PDA

View Full Version : Newton 1 Jasper 0

purplethug
10-21-2002, 06:20 PM
Jasper cheated

mojjo_1
10-21-2002, 06:28 PM
It took 3 days and that's the best you could come up with. I wondered if you would come back for crow dinner. Forget Jasper and focus on Kirbyville you might beat them.

purplethug
10-21-2002, 06:39 PM
mojjo_1:
It took 3 days and that's the best you could come up with. I wondered if you would come back for crow dinner. Forget Jasper and focus on Kirbyville you might beat them.Dude for one im focused as i can get on Kirbyville. For two im just informing you that Jasper did cheat. Jasper played two unelegible players, and that is called cheating. And guess what theres a law against that. So the game was givin to Newton 1 Jasper 0

"Newton 6-0"

ThaRealBulldog
10-21-2002, 06:44 PM
You lost

Pudlugger
10-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Whoa! Is there a story here or is this just some bs? If so let's here it. If not, well, just move on fella.

Pudlugger
10-21-2002, 06:50 PM
Whoa! eek! Is there a story here or is this just some bs? If so let's here it. If not, well, just move on fella. :rolleyes:

The One
10-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Is there any truth to this?>?

mojjo_1
10-21-2002, 06:57 PM
If you hadn't taken a retest you would have been inelegible. If you really are the player I think you are you better hit the books.

Gobbla2001
10-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Alrighty thuggy, who were these two players and where did you get your information from?

First, they will not reward you the win, they'll just chalk up an L for Jasper for each game they 'cheated' in... The only time you are rewarded the win is if you were the last team to lose to the cheating team DURING THE PLAYOFFS (example: '98 Katy situation)...

Bulldog92
10-21-2002, 07:06 PM
You better start coming up with some proof there, pal. Otherwise your a$$ better get ROM'd immediately. It's wrong to come on here and throw rumors out like this. It makes me mad that you would even bring something like this up, true or not. :mad: :mad:

Gobbla2001
10-21-2002, 07:07 PM
Yah, proof would be a good thing to see...

How bout it thuggy, what are the players names, who is your source, and how do we reach them/it/whatever?

Bulldog92
10-21-2002, 07:13 PM
If that did happen (I'm not suggesting either way), some heads better roll in Jasper, too. There's too many ways to catch it and there's no excuse for it. If it didn't, then you can't go any lower than our friend Purplethug has. If that isn't true, you better be the one to fess up. :mad:

OldSchoolBulldog
10-21-2002, 07:13 PM
purplethug:

mojjo_1:
It took 3 days and that's the best you could come up with. I wondered if you would come back for crow dinner. Forget Jasper and focus on Kirbyville you might beat them.Dude for one im focused as i can get on Kirbyville. For two im just informing you that Jasper did cheat. Jasper played two unelegible players, and that is called cheating. And guess what theres a law against that. So the game was givin to Newton 1 Jasper 0

"Newton 6-0"My goodness, don't you have any sense of pride. Newton loss the game. Handle it like a man. Don't be a poor loser, it does not become you.

Both of these teams played their hearts out on friday night. Don't injury Newton's reputation by acting like this.

numberonefan
10-21-2002, 07:21 PM
The Jasper-Newton game was probably the best I've ever seen. However, at the Newton I.S.D. school board meeting tonight, it was announced that Jasper did indeed play 2 ineligible players. Hopefully, Jasper will get their problems ironed out so there will be two state champions from this district!

Bulldog92
10-21-2002, 07:21 PM
Will you guys in Jasper check this out? It is worrisome that it even comes up...

Bulldog92
10-21-2002, 07:23 PM
Wow. :confused:

ThaRealBulldog
10-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Listen man dont act like your in 3rd grade and lost a kickball game. Its over Jasper won bottom line, get on with your season.

<small>[ October 21, 2002, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: ThaRealBulldog ]</small>

Gobbla2001
10-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Okay, so it was discussed at a board meeting, I can believe that... But I would like to see it in writing or something...

So, if this is true, were the two players of any importance (though to the UIL it doesn't matter)? And even if they weren't a factor, the Jasper coaching staff must work on their communication skills with their players' teachers...

You can't afford something like this come playoffs!

