PDA

View Full Version : Michael Mason from Daingerfield is new Danbury football coach-AD

Scoop27
05-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Don't know how long ago when this went down but Michael Mason from Daingerfield is new Danbury football coach-AD

From Monday's The Brazosport Facts
Hitting the ground running, Michael Mason doesn’t want to waste a moment as he gets acquainted with the community, staff and Panther athletes and takes over as the new Danbury ISD athletics director and head football coach.

Mason’s first day is Tuesday.

“I am just blessed to be given this opportunity, but I need to be around and get to know a good group of kids and their culture,” Mason said.

Selected out of 75 applicants Thursday night, Mason is leaving a Daingerfield program where’s he’s been the last 13 years as an assistant football coach.

“I’ve been asked by some by fellow coaches and friends why I wanted to come to Danbury, I just tell them that after praying about it, the Lord wanted me here,” Mason said. “I applied on purpose because I knew what I was doing — my heart told me to apply here. I love a challenge and I accepted that the good Lord set the direction for me. We’ve won a lot where I am coming from, but I know the lord has pointed me in the right direction to Danbury.”

In the coaching ranks since 1992, Mason is a 1988 graduate from Omaha Pewitt.

A football player and powerlifter in high school, Mason headed to Iowa Lakes Community College to play football. From there, he transferred to Dakota State University where the former linebacker/running back finished his playing career.

Mason started his coaching life at Madison High School in South Dakota, where he spent the 1992 season coaching running backs. After one season, he left and landed at Omaha Central High School in Nebraska, where he only coached for one season.

Then Mason headed back to the Lone Star state and his alma mater, where he coached from 1994 to 1999.

Then, Mason made a daring move.

“It was crazy moving over, and I caught a lot of flak for it from my former classmates because Daingerfield is one of our big rivals,” Mason said. “In fact, some of those former classmates didn’t talk to me for awhile.”

From 1999 to this year, Mason has been coaching and teaching at Daingerfield.

“He’s been a part of five state championships, one of which was out of state,” Danbury ISD Superintendent Greg Anderson said. “Three of those championships are from Daingerfield. As a former powerlifter in high school, he set two state records.

“He’s always looking for a challenge and looking to improve himself and move up,” he said. “He was ready to take the next step, and what really impressed the committee was that he is full of energy and excitement.”

Mason replaces Jeff Whitehall and becomes the 21st head coach since 1953, when Danbury converted over from six-man football.

Last year, the Panthers were 2-8 in district and 4-18 overall under Whitehall.

“I bring my enthusiasm and my knowledge of a game that I love,” Mason said. “I am grateful for being around some good leaders and have picked up some good qualities along the way from these men. I love this game, and even if I would have been a punter, I would have put in as much time as needed to get better.”

Daingerfield won its last state championship in 2010 as it beat Cameron Yoe, 33-27, in the title game.

“The main thing for me right now is to start to build relationships with the kids and coaches,” Mason said. “From there, I want to set up some seven-on-seven football and a weight program for both boys and girls.

“For seven-on-seven, I’ve already confirmed our first tournament in the first week of June in Alvin,” he said. “We are going to run a spread offense, no-huddle, high-tempo that the kids are going to like.”

Numbers have been an issue when it comes to football in Danbury.

“We need to get more kids involved, and that is going to be a hard task, but we must get them out and have them buy into program,” Mason said. “But I will be looking for all sports to have a lot of participation. I’d like to see most athletes participate in not just one, but two or three sports. For sure, I’d like to get those kids that don’t play to come out, and maybe their friends will follow.

“Winning is contagious and there is a lot of pride in that with the kids and the coaches,” he said. “Kids will buy more into a program that is a winning program, because everyone wants to be a part of it.”

Mason got his bachelor of science degree from LeTourneau University and his master’s degree from Texas A&M University-Texarkana.

“He’s been a part of different sports, and has coached on both offense, defense and speciall teams,” Anderson said. “But he’s also known for working with students in academics for both boys and girls. He’s even gotten some scholarships for both as well.”

To this day, Mason still holds a powerlifting record at Pewitt, a 420-pound bench press in the 181-pound class.

“Football is my passion, but I love it all when it comes to sports for both boys and girls,” Mason said.