PDA

View Full Version : UH coach met with BU officials

Rabid Cougar
07-14-2016, 03:50 PM
You didn't hear that from me.

PurplePop
07-14-2016, 04:21 PM
BU doesn't deserve another great coach from UH. They threw Briles under the bus. I wouldn't go there if I were Herman. No way.

Bosqueville
07-14-2016, 08:19 PM
BU doesn't deserve another great coach from UH. They threw Briles under the bus. I wouldn't go there if I were Herman. No way.
For $5.5 million I bet you would...

bag-o-chips
07-14-2016, 08:27 PM

He deserved what he got and the whole coaching staff should have been as well. He knew all along and BU sold their soul for football!

Weebe
07-14-2016, 10:46 PM
Zero chance Herman goes to Baylor.

Weebe
07-14-2016, 10:48 PM

Briles held more power than any other single person at Baylor.

Every decision made regarding those rape cases were at his direction.

PurplePop
07-14-2016, 11:56 PM
The Pepper Hamilton report was extremely and purposely vague on who was responsible for instituting, quite frankly, b.s. Title IX regulations about things such as counseling. Lack of counseling of alleged victims was a major part of the report. One alleged victim said she didn't want to press charges so the university wasn't notified of the alleged incident and then she complained two years later that she hadn't gotten counseling from the university when she realized she was entitled to it under Title IX. The Okawachu (sp?) incident was very questionable. The university cleared him with its own investigation because the alleged victim had numerous contradicting statements about the alleged assault but a zealous Waco prosecutor got a conviction and a jury gave him probation. NOBODY gets probation in a rape case. It shows you how flimsy the evidence was. Okawachu is vigorously appealing the conviction, even though a new trial could lead to a MUCH harsher sentence. Most rapists would be doing high fives if they got probation. Tevin Elliott was truly a very bad dude who was dismissed rightfully so within weeks of his rape arrest. And, on and on. ESPN raked Baylor over the coals when it isn't even one of the fifteen or so D-I schools under investigation by the federal government for the same types of activities. Baylor panicked because it's a small Christian institution which is much easier for the NCAA to make an example out of than the Alabama's, Oklahoma's, Ohio State's, etc. and they threw Briles under the bus. Plain and simple. I hope they go back to the cellar for many, many years where they belong.

Weebe
07-15-2016, 12:06 AM
The Pepper Hamilton report was purposefully vague because the regents didn't want it to become evidence in a civil suit. Pepper Hamilton was given the instruction that very little should be put in writing and the detailed report back to the BOR was to be verbal only.

Believe me, you, nor any other Baylor or Briles supporters want the detailed findings to ever be made public.

PurplePop
07-15-2016, 07:57 AM
Nothing that I could find that is public justified dumping Briles in my opinion. That's all I can go on. Most D-I head coaches in the Top 25 would be in trouble if their program's dirty laundry went public and was distorted by the media the way Baylor's was. It's a very slippery slope. And, the regents were likely concerned the most about the NCAA cracking down hard on Baylor and a civil suit against Baylor for its administrative failure to implement all of Title IX's stupid guidelines. (The long reach of our federal government.) That's on the president and the AD (who both quietly resigned) not on the head football coach.

big daddy russ
07-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Nothing that I could find that is public justified dumping Briles in my opinion. That's all I can go on. Most D-I head coaches in the Top 25 would be in trouble if their program's dirty laundry went public and was distorted by the media the way Baylor's was. It's a very slippery slope. And, the regents were likely concerned the most about the NCAA cracking down hard on Baylor and a civil suit against Baylor for its administrative failure to implement all of Title IX's stupid guidelines. (The long reach of our federal government.) That's on the president and the AD (who both quietly resigned) not on the head football coach.

Dude, really? Holy crap, can't believe I'm reading this.

The entire administration should to be burned to the ground as far as I'm concerned.

duckhunter
07-15-2016, 01:23 PM

Wow. I don't know if I should laugh, or feel sorry for you. Baylor deserves the death penalty at the minimum. For all the crap Briles has done over the years none of these reports should surprise anyone. He is as big of a POS in coaching as their can be

bag-o-chips
07-16-2016, 05:05 AM
Like I saw on another forum when I see Baylor and Christian posted next to each other just move along. From Dave Bliss to the Rape Scandal there are many skeletons in that big old closet and you can bet old Ken Starr had that key for the rape scandal! Nothing the administration at Baylor could be considered Christian at this juncture! Hope they saved the tarps from Floyd Casey to use in the Bidet on the Brazos!