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 07:58 PM
It was one player who played on two kick off plays his efforts made no difference in the outcome of the game. And I can assure you that if the coaching staff had any idea he would not have played. And the computer system that handles the grades for the district was down on Friday, the reportcards did not go out til today. NM

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 07:59 PM
Also the only thing it changes is that Jasper will have to settle for a State Championship with out haveing a District Title. BIG DEAL!!!!

Reveille
10-21-2002, 08:04 PM
Confirmed, Jasper did play an inelligible player on the kickoff team. The teacher came out of the stands supposedly and advised the coach the kid had a 69 average and asked why he was suited up playing.
Now, the coaches got the grades on Monday. You explain it to me. How could this happen. What a bonehead mistake.

numberonefan
10-21-2002, 08:11 PM
Well, if he played on kickoffs--he got a pretty good amount of playing time:-/

<small>[ October 21, 2002, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: numberonefan ]</small>

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 08:15 PM
Coaches got the grades this Monday, as in today the computer system was down on Friday. Not making excuses just stating the facts. But like I said earlier it really doesnt matter, everyone knows who won the game on the field, and Jasper will make the playoffs even with the loss. I just feel sorry for the 3 shcools in district who have not played Jasper yet!!

Reveille
10-21-2002, 08:21 PM
Last Monday, October 14, 2002, the teacher in service day. They let it go four almost five days without double checking to make sure everybody is elligible?

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 08:27 PM
No Reveille that is incorrect.

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 08:28 PM
No Reveille that is incorrect.

eagle_fan
10-21-2002, 08:33 PM
all i wanna say is jasper has a hellova team.was a bad deal for them and they cant get beat in 3a..and yes it is true

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks eagle fan now if we can get past all of this and Jasper and Newton bring 2 State trophies home to the piney woods.

Bulldog92
10-21-2002, 08:40 PM
I would hope that Jasper's administration would do something about this. It won't have an effect on Jasper's playoff hopes, but our image is very important to us and we want to do things the RIGHT way. All of those with Jasper ties/allegiances will surely agree with me on this. There is absolutely no excuse for this. If that kid was hanging by a thread and he himself knew it, he should have gone to his coaches and asked to be held out so that he wouldn't chance hurting his team. I'm sure they would have respected his wishes and done so. Maybe I sound a little naive about this whole thing, but I really don't care. We cannot allow these kinds of mistakes. Something must be done...

mojjo_1
10-21-2002, 08:48 PM
The player had an incomplete on wed. the computer was down on friday and nobody check with the teacher friday. The player played on 2 kickoffs before the teacher notice and told the coaches. He didn't play the second half. If that's cheating so be it. I believe there's another meeting tomorrow nothing is final.

kepdawg
10-21-2002, 08:52 PM
92, I'm with you! Fortunately, it won't affect the big picture, but the admin needs to come down hard on someone!

mojjo_1
10-21-2002, 08:56 PM
Does anybody know of this happening before and what was the ruling? I believe it will go before the District commitee and then a uil review or appeal. I know what happened with Katy and West Orange, any other examples

whatusay2
10-21-2002, 08:57 PM
I REALLY hope we don't have to forfeit a game that we decisively won. What a shame...You know if your grades aren't up to par. That player should be kicked off the team, in my opinion, for risking the entire season for the team. What about the second ineligible player?

whatusay2
10-21-2002, 09:00 PM
Mojjo, if I remember correctly, in 1992, West Orange didn't even go to the playoffs because of their grade mishap. I thought they had to forfeit all of their district games? Correct me if I'm wrong. What happened to Katy?

mojjo_1
10-21-2002, 09:01 PM
From what I learned there was only 1 player involved.

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Why does the administration need to come down on someone. And then who the kid for not being smart? The technology dept. for the computers being down? The coach for making an honest mistake? The principal for not double checking the roster before kickoff? The teacher for not checking the roster and telling the coach when she/he knew the computers were down?
There was a mistake made with a multitude places where the blame can be put. and most people hae gotten past it. The only place it will live for ever will be on the internet, where no one knows the whole story. I know one thing i bet the team will be past it and move on towards their goal of a State Championship. They know who won the game.

Bulldog92
10-21-2002, 09:05 PM
I could see a very slim possibility of Jasper getting out of this due to the computer systems being down, but why didn't the teacher touch base with the staff before the game started? That question will surely come up and the teacher is just as much at fault for this as anyone else, in my opinion. The administration, teachers and staff should have realized that this could happen and had a procedure for communication in place. Hindsight is 20/20, but this is so uncalled for that it isn't funny...

