PDA

View Full Version : Tolleson has GOT to go...

slingshot
05-17-2016, 11:56 PM
That is all.

waterboy
05-18-2016, 09:15 AM
He most definitely needs to be moved out of the closer role. He has lost his confidence completely. A closer has to have a certain mentality, and Tolleson doesn't have it, and I don't think he ever has had it, to be honest. He's been successful because he's a talented pitcher. I think he needs to be in spot relief or a setup guy if he gets his confidence back. I say either Bush or Dyson should be the closer.

slingshot
05-18-2016, 12:04 PM
May still be too soon for Bush though he has the best stuff... I think either Dyson or Diekman.

d0tc0m
05-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Dyson has the best stuff, in my opinion. Upper 90s fastball, an absolutely unhittable sinker - when it's on - and good enough offspeed.

Bush may grow into a backend guy, and he certainly has the electric arm and ability. The ball seems to jump out of his hand. But for my money, I'd slot Dyson in the closer role. He's tough, mentally, and he seems to want those big moments. Your closer has to have that mindset.

slingshot
05-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Dyson has the best stuff, in my opinion. Upper 90s fastball, an absolutely unhittable sinker - when it's on - and good enough offspeed.

Bush may grow into a backend guy, and he certainly has the electric arm and ability. The ball seems to jump out of his hand. But for my money, I'd slot Dyson in the closer role. He's tough, mentally, and he seems to want those big moments. Your closer has to have that mindset.Agree.

lostaussie
05-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Tolleson was just moved from closer role

waterboy
05-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Tolleson was just moved from closer role

Yep, and Dyson is the likely predecessor. I'm glad to see Tolleson demoted. I never really was impressed by his mental toughness, and he didn't have nearly enough 1-2-3 innings. It's seemed like he always allowed the other team back in the game. He never made me feel like the game was safe, and a true closer is supposed to make a team feel that way.

d0tc0m
05-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Yep, and Dyson is the likely predecessor. I'm glad to see Tolleson demoted. I never really was impressed by his mental toughness, and he didn't have nearly enough 1-2-3 innings. It's seemed like he always allowed the other team back in the game. He never made me feel like the game was safe, and a true closer is supposed to make a team feel that way.

All closers make me nervous for some reason. And the only closer the Rangers ever faced that made me feel hopeless was Rivera. But, that's the greatest of all time in that role. He made a lot of people/teams feel that way.

That said, I just read that Dyson was moved into the closer role. I think he'll excel. He just has more of a bulldog mentality than Tolleson. Still like Tolly, though. I think he had good enough stuff to be an effective setup man, or spot closer, or potentially 2-3 late innings guy.

waterboy
05-19-2016, 08:49 AM
All closers make me nervous for some reason. And the only closer the Rangers ever faced that made me feel hopeless was Rivera. But, that's the greatest of all time in that role. He made a lot of people/teams feel that way.

That said, I just read that Dyson was moved into the closer role. I think he'll excel. He just has more of a bulldog mentality than Tolleson. Still like Tolly, though. I think he had good enough stuff to be an effective setup man, or spot closer, or potentially 2-3 late innings guy.

I agree. Tolleson has definite talent, and once he gets his confidence back he will be effective in whatever role he is put in. I never felt like he was a "closer" type of guy.