PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny-Salado Game 1 Baseball Story from Brazosport Facts

Scoop27
06-02-2016, 09:02 AM
From Brazosport Facts
MUMFORD — As the ace of the Salado Eagle pitching staff, senior Cody Wolf showed his wares Wednesday in Game 1 of the best-of-three Class 4A Region IV final series with a 3-0 shutout of the Sweeny Bulldogs at the Mumford Baseball Complex.

Wolf’s impressive performance was nearly matched on the mound by Sweeny junior Ty Ringo.

“Ringo pitched well enough to win, he did everything we asked him to do,” Sweeny coach David Luster said. “But you don’t score, you are not going to win, no matter how well you pitch.”

Salado (28-11) takes a 1-0 lead in the series as it will resume with a 5 p.m. first pitch Friday in Mumford. Game 3 will follow 30 minutes after Game 2’s conclusion if necessary.

The Bulldogs (32-7) backs are against the wall, but the feeling is nothing new for his team, Luster said.

“We’ve been here before. We lost the first one to Taylor and we came back and double-dipped them in Game 2 and 3,” Luster said “I like our chances. I like our chances better than I like their chances.”

Trailing 3-0 in the top of the sixth, the Bulldogs made it interesting after pinch-hitter Wes Folse singled down the first-base line with one out. Mikey Wetch (2-for-3) followed with a single to almost the same spot to put runners on the corners.

With the top of the lineup coming up for Sweeny, a balk was called on Wolf, with Folse scoring and Wetch going down to second base. However, after a conference by the umpires, the balk was revoked and everyone returned to their original positions.

“It was a good call, and I was glad to get it, but it was a bad call from the get go,” Luster said of the balk. “They made the right call.”

Cody Erikson (0-for-3, walk) then grounded out to Wolf for the second out. After a walk to Jacob Mathis loaded the bases, Wolf struck out Shawn Kelley to end the game.

“It is the region final and we did not execute,” Luster said. “Their guy made pitches and he just beat us. He is an all-state pitcher and he showed why tonight.”

The Bulldogs stranded nine base runners in the game and managed just four hits while striking out seven times against Wolf.

Wolf and Ringo went at it through 5 1/2 innings with the only run going to the Eagles in the bottom of the third.

Preston Paine started the frame with an infield hit up the middle. Ringo then walked No-9 hitter Phillip Ellis with one out to put runners on first and second.

Then, with two outs and runners on second and third, Drew Dobbins took a wild pitch, scoring Paine to give Salado a 1-0 lead.

While Ringo was using his defense to his advantage, Wolf was throwing wicked stuff by the Sweeny batters.

“He was pitching us backward, throwing fast balls, curve ball counts, fast ball counts and he just beat us,” Luster said.