PDA

View Full Version : College Football Pecking Order

FB-fanatic
06-16-2016, 07:02 PM
So someone give me the college pecking order, with a little bit of detail. Walk on, preferred walk on, partial scholarship, full scholarship, practice squad, travel squad, etc. the bigger programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

FB-fanatic
06-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Dogone it, these sponsored apps on mobile Tapatalk. Saw the thread name Find A Girlfriend and picked it, thinking it was a thread from one of you guys..now inbox will be full of chick crap and wife will want to know what the hell is going on!

griff
06-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Dogone it, these sponsored apps on mobile Tapatalk. Saw the thread name Find A Girlfriend and picked it, thinking it was a thread from one of you guys..now inbox will be full of chick crap and wife will want to know what the hell is going on!

Just tell your wife it's Jake from State Farm.

Rabid Cougar
06-17-2016, 12:55 PM
So someone give me the college pecking order, with a little bit of detail. Walk on, preferred walk on, partial scholarship, full scholarship, practice squad, travel squad, etc. the bigger programs.

Two separate pecking orders:

1. Scholarship - FBS schools don't have partial athletic scholarships for football. Teams can have no more than 85 on the team at any one time. They will get first crack at everything just because they are being "paid" to be there.

2. Preferred walk on - Usually promised to be put on scholarship sometime in future. Most of these guys are pretty good and generally much more motivated than even the scholarship guys. Most of the time they are pretty popular with the coaches because they are so highly motivated. However, sometimes they are despised by both scholly and walk-ons because they push the scholarship players and get preferential treatment over normal walk-ons.

3. Walk on - Most D1 schools will make walk-ons "try out" before letting them into the program. They also put some sort of criteria on them, example: must have played in the last year and a half

1. Travel Squad - FBS schools are only allowed to travel a certain number of players. Those numbers are set by their conferences. (Big 12 -70) They will include different number combinations of position players (6 D-linemen, 8 O-linemen, 3 QBS, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 7 DBs, 5 LBs, 2 TEs, 2 kickers etc.)

2. Suit up home game. No limit on numbers that can dress. Schools have different criteria in order to earn the right to suit up and stand on the sideline. They generally post list of those that will suit up on Thursday.

3. Not suit up for home games. Most of the time they are walk-ons

Practice squads are called scout teams in collegiate football. Most all scout teams are made up of red shirt players and walk ons. To be a scholarship player (not a redshirt) and on a scout team is NOT a good thing. You are buried in the depth chart and will probably never play on Saturdays.

FB-fanatic
06-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks Rabid, just what I was looking for.

The lineman Alsup from Lorena on the UT squad did travel to the Baylor game this year as a sophomore, but didn't know his status. This gives me a pretty good idea, plus was wondering how the other spots were set.