PDA

View Full Version : Illegal pitches in state softball tournament

Scoop27
06-02-2016, 06:28 PM
They've been calling several illegal pitches in the state tournament so far. La Grange's pitcher had four called against her.
These pitchers are not used to strict umpiring in regular season and playoff games

BwdLion73
06-02-2016, 08:19 PM
What are they calling illegal and what is the penalty during the game?

95mustang
06-02-2016, 10:26 PM
What are they calling illegal and what is the penalty during the game?

I only seen 2 illegal pitches called. Not 100% positive what they called illegal. First time Brownwood had runners on 2nd and 3rd. Both advanced a base and ball on batter. The second time no base runners on so ball on the batter.

waterboy
06-03-2016, 08:39 AM
I've read that the pitchers were "bunny hopping". In other words, at least one foot has to be touching the ground at all times during a pitch. It's okay to drag the foot. My daughter is a pitcher, and they called her on it a couple of times this season. The thing is, she even showed the umps the drag marks on the mound. They still saw or "imagined" that she bunny hopped. It takes away from the game, and breaks the pitcher's concentration. It thinks umps need to let it go unless it's obvious. Just my $.02!

BwdLion73
06-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the explanation and congrats to LaGrange. Win State.

panfan
06-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Having spent a lot of time on the bucket, working daughter #2 through HS ranks now for pitching, there are several things they can call IP. First is crow hopping as it is defined in the rules. Bunny hopping is at the dance waterboy!!! Anyway - he defined it correctly as far as the action, one foot must be in contact with the ground. Stepping outside the width of the rubber which is approximately 24" is another they will call IP on. Screwball pitchers will do this to clear their hip more and create a more severe spin back in on a RH batter. They will call IP on quick pitch or not coming together with the hands prior to separating and starting the windup. Rarely less called but occasionally called is side armed pitching. Rule states that the rotation of the arm must come below the hip, and some girls circumvent this particularly on their curve ball. Sidearm pitchers throw nasty curve balls. Overall, they need to call it starting young and all the way through so when or if a pitcher makes it to college ranks, they don't get rung up for IPs because they always got away with it or it wasn't ever called before. More and more collegiate officials are calling IPs, so best to make sure your pitcher is getting right in HS and earlier.

Rabid Cougar
06-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Can always move them back to 56 feet 6 inches and make them throw the ball the right way instead of playing on little league fields.

panfan
06-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Can always move them back to 56 feet 6 inches and make them throw the ball the right way instead of playing on little league fields.

True, but then little Johnny would be wondering why Suzy beat him out of his position and he is riding the pine.:D

Rabid Cougar
06-03-2016, 11:15 AM
True, but then little Johnny would be wondering why Suzy beat him out of his position and he is riding the pine.:D

Fair enough. I had a female second baseman in a TAPPS Baseball game that was damd good. Also grew up with two girls that would have started on any high school team if they had been allowed. One of them would have probably started at Quarterback on the football team.

Rabid Cougar
06-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I've always had a problem with grown women (college and professional) playing on 60 foot bases and 220 fences. 13 year old boys play on full size baseball fields.

panfan
06-03-2016, 11:31 AM
I think the short base paths is what helps keep the speed of the game high and different than baseball. you aren't going to cover a bunt if you are playing 90 foot base lines, and a lot of softball is small ball. For the college and higher ranks, I wouldn't mind seeing the fence moved back to 250 or 275'.

Rabid Cougar
06-03-2016, 11:49 AM
you aren't going to cover a bunt if you are playing 90 foot base lines.

They do it everyday.

panfan
06-03-2016, 01:54 PM
They do it everyday.
Well - that's true - for some reason I compartmentalized the two and put the defense at 90' and the offense at 60 running to first. might end up being a wierd shaped field. None the less, I think what makes fastpitch fun to watch is the speed of the game, and part of that is the reduced infield. A slapper will run out short infield hopper 50% or more of the time and that to me at least is exciting to see. But then again, I have two girls and have spent a lot of time watching softball. My son gave up baseball beginning his fish year to focus on football.

waterboy
06-06-2016, 08:48 AM
"Crow hopping"? Sounds like something a one-legged person would do.:D I guess I've always called it bunny-hopping, even when I coached for several years.

Another thing that one can be called for on an IP is touching the glove twice. Once you are on the rubber you can only touch the glove once. This one is a little harder to explain. My daughter had to correct this little routine she had. She would have the ball in the glove, step on the rubber, bring the ball out, then touch the glove again when starting her wind-up.

Emerson1
06-07-2016, 08:53 AM
I've read that the pitchers were "bunny hopping". In other words, at least one foot has to be touching the ground at all times during a pitch. It's okay to drag the foot. My daughter is a pitcher, and they called her on it a couple of times this season. The thing is, she even showed the umps the drag marks on the mound. They still saw or "imagined" that she bunny hopped. It takes away from the game, and breaks the pitcher's concentration. It thinks umps need to let it go unless it's obvious. Just my $.02!

She still could have hopped on those. Unless she wipes away the drag mark after every pitch.