PDA

View Full Version : Colorado County Citizen story on coach Mike Bonewald

Scoop27
06-10-2016, 06:53 PM
By Brackston Nutt reporter@coloradocountycitizen.com | 0 comments

Columbus ISD’s new athletic director Mike Bonewald began work June 1.

“I’ve always enjoyed coaching and being a positive impact on our kids. Some people measure success by wins and losses, I judge it by what kind of difference I make in the lives of our athletes,” Bonewald says.

Bonewald spoke with excitement about the future of Cardinal athletics. “I am excited to be here and to try to continue that Cardnial tradition. I want to help bring back the winning days of the 90s,” Bonewald declared. “I know we can get there, but it is going to take our kids working hard and committing themselves to the program,” Bonewald continued.

Bonewald went on to say the program he envisions for the Cardinals will consist of two things, “We have to maintain a positive attitude and give 100 percent effort in everything we do. That is what you are going to see from the Cardinals on the fields and courts.”

“I am really looking forward to working with the Columbus Cardinals’ football team during their strength and speed camp,” Bonewald stated when asked about his roster for next football season.

The camp will last six weeks and started Monday morning at the Christopher Kilpatrick Memorial Center.

“The athletic program isn’t about one individual, it is about functioning as a team. This is not about what Coach Bonewald can do, but what we can all do together,” Bonewald emphasized.

Bonewald served as athletic director at Brazos High School from 2013 to 2016. The football team record during his tenure was 10-19.

Bonewald says his teams set Brazos school records for total offense in 2014 with 4,551 total offense, and 2,463 passing yards in that same season. Bonewald also created the Brazos Youth Sports Program for all students in the district from grades one through six.

Coaching is something that runs in the Bonewald family. Jerry Bonewald, Mike’s father, served as athletic director in Hallettsville from 1983-1993, and also served as athletic director in Poth for 12 years. During his time at those schools, Jerry had his son Mike as one of his athletes.

During Mike’s senior year, Jerry took a coaching position in Cuero and Mike went with his father to play his senior year in Cuero.

“I learned a lot from my dad playing for him in high school. I think everybody looks up to their parents and I certainly did.” Mike says of playing under the guidance of his father.

“I followed in his footsteps going into the coaching profession. I feel my dad did a great job building respect for the Bonewald name, and I am here to try to continue that tradition,” Bonewald explains.

Jerry Bonewald came out of retirement to coach alongside his son when Mike was the offensive coordinator at Boerne Champion in 2008.

When asked what his family thinks of their new city, Bonewald says, “In our eyes Columbus is perfect. It’s the kind of community we want our daughters to be a part of.” Bonewald says he and his wife have always wanted to live in a city with a 4A high school.

Bonewald recalls his familiarity with the legends of Cardinal athletics from his days of playing against the Cardinals in the 1990s. “I remember watching Percy Waddle run track for the Cardinals and play football. I played against Matt and Aaron Schobel. When I went to college I got to play with Columbus Cardinal Reshawn Brown, who rushed for 710 yards in 1998 for the Texas State Bobcats,” Bonewald remembers.

The Cardinals will see their first regular season football action Friday, Aug.19 at 7:30 p.m against Bay City at home.

zebrablue2
06-11-2016, 06:30 AM
Cardinals got a good one, he is all about the kids, many congrats to Mike...

duckhunter
06-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Speaks in 3rd person...

ronwx5x
06-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Speaks in 3rd person...Quick count is 17 I's and 5 we's. Where's the third person? Maybe you were joking and I missed it!