allen and have one high school for 6,000 kids.

Allen ISD is 29 square miles (1 mega school with over 6300 kids 9-12, but Freshman have separate building)
Celina ISD is 95 square miles
Plano is 105 square miles (3 mega schools 9-12, but they are spread across 3 High Schools (9-10) and 3 Sr. Highs (11-12)
Frisco ISD 72 square miles (9 5A schools and growing)

At 95 square miles Celina will have too many students to stick to the mega high school model, unless they want 18,000 students it will need to be split up.

Of course the City's within Celina ISD could zone for 2 acre plus housing and not have any sewer, this could stem the flow for a while...

I could easily Celina following Katy's lead and opening multiple high schools but leaving old Celina high as the "unofficial football magnate school."

d0tc0m
07-28-2016, 03:21 PM
I could easily Celina following Katy's lead and opening multiple high schools but leaving old Celina high as the "unofficial football magnate school."

The road goes on forever, and the party never ends ...

PurplePop
07-28-2016, 03:54 PM
We are having a population explosion...Schlotzky's opened...& getting a truck stop on south side of town across the street from new Tractor Supply...and The Beer Barn is opening on the West Side...life is good...& the Ruskies are releasing HRC's yoga moves, recipes & the Wedding Planner...

Too funny! It's about the same here in Seguin. We got a new H-E-B to replace our old one and we're supposed to get a Super Wal-Mart to replace our regular Wal-Mart. Hastings is closing, damnit. But, the big news is we paid some big city marketing company $75,000 to come up with a new city slogan that is -
"Seguin - It's Real"
Can you believe that? What does that even mean? Just a heads up, if you don't know it. Seguin is real. Thanks. Here's $75,000.

d0tc0m
07-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Too funny! It's about the same here in Seguin. We got a new H-E-B to replace our old one and we're supposed to get a Super Wal-Mart to replace our regular Wal-Mart. Hastings is closing, damnit. But, the big news is we paid some big city marketing company $75,000 to come up with a new city slogan that is -
"Seguin - It's Real"
Can you believe that? What does that even mean? Just a heads up, if you don't know it. Seguin is real. Thanks. Here's $75,000.

Hell, I'd have cut you guys a real sweet deal for an even better motto.

PurplePop
07-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Hell, I'd have cut you guys a real sweet deal for an even better motto.

Our city leaders have caught an earful.

Scoop27
07-28-2016, 07:42 PM
The Rosenberg-Richmond area off Hwy 59 is really exploding and will most likely be adding two or more high schools in the next 20 years. The are expanding Hwy 59 through Rosenberg and Richmond to 4 lanes on each side and this eventually will expand to Beasley about 10 miles way and then Kendleton and then to Hungerford where I live

Aesculus gilmus
07-29-2016, 08:47 AM

Funny stuff. The only population explosion is in the number of vehicles coming through town on US 271 and that's why most of the new businesses open along that stretch. Since no loop will ever be built around Gilmer, tens of thousands of drivers and passengers per day are forced to drive into the bottleneck along that highway every day.

Latest Census estimate for Gilmer was 5,187, up slightly from 4,905 in 2010. http://roadsidethoughts.com/tx/gilmer-xx-upshur-profile.htm

Bob, you left out the other restaurant phenomenon on 271 at the other end of town - Bubba's Fat Burgers & James Brown BBQ. I've heard good things about this eatery which recently moved into a permanent building just past where that new truck stop is being built.

Celina8
07-30-2016, 12:43 PM
Celina will have many of the same foes right along with them as Aubrey, Melissa, Farmersville, Anna, heck even Pilot Point is going to be caught into this suction vortex of growth. The houses that are being built out at Light Farms Developement are planned for 4500 with two of the phases already completed. They fall in the City of Celina but all those homes fall into Prosper School District right now. I think Celina will follow the path of Allen , and Southlake Carroll with just one High School which has been a major factor in their success.

Leopard4Life
07-31-2016, 12:34 PM
Celina will have many of the same foes right along with them as Aubrey, Melissa, Farmersville, Anna, heck even Pilot Point is going to be caught into this suction vortex of growth. The houses that are being built out at Light Farms Developement are planned for 4500 with two of the phases already completed. They fall in the City of Celina but all those homes fall into Prosper School District right now. I think Celina will follow the path of Allen , and Southlake Carroll with just one High School which has been a major factor in their success.

Allen ISD is 29 square miles
Southlake Carroll ISD is 21 square miles
Celina ISD is 95 square miles.

Celina ISD is too large for the single high school system. They can try, but bus routes will eventually approach the 2 hour (one way) mark. The ISD is simply too big for a single high school (9-12) and it's too big for a High School (9-10) and a Sr. High (11-12).

At best they will need to split into 3 mega schools. The growth is still a ways off so hopefully they have a plan in place.

slingshot
08-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Rangers just got a lot better. Picked up Lucroy and Jeffries from the Brewers and Beltran from the Yankees...

arges
08-01-2016, 08:57 PM
They likes to spend us taxpayers money. Don't even get us started with Seguin ISD.

Twirling Time
08-04-2016, 09:34 AM
That story was the biggest waste of time. It's a Celina story just to get a Celina story in the paper. A nothing burger.

It'll be another 8-10 years before Celina gets close to 5A, even if the rate of growth picks up. Right now all the new rooftops are going up in the Prosper ISD part of Celina city limits, so the growth is Prosper's problem.

Coach Elliott's more worried about moving to Division I next time than he is about becoming the next Plano.

d0tc0m
08-04-2016, 10:15 AM
That story was the biggest waste of time. It's a Celina story just to get a Celina story in the paper. A nothing burger.

It'll be another 8-10 years before Celina gets close to 5A, even if the rate of growth picks up. Right now all the new rooftops are going up in the Prosper ISD part of Celina city limits, so the growth is Prosper's problem.

Coach Elliott's more worried about moving to Division I next time than he is about becoming the next Plano.

And I doubt he's lost any sleep over this. Celina will still compete at a high level even in Division I, and I hope Bill is still the one leading the troops when that happens.