PDA

View Full Version : Pitch counts nixed for 17

XMan
07-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Looks like the UIL will NOT implement pitch count restrictions in 2017. Enforcement and figuring out who exactly to punish for those not following the rules was cited as the biggest drawback. I see pitch counts being baseball's version of the concussion dilemma in football. Yes, its great to make a kid sit out and go through the protocol if they are thought to have concussion symptoms, but ultimately, teaching the kids to play WITHOUT GETTING A CONCUSSION is the ultimate goal. Coaches have to teach the kids how to tackle and give/receive contact in the proper way. In the same way, pitch counts are a band aid for a larger problem. Yes, the pitchers dont need to throw 150 pitches in a game or in back to back days etc but the ultimate goal here is to teach the pitchers to throw with proper mechanics so that they are less prone to injury. Having the pitchers participate in a throwing program in which they build up arm strength and continue to be monitored throughout the season on days when they are not pitching is equally important. Having a pitcher come out on his first day from basketball and throw even 80 or so pitches is WAY too many if said pitcher has not been throwing for at least 2 or 3 weeks in advance. Many small schools also have players lift low rep/high percentage weights the same day as high intensity throwing. Thus, the muscle does not have ample recovery time. (48 hrs) Sadly, the smaller you go in classifications, the less likely that there is at least one baseball coach that can teach proper throwing mechanics and/or has any clue about building up an arm and getting it into shape. Many times, the baseball coach(es) are simply football first guys that played some little league or high school ball and have been given the role as baseball coach to get them an extra stipend in the spring. If nothing else, maybe the arm injury discussion will open some eyes and see that there some value in having a "baseball guy" on the coaching staff.

XMan
07-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Correction: Charge me with premature speculation. The day after I typed this, the National Federation mandated that each state organization (UIL) must have a plan in place for 17. So, there will be some sort of pitch count rule. Will be interesting to see what they come up with and how they are going to monitor/enforce the rule, especially at a AA jv game. We shall see.

duckhunter
07-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Correction: Charge me with premature speculation. The day after I typed this, the National Federation mandated that each state organization (UIL) must have a plan in place for 17. So, there will be some sort of pitch count rule. Will be interesting to see what they come up with and how they are going to monitor/enforce the rule, especially at a AA jv game. We shall see.

This new rule should help kids, but IMO it's too late. Arm troubles are on the rise because many of these pitchers are playing year around baseball starting when they are 10 years old. Not to mention add in their pitching coach daddies who no clue about having them limit the amount of throwing they do + teaching the curve ball so young= arm problems in high school.

I wish their was a rule banning curve balls until at least high school

Rabid Cougar
07-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Dear God...... its turning into Little League.