PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Beaches, Hotels, Condos, and Bars

Bullaholic
04-05-2016, 02:41 PM
This should be a thread on which nearly everyone should have something to contribute, plus providing some useful info now that vacation time is around the corner. Tell about your favorite beaches---by name and location, if possible, plus the best spots to stay, best restaurants, bars and quality of beach scenery and prettiest water. I don't know if we can let G2 post on this one since he is considered a full time beach bum and barfly....

coach
04-05-2016, 02:56 PM
This should be a thread on which nearly everyone should have something to contribute, plus providing some useful info now that vacation time is around the corner. Tell about your favorite beaches---by name and location, if possible, plus the best spots to stay, best restaurants, bars and quality of beach scenery and prettiest water. I don't know if we can let G2 post on this one since he is considered a full time beach bum and barfly....

My favorite beach I have ever been to was Maui. I can't remember the beach's name but it was unbelievable. I did go to Turks and Caicos one time and i was very disappointed in the beaches and water. Prettiest water was probably in Cancun and the best place I have ever stayed was Atlantis. That was awesome. Atlantis was cool bc I got to hang with Jason Terry. Also, an underrated place to stay is Port Royal in Port Aransas. It has a bad ass pool. And quite frankly, I have been to so many bars I can't name you a favorite. There is a bar in The Horseshoe at Shreveport that is pretty cool. That is all I have got off the top of my head. I will try and think of some other cool places I have been.

coach
04-05-2016, 02:57 PM
There are also a couple of good hotels in the riverwalk in San Antonio that are nice.

ronwx5x
04-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I spent quite a bit of time in Spain during the middle 70's when I worked for Uncle Sam. We had a great beach just south of Barcelona in a small village called Sitges. I also liked Clearwater Beach in Clearwater FL.

Bullaholic
04-05-2016, 03:43 PM
I spent quite a bit of time in Spain during the middle 70's when I worked for Uncle Sam. We had a great beach just south of Barcelona in a small village called Sitges. I also liked Clearwater Beach in Clearwater FL.

Went to the Costa del Sol in the middle 70's also, ron. Malaga, Torremolinos, and Fuengirola all beautiful. I remember a disco called "Crazy Horse" somewhere in that neighborhood.

pancho villa
04-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Mango Deck Bar on Medano Beach, Cabo San Lucas Mexico
If you can't have fun at this place you are a total tool!

jason
04-06-2016, 10:01 AM
we went here for our honeymoon - it was great
http://www.playaresorts.com/The-Royal-Playa-Del-Carmen

We are going to Destin, Florida in May, taking golf clubs. Any course recommendations?

Bullaholic
04-06-2016, 10:05 AM

We are going to Destin, Florida in May, taking golf clubs. Any course recommendations?

I think G2 is at or just left Isla Mujeres, jason. Destin is nice if you like lots of people...

coach
04-06-2016, 10:12 AM

I played at a course in Destin about 3 years ago. I forgot the name but its a really nice course for a decent price and its not far from the beach either.

coach
04-06-2016, 10:15 AM

Regatta Bay Golf and Yacht Club

http://regattabay.com/

Rabid Cougar
04-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Any beach on Grand Cayman. (by cruise ship)

Cinnamon Bay Beach on St. John USVI is freaking awesome. I have camped on the beach there several times. It is a National Park. Considered one of the 10 most Beautiful Beaches in the world.

Coronado island in San Diego is very nice as is Destin/Emerald Coast in Florida.

The beaches from the Big Sur, California (Monterey Bay) north to the Washington coast is pretty damd neat too. Very unlike the Gulf and Caribbean beaches. Usually very cold but the scenery is beautiful. Lots of wildlife. I stay mostly in small mom and pop motels/reosrts. Lots of them are right on he beaches.

Only have stayed at a "beach resort" in Montego Bay, Jamaica. If you like watching Canada Air 747's hang their tails over the beach trying to take off from the airport there that is the place to go. ( it is pretty neat) Wouldn't recommend any place in Jamaica. Reminds me of Iraq with the same smells and sites, only with jungles.

coach
04-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Any beach on Grand Cayman. (by cruise ship)

Cinnamon Bay Beach on St. John USVI is freaking awesome. I have camped on the beach there several times. It is a National Park. Considered one of the 10 most Beautiful Beaches in the world.

Coronado island in San Diego is very nice as is Destin/Emerald Coast in Florida.

The beaches from the Big Sur, California (Monterey Bay) north to the Washington coast is pretty damd neat too. Very unlike the Gulf and Caribbean beaches. Usually very cold but the scenery is beautiful. Lots of wildlife. I stay mostly in small mom and pop motels/reosrts. Lots of them are right on he beaches.

Only have stayed at a "beach resort" in Montego Bay, Jamaica. If you like watching Canada Air 747's hang their tails over the beach trying to take off from the airport there that is the place to go. ( it is pretty neat) Wouldn't recommend any place in Jamaica. Reminds me of Iraq with the same smells and sites, only with jungles.

Coronado island is awesome and so are the beaches at Desting. Gulf Shores is underrated and a lot closer than Destin. Also, Big Sur and Monterey Bay is unbelievable for the site seekers.

MUSTANG69
04-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro is very nice. Wasn't real impressed with the hotels. Food in the restaurants was great.

Bullaholic
04-06-2016, 01:19 PM
This is on my bucket list----pretty big bucket, though....

http://www.tahiti.com/island/bora-bora

bobcat1
04-06-2016, 01:29 PM
This is on my bucket list----pretty big bucket, though....

http://www.tahiti.com/island/bora-bora

According Redd Foxx the women don't wear no tops there.

Bullaholic
04-06-2016, 01:34 PM
According Redd Foxx the women don't wear no tops there.
You saw "Mutiny on the Bounty", too, didn't you, Bobcat? :D

d0tc0m
04-06-2016, 01:39 PM
If you ever get the chance, check out Foxy's on Jost Van Dyke, and be sure to get yourself a bottle of Foxy's Firewater Rum, because it's the only place in the world where you can buy it. Great little British Virgin Island bar - and the entire island is fantastic. Foxy is there most days, and he's hilarious. When he's not there, he has a life-size lookalike 'dummy' that he calls his 'Foxy Proxy' because he feels bad when people come to see him and he has the day off.

As far as beaches, I've been to a ton. California beaches are really pretty, but it's more of a harsh, rugged beauty. Those aren't great beaches - in my opinion - if you're into relaxing, or taking a dip in the water. I prefer the gulf over all other beaches/bodies of water, and I prefer any stretch of beach along Florida's 30A scenic highway, though Seaside and Watercolor are my favorites. I would recommend going either before Spring break, or just after it and before the summer season starts. Also, anywhere in the Keys is worth your time, and I'd check out Islamorada. Big Pine Key and No Name Key don't have places to stay, but they're good relaxation spots if you want to avoid the crowds of Key West and Key Largo. You can only get to No Name - and a few other small Keys - by boat, though. If you're a literature fan, though, definitely make the trip across 7-mile bridge to Key West to see the Ernest Hemingway home. If you plan it right, you can get in there at a time when its not overrun with tourists with their phones out. Bring some Benadryl if you're allergic to cats, though.