PurplePop
07-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Wow. I don't know if I should laugh, or feel sorry for you. Baylor deserves the death penalty at the minimum. For all the crap Briles has done over the years none of these reports should surprise anyone. He is as big of a POS in coaching as their can be
You can laugh and feel sorry for me. Whatever floats your boat. You might also want to do more than watch ESPN to get your Briles' news. For instance...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/baylor-alumni-urge-school-to-rethink-firing-of-art-briles-1465932127

I'll go with Drayton McClane's insight anytime.

Rabid Cougar
07-22-2016, 09:42 AM
So if Briles has done nothing wrong, why doesn't he bring the wrath of football gods down on them with a wrongful termination law suit? I know he got his money but reputation is everything in this profession.

PurplePop
07-22-2016, 02:15 PM
So if Briles has done nothing wrong, why doesn't he bring the wrath of football gods down on them with a wrongful termination law suit? I know he got his money but reputation is everything in this profession.

I'm not going into this much detail to be obnoxious, only because I believe Art Briles got railroaded. I could care less about Baylor. I'm a UH Cougar fan. See below (or not):

Briles was owed $40 million and all he had to do was threaten a wrongful termination suit to get paid:

"Baylor University has reached a settlement with former head football coach Art Briles, according to a school regent, a move that heads off Briles’s potential wrongful termination suit that would have exposed thousands of internal records about the college’s investigation of its handling of sexual assault cases."

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/ex-coach-art-briles-rips-baylor-claims-wrongful-termination

As to the Title IX lawsuit against Baylor and Briles, the second paragraph sums it up. This is all about a bunch of stupid Title IX regulations and Baylor's failure to implement them and their fear of sanctions from the NCAA for failure to do so:

"A letter included with the motion filed Thursday states that Briles does not want to settle the case and implies that the school is using Briles as a scapegoat in the ongoing Title IX and sexual assault controversy.

'The conclusion is inescapable that the motive of Baylor University and the Board of Regents was to use its Head Football Coach and the Baylor Athletic Department as a camouflage to disguise and distract from its own institutional failure to comply with Title IX and other federal civil rights laws,' the letter states, reflecting the first public comments Briles has made on the controversy since his termination in May.

'It is equally clear from the actions of Baylor University and the Board of Regents, both in the media and in its oral and written communications with Coach Briles since his wrongful termination, that they have ignored and repeatedly violated the clear duties that they owe under Texas law and by contract to Art Briles.'

Despite being a private school, Baylor is required by the federal Title IX statute to investigate allegations of sexual assault and violence thoroughly and to provide security, counseling services and academic help to those who report assaults. Part of the law's goal is to help keep victims in school.

"If there's a settlement, Art Briles will not be paying anything because he doesn't owe anything," Briles' new attorney, Ernest Cannon of Stephenville, Texas, said in regard to the planned mediation Friday. "I don't want to make it look like Art Briles is going to settle or pay because he doesn't owe anything."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/16257188/fired-coach-art-briles-accuses-baylor-university-wrongful-termination

And, by the way, Briles had lunch with some of his former players the other day, including Seth Russell, who had this to say:

"I know that he's a great character guy and he just got caught in the wrong situation."

That also pretty much sums it up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-baylor-players-heartbroken-by-pepper-hamilton-report-2016-7

bag-o-chips
07-22-2016, 05:20 PM
The delusion that is Baylor continues to grow! Briles just got caught in the wrong situation! That is classic denial if I ever heard it myself!

bag-o-chips
07-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Page 10 at the bottom will tell you why more heads should have rolled as well. JMO

https://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf

PurplePop
07-22-2016, 09:54 PM
Page 10 at the bottom will tell you why more heads should have rolled as well. JMO

https://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf

The wrong head rolled, respectfully. That report is the biggest bunch of gobbledygook you'll ever read.

PurplePop
07-22-2016, 09:59 PM
On a completely different topic, how many posts do you need to get off the JV? Seems like I would have made varsity by now.

Rabid Cougar
07-24-2016, 09:52 AM
If Briles is not responsible why is his son and son-in-law still on the staff. You would think they would be the first to resign.

big daddy russ
07-28-2016, 09:33 PM
On a completely different topic, how many posts do you need to get off the JV? Seems like I would have made varsity by now.

10k will get you there.

FB-fanatic
07-28-2016, 10:16 PM
10k will get you there.

Wow, you've gotta ride a lot of pine for that one...

Macarthur
07-29-2016, 07:36 AM
The wrong head rolled, respectfully. That report is the biggest bunch of gobbledygook you'll ever read.

Are you saying briles should not have been fired?

SaltySixes
07-29-2016, 08:58 AM
Are you saying briles should not have been fired?

Lol you didn't read it!

Macarthur
07-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I read it. Just making sure I understand who you are talking about when you say wrong head was rolled?