PDA

View Full Version : The storm is coming again in 2016

cowboyandchrist
04-27-2016, 08:10 PM
The Carthage Dawgs in 2016 will once again be a contender. The storm is coming, the super sophomores will be Juniors and hopefully stay injury free. would LOVE a rematch in the semi finals without seven starters out with injury. They were the best team in 4A last year and not sure the Dawgs could of beat them, even with all the players that were hurt.

Rocket Man
04-27-2016, 08:31 PM
The Carthage Dawgs in 2016 will once again be a contender. The storm is coming, the super sophomores will be Juniors and hopefully stay injury free. would LOVE a rematch in the semi finals without seven starters out with injury. They were the best team in 4A last year and not sure the Dawgs could of beat them, even with all the players that were hurt.

Some might say "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it"

regaleagle
04-27-2016, 09:58 PM
Sounds like some of these weather forecasts we always get in Texas, LOL. :taunt:

buckeyebob
04-28-2016, 08:28 AM
Herr we go again...gotta get past the Bux...be coming to see ya 9-16...great practice to get ready for Nacogdoches the following week...only thing wrong with this season...we need to spank Tatum too...sorry, maybe next year

coach
04-28-2016, 08:58 AM
Ballsy to be talking smack in April. I like it. We need something to wake this board up.

pancho villa
04-28-2016, 09:25 AM
Ballsy to be talking smack in April. I like it. We need something to wake this board up.

I agree all this standaround sport talk is depressing

coach
04-28-2016, 09:44 AM
I agree all this standaround sport talk is depressing

I am impressed you have finally admitted that standaround is a real sport. baby steps.

pancho villa
04-28-2016, 10:45 AM
I am impressed you have finally admitted that standaround is a real sport. baby steps.

NA's call it a sport anyway

Bullaholic
04-28-2016, 11:07 AM
What is the Gilmer vs Carthage series record over the last 10 seasons?

Rabid Cougar
04-28-2016, 11:22 AM

So are LeVega's.

regaleagle
04-28-2016, 09:24 PM
So are LeVega's.

Yeah.....LaVega is just getting started, huh? They looked very good for such a young squad.

waterboy
04-29-2016, 08:39 AM
What is the Gilmer vs Carthage series record over the last 10 seasons?

I think they've played 5 times in that span, if memory serves, with Gilmer leading the series 3-2.

2008 - Carthage 31, Gilmer 28 (quarterfinals; Carthage wins state)

2010 - Carthage 38, Gilmer 21 (in District of Doom - Carthage wins state)

2011 - Gilmer 39, Carthage 36 (District of Doom - Gilmer wins district)

2014 - Gilmer 58, Carthage 21

2015 - Gilmer 18, Carthage 15 (Gilmer wins state)

coach
04-29-2016, 08:51 AM
I think they've played 5 times in that span, if memory serves, with Gilmer leading the series 3-2.

That 2008 Carthage team was probably the most fun team I have ever watched.

Dawgs
04-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Let's see what happens with the offensive line, and if Hunter Townsend plays or not. Carthage is going to be good, but let's wait and see those 2 question marks. Townsend is committed to play baseball at Ol Miss as a sophomore. We got some kids coming up from freshman and JV that will be big time contributors. Got a QB who will be in 9th grade this year that is gonna be a stud. I am ready to see Ingram in action as a junior. Potentially the next big time play maker, and I mean big time. All American type skills. Nobody wants to see Carthage with a run game. It's just not fair when we can do both. Skill positions on both sides of the ball will be good. D-Line and LB will be good as well. I will agree a storm is coming, but I won't get ahead of myself. If La Vega is anywhere near as good as they were last year it will be tough to get by them.

But it will be the same thing as every year. We will drop a couple games early, and the Carthage fans will say Surratt's main concern is not wining games early. Everybody will call BS and say we are overrated. Then by the time playoffs roll around he will have everybody coached up and in the right positions, and have all the studs playing on both sides of the ball. Then the train will start rolling over teams and everyone will say they will never doubt Surratt or Carthage again.

buckeyebob
04-29-2016, 12:20 PM
That 2008 Carthage team was probably the most fun team I have ever watched.

naw...2014...it was real fun

I just like to play Carthage...and it appears that East Texas as a whole likes to see the game...always a full house regardless

Aesculus gilmus
04-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Gilmer won state in 2014, not 2015.

