PDA

View Full Version : Navasota New Athletic Director and Football Coach

OldBison75
03-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Navasota Names New HFC/Athletic Director.

Patrick Goodman, current head basketball coach and former Assistant Football Coach was named the new Head Football Coach and Athletic Director this morning. Goodman is loved in the Navasota District and well respected. His ability to interact with the kids and the community will be a huge plus. This means that the Rattler athletic program will move forward and build on the program that Fedora has in place. GOOD HIRE!!!!

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2016, 09:46 AM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

coach
03-22-2016, 10:21 AM
They hired the head basketball coach to be the head football coach? Wow that's odd. So does this open up the basketball position?

OldBison75
03-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Goodman has been the defensive backs coach for 11 years in addition to the basketball coach. He is very familiar with the football program and will keep several of the assistants on staff. He may give up the basketball program at some point, but he has good assistants that can run the program. This is a great hire for Navasota in my opinion. I think you have a man that is well liked by the kids and the community and will continue the program without much change. I know that he is academics minded also and can continue to expand on the programs that Fedora was using such as tutoring and mentoring that helped reduce the academic problems in the district athletic programs. Ask anybody at the programs he was at before Navasota and they will tell you that Goodman is a great man and an excellent coach!!!

bobcat1
03-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Hope they don't treat him like Fedora. Good hire for the school though it seems. Kinda makes me scratch my head a little.

lostaussie
03-22-2016, 02:55 PM
He better win or he will be out like yesterday's news.

d0tc0m
03-22-2016, 03:16 PM
From an outsider's view, this seems like an underwhelming hire. That's not a knock against Coach Goodman at all. But I think those of us not from Navasota expected the Rattlers to hire a bigger name. The position certainly would've attracted some well-established, proven, big-name candidates, anyway. However, from what some of the Rattler faithful are saying, Goodman could be a good hire. Having been on the staff and part of that community for so long, and being an academic-minded coach, I think he can provide some stability and consistency in the wake of all this Fedora mess, which will be good for the kids and for the staff. Hopefully the players and assistant coaches rally around him and the Rattlers won't have to muddle through any sort of let down in the coming seasons.

Matthew328
03-22-2016, 07:50 PM
From an outsider's view, this seems like an underwhelming hire. That's not a knock against Coach Goodman at all. But I think those of us not from Navasota expected the Rattlers to hire a bigger name. The position certainly would've attracted some well-established, proven, big-name candidates, anyway. However, from what some of the Rattler faithful are saying, Goodman could be a good hire. Having been on the staff and part of that community for so long, and being an academic-minded coach, I think he can provide some stability and consistency in the wake of all this Fedora mess, which will be good for the kids and for the staff. Hopefully the players and assistant coaches rally around him and the Rattlers won't have to muddle through any sort of let down in the coming seasons.

A program as successful as Navasota should reward someone on the inside with the job.....makes sense to me

zebrablue2
03-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Navasota Names New HFC/Athletic Director.

Patrick Goodman, current head basketball coach and former Assistant Football Coach was named the new Head Football Coach and Athletic Director this morning. Goodman is loved in the Navasota District and well respected. His ability to interact with the kids and the community will be a huge plus. This means that the Rattler athletic program will move forward and build on the program that Fedora has in place. GOOD HIRE!!!!

Congrats to coach Goodman! This sounds like many assistants will be retained, which means a lot to the program...

BoneyFinger
03-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Replacing a Head Coach with one of the Assistant Coaches never works out. Just look at Katy and West Orange Stark. What disastrous results this caused.

coach
03-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Replacing a Head Coach with one of the Assistant Coaches never works out. Just look at Katy and West Orange Stark. What disastrous results this caused.

Any assistant could win if they could recruit like Katy.

Rabid Cougar
03-23-2016, 10:36 AM

Bingo!!!!!

toddg
03-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Coach Dixon said Katy doesn't recruit. Go visit and observe their offseason program, maybe you'll learn something.

coach
03-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Coach Dixon said Katy doesn't recruit. Go visit and observe their offseason program, maybe you'll learn something.

First of all, no coach in America would admit to recruiting. Secondly, I would kill to be able to observer their offseason program. I bet it is top notch.

ccmom
03-23-2016, 12:56 PM
They hired the head basketball coach to be the head football coach? Wow that's odd. So does this open up the basketball position?

Coach Sandifer was the head basketball coach at Wylie...and actually was the head football and basketball coach simultaneously for 9 seasons or so seasons. It's worked out fairly well. Granted, that was a year or two ago ;).

Good luck to the Rattlers!!

HEMOTOXIC
03-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Coach Sandifer was the head basketball coach at Wylie...and actually was the head football and basketball coach simultaneously for 9 seasons or so seasons. It's worked out fairly well. Granted, that was a year or two ago ;).

Good luck to the Rattlers!!

Coach Mike Dacus coached Navasota to the 1988 football championship vs SL Carroll and the 1990 basketball team that went 35-0. Not saying that it's a bad or good thing but it should be interesting.