PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens signs with the Astros

Keith7
01-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Roger Clemens is pushing back his retirement, agreeing to a one-year contract with the Houston Astros, ESPN has confirmed.

Clemens, the game's only six-time Cy Young Award winner, will be paid about $5 million to play next season, Houston television station KRIV reported Monday. He had said for more than a year that he planned to quit after pitching last season for the New York Yankees.

But Clemens was persuaded to join the Astros, his hometown team, after close friend and former Yankees teammate Andy Pettitte signed with Houston last month.

The Astros called a news conference for Monday afternoon.

"I wish him the best of luck," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Olney. "I'll always think of him as a Yankee. His time here was special. One of the best moves we made was making Roger Clemens a Yankee.

"I am surprised [that he's not retiring]. There was never any 'I'm 90 percent retired,' or '99 percent retired.' It was always communicated he wanted to go out a Yankee. But people have a right to change their mind. We weren't allowed to be a part of the process [of negotiating for 2004], for whatever reason. But I'm not going to dwell on this."

Clemens, 41, was 17-9 with a 3.91 ERA last season, his fifth with the Yankees. He spent his first 13 seasons in Boston, then went to Toronto for two years before moving on to New York, where he won World Series titles in 1999 and 2000.

His 310-160 record puts him 17th on the career wins list, and his 4,099 strikeouts place him third behind Nolan Ryan (5,714) and Steve Carlton (4,136).

Clemens' last appearance for the Yankees was a memorable one, in Game 4 of the World Series against the Florida Marlins. Flashbulbs popped repeatedly as fans photographed what they thought would be his final pitches.

Fifty friends and family members flew to Miami to watch the game; Clemens didn't get a decision as the Yankees lost to Florida 4-3 in 12 innings. Even the Marlins' players applauded after Clemens struck out Luis Castillo in what was thought to be his final major league pitch.

"So many people were using flash photography, it was quite amazing," Clemens said then. "I think everybody started understanding that it was going to be my last inning, my last hitter, my last pitch."

Clemens thought about pitching for the United States at the 2004 Olympics, but the Americans were eliminated in qualifying in November.

Clemens' outlook on retirement started to change Dec. 11, when left-hander Pettitte -- who also lives in the Houston area -- agreed to a $31.5 million, three-year contract with the Astros.

Houston, which has never been to a World Series, will head to spring training with a projected starting rotation that includes Clemens, Pettitte, Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Wildcat81
01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
That great news.The Astros are going to have one
heck of a rotation.Andy Pettitte,Roy Oswalt
Wade Miller, Rodger Clemens.

rholl
01-12-2004, 04:07 PM
I'd put the Rangers rotation against the Atros rotation anyday....of course I'd get hammered though!!! I get more disgusted with the Rangers everyday. I can't believe the fans still buy into it. Fist we have Arod, Pudge, Juan Gonzales, and Raffy 4 probable Hall Of Famers, but can't win cause management says don't have any money left for piching...Now Pudge is gone, Juan is gone, Raffy is gone and they tried everything they could do to trade Arod. Were they gonna get a stud pitcher for MVP Arod...no. Now those 3 are gone to free up money and they sign Kenny Rogers and Nelson cause everyone else is too "expensive"???? Excuse me...but I thought thats why they got rid of them is to get the pitching????????

<small>[ January 12, 2004, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: rholl ]</small>

JasperDog94
01-12-2004, 04:15 PM
That's what happens when you break the bank for one guy. I have little respect left for the Rangers. frown

Wildcat81
01-12-2004, 06:28 PM
JasperDog94:
That's what happens when you break the bank for one guy. I have little respect left for the Rangers. :(I'll amen that.Takes more than just one man.

BrahmaMom
01-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Yippee!!!!! Go Astros!

Leopards,class of 75
01-12-2004, 10:35 PM
It sounds like the Astros are serious about winning it all! The Rangers mistake has always been spending $$$$ on hitters and not much on pitching. Houston will have one of the top pitching staffs in baseball! Go Astros!!!!!