I would've thought Surratt might have followed Traylor and made a move to the university level by now. Does he just not draw the same interest or is he really satisfied spending the rest of his career in Bernie Town?

Don't take my moniker for your city personally. Gilmer has had PLENTY of shady characters over the years as well. It comes with the territory of being a small Texas town too close to Louisiana.

cowboyandchrist
04-30-2016, 06:22 PM

To all high school football fans. If you want to see some slobber knocking football, take the time to go and watch the Dawgs and Gilmer. It will be well worth the drive. I BELIEVE WE EVEN THE RECORD this year, but you never know when these two take the field.
I am very excited about the Dawgs this year, but nothing is new right. The super sophomores will be bigger, stronger, faster, and more experienced. I fell like our tailback can reach 3,000 yards this year, he is that special. He broke his leg in the game before the semi finals. Our super stud sophomore linebacker had over fifty tackles in five games and then missed the rest of the season. If all stay injury free, the Dawgs will be a contender. Big strong Oline and fast receivers, but like always coach S will work his magic and come playoff time the Dawg storm will start moving.

cowboyandchrist
04-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Gilmer won state in 2014, not 2015.

I would've thought Surratt might have followed Traylor and made a move to the university level by now. Does he just not draw the same interest or is he really satisfied spending the rest of his career in Bernie Town?

Don't take my moniker for your city personally. Gilmer has had PLENTY of shady characters over the years as well. It comes with the territory of being a small Texas town too close to Louisiana.
He loves Carthage and why go anywhere when you get what ever you need.

cowboyandchrist
04-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Some might say "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it"

That what they said about Navasota last year. The Dawgs have proven time and time again when they show up in the playoffs, they just win. If they loose, they just come back more fierce and determined than the year before. If memory serves me and at my age, not so well at times. The Dawgs have only lost two times in a row in the playoffs to one team, the Rice Birds.

cowboyandchrist
04-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Herr we go again...gotta get past the Bux...be coming to see ya 9-16...great practice to get ready for Nacogdoches the following week...only thing wrong with this season...we need to spank Tatum too...sorry, maybe next year

I hate that the Buckeyes and the Eagles are not playing this year. We have no idea what to expect this year wit the new coach, but anything has got to beat an 0 and 10 season. I give credit to those kids for playing as hard as they did all year. You have to admit when you loose 26 football players in 4A your chances of winning are not good.
I have heard nothing but good things coming from people in Tatum, they really like the new coach and the kids have been working their tails off.

Aesculus gilmus
04-30-2016, 07:44 PM
He loves Carthage and why go anywhere when you get what ever you need.

Forgot for a moment you were from Tatum. At any rate, Carthage is fortunate that Surratt doesn't seem to have the stars in his eyes that Traylor did.

I always felt in those last few years he was here that he was checking out of being Gilmer HC/AD mentally and emotionally and it was only a matter of time before he called it quits at the high school level. It came as a shock to many when he went to Austin, but not to me.

I think the key to this year's Gilmer-Carthage game even being competitive is whether Gilmer has a QB or not. As of now, we have no proven QB that I know of.

Dawgs
05-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Forgot for a moment you were from Tatum. At any rate, Carthage is fortunate that Surratt doesn't seem to have the stars in his eyes that Traylor did.

I always felt in those last few years he was here that he was checking out of being Gilmer HC/AD mentally and emotionally and it was only a matter of time before he called it quits at the high school level. It came as a shock to many when he went to Austin, but not to me.

I think the key to this year's Gilmer-Carthage game even being competitive is whether Gilmer has a QB or not. As of now, we have no proven QB that I know of.

Surratt has had plenty of chances to leave to the college level. It is my understanding he was offered the same job Traylor took at Texas. He gives every indication that he wants to stay. I think after his kids get older he will eventually leave, but it will be awhile. Carthage treats him very good. He can have whatever he wants. He lives like a king in small town East Texas. Plus he has a chance to win a championship every year. Not many places can offer what Carthage can to be honest. Top notch everything. Right or wrong the community has proven that we will spend any amount of money on the program. We will see what happens in the future, but for now he stays put.

