PDA

View Full Version : Boys 4A State Golf Tournament @ Onion Creek in Austin starts Monday 4/25.

regaleagle
04-25-2016, 11:33 PM
The Class 4A Boys State Golf Tournament is a 2-day event and starts today at Onion Creek in Austin. The Argyle Boys won the Region 2 Tournament last week again and will attempt to repeat again as State Champ this season. This will mark their 5th straight trip to the State Tournament. Their strength is not low scoring by a couple of the 5-member team, but consistency in scoring among all team members. I suspect the Medalist Trophy will be won by a player from another school in this tournament, but look for Argyle to contend for the championship as a team. Not sure of the other teams qualifying for the tournament this year, but I betcha Andrews and Boerne will be there again......just guessing.

regaleagle
04-25-2016, 11:52 PM
With Day 1 complete now, looks like Argyle has the lead at 301 and fellow Region 2 contender Pleasant Grove is in 2nd place at 305. Monahans out of Region 1 had a good day also at 314, followed by Decatur at 315. Seminole is in at 319 Fredricksburg is lurking close to that number also. Fred had only one score posted today over 80, and it was an 89......so look out for them if they all shoot well tomorrow......they could make a run for the Trophy. Argyle is steady and has been all year, but one or two players could have a bad day and that's all it takes to make this tournament a horse race. Other teams competing in this year's tournament are Canton, Carthage, Huffman Hargrave, Madisonville, Liberty Hill and Salado. Good luck tomorrow to all the teams and hit em straight, boys! And make those short putts.....they count the same as a long drive.

regaleagle
04-25-2016, 11:59 PM
Looks like all 3 schools representing Region 1 are in the Top 5 after Day One.....Monahans, Decatur, and Seminole. I'm gonna predict that Fred makes a move tomorrow and Pleasant Grove will give Argyle all it can handle. Look out for Decatur as well.

coach
04-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Sam Bennett from Madisonville will run away with this one and he is only a Soph. He is also a talented basketball player and an all state tennis player. He is committed to A&M.

buckeyebob
04-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Golf looks like a dying sport...I don't play but in Gilmer, it seems to be dwindling...local CC has more memebers dying of Old Fartness with very few new members...Gladewater shut the doors for good last year & a new subdivision is going in...what is happening...not very many are competing.

Eagle Nation
04-26-2016, 08:06 PM
From what I've been told, Argyle has repeated as champs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regaleagle
04-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Argyle shoots 304 today for a 2-day total of 605 to win by 9 strokes over closest competitor Pleasant Grove......who shot 309 today for a 614 total. Decatur shoots 307 and moves into 3rd place with a total of 622. Monahans shot 313 for 4th, Fredericksburg 314, and Seminole 320 today to finish 4th, 5th, and 6th respectively. Carthage and Liberty Hill both improved on Day 2 to shoot 321 and 328 respectively to garner 7th and 8th place spots. Congrats to the Argyle Eagles Boys for repeating as the Class 4A State Champions in Boys Golf and to all the other qualifiers that participated and competed in this year's State Tournament. I'm sure it was both frustrating and lots of fun for everybody. Top Medalist(individual lowest score) awards went to Sam Bennett of Madisonville with a 66-72 for a winning total of 138.....fantastic golf! Runner-up medalist honors went to Alex Isakson of Argyle with a 75-70. Three players tied for this total......Isakson, Tommy Parker of Argyle, and Joseph Wolcik of Cleveland Tarkington.....all scoring the exact same each day of 75-70. But there was a playoff and Isakson got 2nd.....Wolcik got 3rd in Medalist play. They only award the 3 top spots for Medalist honors. Congrats to these fine golfers as well.:smoker::clap::wave:

regaleagle
04-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Golf looks like a dying sport...I don't play but in Gilmer, it seems to be dwindling...local CC has more memebers dying of Old Fartness with very few new members...Gladewater shut the doors for good last year & a new subdivision is going in...what is happening...not very many are competing.

I don't think it's the sport, but the country club membership that is dying. Nowadays, there are so many different golf courses to play that most younger golfers see no reason to pay membership dues and play the same course repeatedly. The "Leave it to Beaver" days of Insurance Agent Ward and happy housewife June is what no longer exists. Wally is now in his 70's, and I'm not sure about Beaver......but I think he'd be in his late 60's, hahaha. Eddie Haskell probably became a millionaire somewhere down the road and then blew it all. Lumpy lost 50 lbs and became one of California's first private gym entrepreneurs. Now his son is owner of the Gold's Gyms name.

buckeyebob
04-27-2016, 07:25 PM
What are you trying to say...Opie & I are the same age...& Gilmer is pretty much a Mirror image of Mayberry...& Eddie Haskell is one of my heroes.

& we are playing in Argyle this fall...9/09 Liberty Christian

regaleagle
04-27-2016, 09:53 PM
What are you trying to say...Opie & I are the same age...& Gilmer is pretty much a Mirror image of Mayberry...& Eddie Haskell is one of my heroes.

& we are playing in Argyle this fall...9/09 Liberty Christian

Looks like you and Ron Howard have me by a year, but I think Wally and "The Beave" are both older than Opie. So I hope that makes us all feel a little younger, hahaha. Good luck to the Buckeyes against the Warriors of Liberty Christian. It'd be downright disheartening to have TWO nemises from Argyle, LOL.

buckeyebob
04-28-2016, 08:30 AM
Looks like you and Ron Howard have me by a year, but I think Wally and "The Beave" are both older than Opie. So I hope that makes us all feel a little younger, hahaha. Good luck to the Buckeyes against the Warriors of Liberty Christian. It'd be downright disheartening to have TWO nemises from Argyle, LOL.

Argyle High is a pleasure...we will see how the new ones are...

firstdown
04-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Argyle High is a pleasure...we will see how the new ones are...

Don't you Buckeye's worry about Argyle light......you'll beat'em like a drum.

coach
04-29-2016, 08:52 AM
All I know is remember Sam Bennett's name. He will be a star one day.