PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny-Robstown Game story from Brazosport Facts

Scoop27
05-26-2016, 11:38 AM
From The Brazosport Facts

VICTORIA — Facing a stadium full of Robstown fans, the Sweeny Bulldogs came from behind Wednesday at the University of Houston-Victoria’s Riverside Stadium to take Game 1 of their Class 4A Region IV semifinal series, 3-1, over the Cotton Pickers.

It was a game in which the Bulldogs (30-5) had to dig deep to win, Sweeny coach David Luster said.

“They just keep grinding, grinding and grinding and find a way to find an opportunity to get the job done tonight,” Luster said.

The series switches to Coastal Bend College in Beeville for a 4 p.m. first pitch Saturday. Game 3 will follow 30 minutes after its conclusion if necessary.

It was an intense matchup that went to the bottom of the sixth tied at 1, as Sweeny starter Shawn Kelley and Robstown’s Jessie Ray Garcia battled it out on the mound.

But the Bulldogs strung together one final rally as Jacob Mathis (2-for-3) led off with a single to right field to start the sixth after the ball went under both the first and second baseman’s gloves.

Garcia, who walked only four batters all season, gave Kelley a free pass for his second walk of the night. Dax McCleary loaded the bases for the Bulldogs with one out as Garcia issued another free base.

Then freshman Quinton Martin lifted a long fly ball to left field for a sacrifice fly to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead. After a double steal, Wes Folse walked to load the bases once again.

Pinch-hitter Elijah Smith came up next and hit an infield roller to third that was misplayed by the third baseman to score Dylan Pate, who was running for Kelley.

“We’ve played a tough schedule just for this reason,” Luster said. “We’ve been in close ball games with real good teams and just find a way to grind and put balls in play. Things just keep working out for us.”

Kelley took to the mound in the top of the seventh and for the fifth time in the game he sat the Cotton Pickers down in order.

The senior pitcher was shaky in the first inning, but cleaned up his control and battled with Garcia pitch for pitch the rest of the way.

“We had a scouting report that they couldn’t hit sliders away and off speed (pitches), but in that first inning, I let the fans get to me and I was trying to blow fastballs by them,” Kelley said. “Coach Luster and (catcher) Wes (Folse) calmed me down and just told me to stick to the plan to mix it up more and let the defense do the work.”

The pep talk worked, as Kelley sat down 11 batters in a row and wound up with eight strikeouts and four hits allowed.

“Shawn, I don’t know even what to say about the kid, I don’t know if he is human,” Luster said. “I keep thinking at some point the madness has to stop, but he just keeps on hitting doubles and pitching the way he does. I don’t know how he does it.”

Robstown (28-7) took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first on a triple from designated hitter Florencio Serrano to score Ryan Garza with two outs. Garza started the game with a single to center field.

The Bulldogs tied it up in the third frame. The rally was started by Mikey Wetch, who led-off the inning with a single to right field. After Wetch moved to second base on a wild pitch, Kelley came through with a two-out RBI double to the gap in left field.

Garcia was no slouch for the Cotton Pickers, finishing with 11 strikeouts, four walks and five hits.

“We just grinded and were pressing to much at the plate,” Luster said. “Third time through the order we saw what he was trying to do to us, but we took advantage of some mistakes.”

The Bulldogs could face more of those outside pitches Saturday, Luster said.

“From what I’ve heard they have the same philosophy with their pitchers and the other kid is a freshman, so I am sure he will be up for this game,” Luster said. “We need to be more relaxed at the plate and stop winning the ball game in the first inning.

“We have several at-bats, so let’s just grind it out.”