Gilmer and Carthage 2016 cannot even be talked about yet. Both teams have holes to fill. One thing is for sure it will be entertaining. I will tell you the game to see this year is going to be Kilgore vs Carthage. Both teams had a bunch of stud sophomores last year. Both should be better this year.

buckeyebob
05-01-2016, 06:28 PM

Talk to The Rebel

poisoned10
05-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Surratt has had plenty of chances to leave to the college level. It is my understanding he was offered the same job Traylor took at Texas.

Not taking anything away from Surratt, but it is well documented that the job Jeff took at UT was offered to the Cedar Hill coach who turned it down. Subsequently it was offered to Jeff who obviously accepted.

I have no doubt he has had opportunities to go to the college level and quite possibly UT. I'm just saying not for that particular position.

waterboy
05-03-2016, 08:41 AM
I didn't proof read my post earlier. Yes, it was 2014 when Gilmer won state again.

Anyway, I knew Jeff was leaving. I felt like he was leaving after the state championship game in 2014. It was just a feeling. I also could tell over the last couple of seasons he was here that he was kind of checking out like Aesculus Gilmus said.

There's several question marks entering the 2016 season. We graduated a ton of talent, especially on defense, even though we were relatively young at most positions. The youngsters will have to step it up and continue the tradition. I think we will be fine, and I actually think the QB position will be improved this season. Coach Turner is still learning about being a head coach, and with another year under his belt, he should be a little more flexible in positioning players.

I'm anxious to see what kind of team we will have. I know we will be good. I just don't have a clue how good. We have a tough non-district schedule to help us prepare. The youngsters will have to come together and gel quickly. I do know that.

WOS1
05-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Well, since we're JUST "talking"... :2thumbsup

Even if the Bulldogs are improved they WILL NOT be the star of 4A... This years steamroller in 4A will be in SE Texas. Just wish we could've made the LaVega game work out. Then there would be no question at season's end. :)

slingshot
05-06-2016, 01:05 PM

Even if the Bulldogs are improved they WILL NOT be the star of 4A... This years steamroller in 4A will be in SE Texas. Just wish we could've made the LaVega game work out. Then there would be no question at season's end. :)Still disappointed our game with you guys fell through... would have been an epic clash of styles.

WOS1
05-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Still disappointed our game with you guys fell through... would have been an epic clash of styles.

Wylie? Yes me too. Would have been awesome!

buckeyebob
05-06-2016, 11:16 PM
I didn't proof read my post earlier. Yes, it was 2014 when Gilmer won state again.

Anyway, I knew Jeff was leaving. I felt like he was leaving after the state championship game in 2014. It was just a feeling. I also could tell over the last couple of seasons he was here that he was kind of checking out like Aesculus Gilmus said.

There's several question marks entering the 2016 season. We graduated a ton of talent, especially on defense, even though we were relatively young at most positions. The youngsters will have to step it up and continue the tradition. I think we will be fine, and I actually think the QB position will be improved this season. Coach Turner is still learning about being a head coach, and with another year under his belt, he should be a little more flexible in positioning players.

I'm anxious to see what kind of team we will have. I know we will be good. I just don't have a clue how good. We have a tough non-district schedule to help us prepare. The youngsters will have to come together and gel quickly. I do know that.

I hear Rice is looking good

Aesculus gilmus
05-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Jeff Traylor could pretty well always choose the right guy to start at QB, regardless of politics. He was willing to take the heat for the decision.

I think that was because he was from here and knew all of us so well that he could stand up to detractors. He also just has such an overwhelming personality (similar to Trump's) that any detractors are just going to get steamrolled anyhow.

cowboyandchrist
05-07-2016, 02:26 PM

Even if the Bulldogs are improved they WILL NOT be the star of 4A... This years steamroller in 4A will be in SE Texas. Just wish we could've made the LaVega game work out. Then there would be no question at season's end. :)

I agree the Stangs should be a force, but beware of the storm from the East. You know what happened the last time the Stangs met up with the Dawgs.

WOS1
05-08-2016, 03:40 PM
I agree the Stangs should be a force, but beware of the storm from the East. You know what happened the last time the Stangs met up with the Dawgs.

Yup, the Dawgs nearly left with a broken heart on a down year for us. This team won't be anything like that one. It will be a steam roller. Wish we could've played Carthage this year. Would have been fun.