PDA

View Full Version : UIL State Title Games Returning to AT&T Stadium

d0tc0m
05-26-2016, 10:14 AM
I've been told by a media friend this will be confirmed sometime today. Not a big surprise, but still newsworthy.

Rocket Man
05-26-2016, 10:50 AM
I've been told by a media friend this will be confirmed sometime today. Not a big surprise, but still newsworthy.

I get the "Cowboy ATT Stadium" experience thing, but I sure did like it when schools would choose a geographically 1/2 way place to play because a lot of them ended up in Waco.

But given the choice between Arlington and "The Planet Houston"; I'll take Arlington every time.

d0tc0m
05-26-2016, 11:29 AM
I get the "Cowboy ATT Stadium" experience thing, but I sure did like it when schools would choose a geographically 1/2 way place to play because a lot of them ended up in Waco.

But given the choice between Arlington and "The Planet Houston"; I'll take Arlington every time.

Agreed. I get the experience. I get the convenience of a full docket of games in one location. I get the TV stuff. But something about the experience was lost for me in the single site switch. My favorite Celina title games were the ones played at a neutral site when we were the only games scheduled for the day. Pregame and post game experiences were much better in those games, in my opinion.

d0tc0m
05-26-2016, 11:30 AM
It has been made official by the UIL, by the way. Just read online.

cougartino
05-26-2016, 11:34 AM
I hate more DFW folks didn't come to Houston. I know fewer DFW teams played, but Houston folks travel even when we don't have many dogs in the race, and besides, it's high school championship football. C'mon and support the kids!

Rocket Man
05-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Agreed. I get the experience. I get the convenience of a full docket of games in one location. I get the TV stuff. But something about the experience was lost for me in the single site switch. My favorite Celina title games were the ones played at a neutral site when we were the only games scheduled for the day. Pregame and post game experiences were much better in those games, in my opinion.

I watched the game y'all played against Liberty Hill at Baylor's old stadium (which is now a pile of debris), but I don't remember what year that was.......I think LH won the game, but I think the score was very close.

d0tc0m
05-26-2016, 12:05 PM
I watched the game y'all played against Liberty Hill at Baylor's old stadium (which is now a pile of debris), but I don't remember what year that was.......I think LH won the game, but I think the score was very close.

That was 2006. Oddly enough, that was one of the more fun title games I've attended, from a fan perspective. We arrived at Floyd Casey early - as did all the Celina and LH fans - and had a blast tailgating before the game. Me and OrangeDefense (doesn't post on here anymore) then went and had a meet and greet with a lot of the LH fans. Super nice folks. Great atmosphere, great game. Wish it would've been a better outcome for the Bobcats.

LH won that game on a FG with a few seconds left, 22-19. The two best teams in the state in the old 3A going at it, and it didn't disappoint. You could've played that game 10 times and it probably would've been just as close each time with the two teams splitting the series, 5-5.

coach
05-26-2016, 12:20 PM
Thanks the Lord it is no longer in the armpit of Texas.

speedbump
05-26-2016, 03:40 PM
So much for the UILs rotating lie. Greed wins again.

Txbroadcaster
05-26-2016, 11:22 PM
So much for the UILs rotating lie. Greed wins again.

How is it a lie? If Houston last year..rotating would mean a different place this year. And it is not just greed, the cost was cheaper in Dallas. That is being prudent not just greedy

speedbump
05-27-2016, 08:26 AM
How is it a lie? If Houston last year..rotating would mean a different place this year. And it is not just greed, the cost was cheaper in Dallas. That is being prudent not just greedy

Yea, and it would mean a different place after this year too but it's not. It's back to Jerrys carnival in 2017. You can call it "prudent " but I don't live with my head in the sand. As long as the UIL bases it's decisions on money,don't look under the table if you want to remain naive.

Aesculus gilmus
05-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Baylor's old stadium (which is now a pile of debris)

Gilmer lost two state championship games there, so I really enjoyed watching this. I may watch it a few more times. https://youtu.be/UZx7AbsKFb0

Txbroadcaster
05-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Yea, and it would mean a different place after this year too but it's not. It's back to Jerrys carnival in 2017. You can call it "prudent " but I don't live with my head in the sand. As long as the UIL bases it's decisions on money,don't look under the table if you want to remain naive.

Yes my head is in the sand..you are right Jerry Jones is taking money under table from UIL or vice versa smh

Rocket Man
05-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Gilmer lost two state championship games there, so I really enjoyed watching this. I may watch it a few more times. https://youtu.be/UZx7AbsKFb0

My son and I went to one of those games......cold cold cold windy windy windy.......against Liberty Hill I think.

One of the coldest/windiest games I've ever gone to.

Yoe_09
05-27-2016, 10:26 PM

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TP843hMlWw

We played in Mansfield in 2010, Arlington from 2012-2014, and then Houston this past year.

I personally like the high school stadium atmosphere for state championship games, but Mansfield was no where big enough for that game. Most Yoe fans will tell you they like AT&T better due to the fact we won three in a row there and then lost in Houston after losing our RB in the 2nd.

Overall, AT&T is the better venue. It has been a second home to us and we are looking to be back there in December. I do like the idea of it being rotated between the three major stadiums.

WOS87
05-28-2016, 02:28 AM
Meh.. We've played two championship games in Dallas, two in Houston and two in between.. doesn't matter to me. Playing in Dallas will stop the whining when the Region III and IV teams rule again.