PDA

View Full Version : Next Time Someone B*&ches About Collegiate "Student Athletes".

Rabid Cougar
03-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Show them this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIdOKqga8NU

Saw this same thing with my son.

panfan
03-28-2016, 09:56 AM
I'm starting to see it as well - his time for any type of studying comes usually after ten or 11 pm. Football becomes a full time job during the season.

Rabid Cougar
03-28-2016, 10:16 AM
I'm starting to see it as well - his time for any type of studying comes usually after ten or 11 pm.

And your boy's situation is probably the worst of them all. He's got three priorities to deal with.

Rabid Cougar
03-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Football becomes a full time job during the season.

The everyday fan has no idea.

coach
03-28-2016, 11:19 AM
You can thank Title IX for not paying student athletes.

Rabid Cougar
03-28-2016, 02:40 PM
You can thank Title IX for not paying student athletes.

It is not so much being paid it is having realistic scholarships (actual cost) that pay for their needs. UNT paid $780 a month. Baylor paid over $1,000 during the same time period. You cannot hold a job during the season(NCAA rules). Few places will hire you during the off season because they have had such crappy luck with previous "student athletes" (See NOTE) and screwy work out schedules during the spring and summer.

NOTE: I kid you not....actually had a rancher not hire my son for ranch labor because his full time Hispanic hired hands said they would not work if the rancher hired said son. Said they had to redo so much work from previous "student athlete" hands that it wasn't worth it. From my knowledge of the work ethics of some of his team mates I certainly don't doubt it.

coach
03-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Also, I don't see a solution to how much you would pay Leonard Furnette compared to someone on the diving team. And if you think cheating is going on now, then it would be over the top for sure.

Rabid Cougar
03-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Also, I don't see a solution to how much you would pay Leonard Furnette compared to someone on the diving team. And if you think cheating is going on now, then it would be over the top for sure.

from listening to the Baylor AD. Everyone gets the same amount.

coach
03-29-2016, 07:44 AM
from listening to the Baylor AD. Everyone gets the same amount.

That is certainly not fair lol.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-29-2016, 04:47 PM
The life of a college athlete isn't easy, and it's definitely not the fantastic imaginary lifestyle that fans typically think that it is. I'm not sure if there's a rule that prohibits student athletes from working during the season their sport is, but the reality is that nobody had enough time to get a job when I was playing football so it's not something that was ever brought up.

Rabid Cougar
03-30-2016, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure if there's a rule that prohibits student athletes from working during the season their sport is, but the reality is that nobody had enough time to get a job when I was playing football so it's not something that was ever brought up.

True statement