PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts story on Brent Mascheck

Scoop27
04-03-2016, 02:22 PM
From Brazosport Facts

More than 70 applications came in for the Columbia/Brazoria ISD athletics director/head football coach position in less than two weeks, but that list was quickly whittled down to one.

On Monday, the school board will name Tidehaven ISD Athletics Director and head football coach Brent Mascheck as the man to take over the Roughnecks program.

“As we went through the process, there were three applicants that rose to the top,” Columbia-Brazoria ISD Superintendent Stephen Galloway said. “We spent some time going over criteria, and based on what we assesed for us, coach Mascheck is a perfect fit for us, we believe.”

After four seasons at Tidehaven, Mascheck was 19-25 with the football program, starting with a 1-9 record in 2012 and finishing with a 7-5 record in 2015, playing East Bernard for the District 24-3A championship.

“It is a huge honor and I believe one of the top jobs in the state of Texas,” Mascheck said Saturday morning. “For me to leave a place like Tidehaven, which has been so nice to myself and my family, it was going to take a special job and I really feel like Columbia is one of those jobs.”

A graduate of Southwest Texas State — now Texas State — Mascheck has had several coaching stops, including Luling High School straight out of college. From there, Mascheck became the Terry Rangers defensive coordinator then took the same position at Foster High School when it opened in 2001.

In 2005, Mascheck took over his first program at Columbus, becoming the athletics director and head football coach. Then he moved on to Tidehaven.

“Both programs were down and numbers were not very good when I arrived at both programs,” Mascheck said. “Records were not very good, but in a short time we turned both of those programs around. At Tidehaven, we made it to the playoffs and had the best record there in the last 20 years.

“It is a new challenge at Columbia, they’ve had success and we want to build on that success and just keep improving day by day,” he said.

At Columbus, Mascheck was 37-47.

Columbia is riding a six-year run of making the playoffs, including last season when it finished 7-4 before losing to what was then Class 4A’s No. 1-ranked Navasota (52-16) in the first round of the playoffs.

“My No. 1 priority is that we are going to have a competitive spirit because competition makes everyone better,” Mascheck said. “We will be the best-conditioned team in the state. So we will play and compete hard and get after it. We will spend time in the weight room to get that great physical shape, and we are not going to beat ourselves. We will eliminate those mistakes as best we can and we will be fundamentally sound.

“I feel like Columbia has a lot of potential to be a great program, football-wise and overall-wise,” he said. “One of my goals is we want to compete for a state championship in football and have high standards for our kids, our coaches and everybody and for the overall program, we want to win the Lone Star Cup because it is a symbol of how great the entire program is.”

After meeting with his Tidehaven football team Friday, Mascheck will get to meet the Columbia Roughneck gridiron squad Tuesday.

Galloway was pretty happy with the selection.

“First of all, we cut down the applicants based on resume criteria for specific things we were looking for,” he said. “We had not interviewed for this position in awhile, and in fact I never had since I’ve been here. We brought in a variety of applicants, we had older head coaches, younger head coaches, coordinators from successful programs to give us a look of what we wanted. We wanted to make sure we were covering the spectrum.”

Fall training camp opens Aug. 1 for the Roughnecks with a season opener against Sweeny at Griggs Field.

Born in Shiner, Mascheck said there is no timetable as to when his first official day will be at Columbia.

“Tuesday I will meet the kids during athletic period and then have a meeting with the coaches and share my philosophy with them so they can get to know me,” Mascheck said. “There is no official date yet, I am going to be coming back and forth between both places.”

Saggy Aggie
04-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Thoughts????