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 09:08 PM
There was just one kid and it will effect only this one game. It has already gone to the district commitee. And the game was declared a forfeit by Jasper. Dont think there will be an appeal.

kepdawg
10-21-2002, 09:08 PM
I believe that only games in which ineligible players were involved would be forfeited. This would drop Jasper to 5-2, 1-1 in district. It shoudn't affect games not yet played. Worst case, Jasper is 0-7 right now. The 'dogs should win the next 3, make the playoffs as the D1 representative and then shoot for the state championship. It is possible they could end up 8-7 state champions!

mojjo_1
10-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Katy had to forfiet a playoff game to a team they beat in the semi-finals because of an ineligble player. I don't know why he was ineligble, I can't remember maybe someone else does. With WOS the player played all season before it was discovered. It went before the district and was upheld by the UIL

kepdawg
10-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Perhaps, you are correct that there are too many people to blame to "come down hard" on someone. Why should they? The integrity of the program. I have no problem letting it go, but I simply believe that a coaching staff should know who is and who isn't eligible at all times. If the computers are down, find out from the teachers. If the teacher doesn't know for certain that a kid is eligible, don't play the kid!

Bulldog92
10-21-2002, 09:13 PM
I agree with some of what you're saying southern_thunder and respect your opinion, but there has to be a fool-proof system to ensure that these things can't happen. Systems go down all the time. You and I are prepared in our lives when that happens. They should be as well.

mojjo_1
10-21-2002, 09:22 PM
I heard thru the grapevine Jasper will appeal.The UIL will make the final decision. Jasper needs to take care of business the rest of the year. It was an honest mistake and Jasper will get past it.This ought fire Jasper up friday night.

southern_thunder
10-21-2002, 09:27 PM
Your right mojjo1 i feel sorry for the remaining teams on Jasper's district schedule, I am afraid they will feel the wrath of the Bulldogs, they will never know what hit them!!!!!

lion52
10-21-2002, 09:29 PM
I believe the integrity of the program was upheld by turning themselves in. Coach Lauve is one of the most honest and honourable men you will ever meet. Mr. Ratcliff is a totally honest principal that would never knowingly violate a rule. The teacher is an outstanding teacher who spends hours working extra with her students to help them succeed. If a mistake was made, it was an honest mistake. Who hasn't made a mistake at work? The difference is ours are not talked about on the internet or printed in the paper. Let the district comittee make their decision then move on. It is obvious no one would intentionally violate a rule for a player that only played on 2 kickoffs.

Bulldog92
10-21-2002, 09:29 PM
I agree with you completely. They will be a mad, determined football team the rest of the season. This might be a blessing in disguise. I agree that this was an honest mistake and hope that everyone involved will learn from it and make sure that it never happens again. Cheating is done intentionally and I don't believe that we have, so I would hope not to read that on this board if the decision/appeal doesn't go in Jasper's favor...

the strength of the eagle
10-21-2002, 09:35 PM
It really doesn't matter if the computers were down or not. It is the players fault for failing in the first place. Therefore, he is an ineligible
player on the team. And it is the coachs fault too for not checking on there players.

kepdawg
10-21-2002, 09:40 PM
lion, you are correct that Jasper maintained its integrity by turning themselves in. I suppose I am worried about the wrong people. Most people won't remember that Jasper turned themselves in. Most will remember "Jasper Cheated." I just wish that weren't the case.

whatusay2
10-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Well, people remember what they want to remember. And, if it makes some people feel better to "think" Jasper cheated, let them. We know who won on the football field, and so do they. That's why it hurts them so much. LOL! Let's move on...

j_dog
10-21-2002, 11:38 PM
Like Duckbutter said on the Kirbyville-Newton thread, only Jasper can beat Jasper. And now we did it!!! Watch out Diboll, here we come! It won't happen again.

Birdman
10-21-2002, 11:59 PM
This was no doubt an honest mistake. However there seems to be a flaw in the Jasper grade check system. Most schools have a manually written failure list that is turned into the principal when grades are submitted. This allows a failure list to be generated even before computers print the report cards. Fortunately this should not effect the playoffs as it did Katy a few years back. I am sure Jasper will immediately patch the holes in their grade reporting system to keep this from occurring again.

St. Ivender
10-22-2002, 06:59 AM
David lines up against Goliath every week. He can't be expected to slay the giant every time especially when he drops his five smooth stones on the ground. Jasper has scoreboard but they cheated. Eagles rule. Curtis is God.

sinton66
10-22-2002, 07:23 AM
Ok, enough is enough! Jasper in no way cheated here. You folks in Newton need to get on with your season. You got handily spanked by Jasper and you're kinda sore because of it. Get over it.

BigDaddy
10-22-2002, 07:54 AM
You know someone somewhere always has to belittle someone. It never fails. Jasper cheated? Get a grip. The player in question was a special teams player who was on 2 plays and he didn't contribute to either play. The bottom line is I am upset that the incident even took place to begin with. The players that have worked their tails off, especially the seniors, now have to give away a game to a team who willingly will admit had their butts handed to them by a better team. The school and administration need to be put in check for allowing this to happen. You don't blame the mailroom clerk when the corporation goes bankrupt. Coach Lauve confirmed this morning that this is not a rumor. :mad:

Reveille
10-22-2002, 08:18 AM
southern_thunder:
No Reveille that is incorrect.Thunder, I stand corrected. My source told me the incorrect date. With all being said and done, I hope Jasper will implement a manual system now.
The tragedy of the whole thing is that the team has to give up a game that they worked so hard to win. That is life though. Now, they need to put this behind them and continue to role. The goal of a state championship is still intact, barring another blunder. Go Dawgs!!

duckbutter
10-22-2002, 09:09 AM
The news made me sick when I heard it at the meeting last night. Newton has no right to be proud of a win because we all know who really won that game. I feel sorry for the kids that busted their butts the week before the game and left everything they had on the field of battle. However it could have been worse. What it had been a playoff game, the season would have been over without Jasper proving their potential. Like I said earlier, Only Jasper can beat Jasper.

FBmania
10-22-2002, 09:43 AM
It's a tough blow to Jasper but if it's an honest mistake so be it. Jasper won by 25, surely this one player didn't make that much difference. As for Newton you are a great team in your own right, don't ruin it by whining that Jasper cheated. Accept it for what it is, a mistake. Be gracious and move on. Crowing about 6-0 because of a mistake when you were beat handily just really doesen't mean much. Both teams move on and keep your eyes on the prize!!!

<small>[ October 22, 2002, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: FBmania ]</small>

Jason1725
10-22-2002, 10:28 AM
After hearing what happened I think this would have happened anywhere. Now, I have a new respect for the coaches at Newton who have been nothing but class during this unfortunate event. I know some of you bitter Newton fans feel all warm and tingly inside as evident by your idiotic posts of Jasper cheated. That was not the case at all, like I said this could have happened anywhere and it's a shame it happened here. If getting a win in this cheesy manner makes you giddy with joy then you should get out more. The bottom line is Newton won by technicality and will always have an asterisk by this years District Championship. Everyone at the game knows who won, so talk till your brain fries from over use but you know deep down you got blasted 45-20.

Chris Hart
10-22-2002, 12:49 PM
There will be no district championship for Jasper this year, but this is probably a blessing in disguise. Jasper should be really focused now on their goal of a state championship. Jasper will be on a mission from here out, even more so than what they were. That is really scary for Div. 1 participants.

EagleMama
10-22-2002, 02:24 PM
As the mother of a special teams player, I am offended by the comments that are being posted about this "special teams" player that didn't contribute to the game. I know that it took the whole Jasper team to beat Newton friday night, because I was there and I watched every down that was played. And also I'll have you know that all of Newton is not jumping for joy over what happened. It is a terrible thing to happen to such an awesome team as Jasper. They don't deserve to lose in this way. You guys need to be careful what you say about those players that are not the "stars" of the game. Go Eagles Go !!!

Reveille
10-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Well said Mama

Jason1725
10-22-2002, 06:13 PM
Hey we are not dissing special teams at all. When I say he didn't contribute I mean he didn't make the tackle or or contibuted to the play in any way.

EagleMama
10-22-2002, 11:04 PM
I just think that even the player on the sideline matters to the team.
Even the player on a kickoff that doesn't make a big tackle or run the ball for a touchdown contributed to the play.
Some of you guys made this player sound like he didn't matter. Sure sounds like the UIL thought he does. Sorry boys... No pass no play......